• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we get fair value for DJ?

AU-panther

Before the trade I was thinking it would take something like our 2023 1st and 2nd, 2024 1st and 2nd, and 2025 1st to move all the way to #1.  Turns out we gave them 2023 1st and 2nd, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd, and D.J. Moore.

Under that scenario D.J.'s value was basically a 2025 1st and giving them a 2025 2nd instead of a 2024 2nd.

According to an article by Albert Breer that was recently linked by Mr. Scot they looked at D.J. as basically a replacement for the 2025 1st, which pretty close to what I was thinking.

Should we have been able to get more for DJ?  Would he get more on the open market than a 2025 1st?

Also, when the report came out that we turned down two 1st round picks for Burns the main argument against it was that they are future year 1st and therefore valued one round lower for each year.  

Under that logic we got a 3rd round value for Moore.  

Also, that same article said there was talk that it would take 2 1st and 2 2nds to move to a pick in the top 5.  From pick 5 to pick 9 is about 350 points which is a later 2nd.  So that 3rd round value isn't too far off.  Could we have traded Moore during the season and used that draft capital to move up to 5? 

2023 NFL Trade Value Chart (drafttek.com)

In regard to Moore's value you also have to look at his contract, a player's contract heavily influences their trade value.  A good player on a rookie contract is worth a lot more than a player you have to sign to a mega contract.  While Moore isn't on a rookie contract, he still has a very favorable contract.  He signed a long-term deal with us so we have already paid the signing bonus.  They are mostly just responsible for their yearly salary.  Roughly $50m for 3 years which is a bargain for #1 receiver.

When it comes to QBs you usually have to overpay in the draft, and if we find our franchise QB we will all be happy with the deal, but if I think Chicago did a good job in what they received.  They might miss on all of the picks but that is irrelevant at this point.

The better question is "Did the Bears get fair compensation for moving out of the Top 5?" 

That's why Poles wouldn't move from D.J. instead of a 2nd 1st. They can get what we gave them from the Colts and still leave with Carter or Anderson.

Edited by Rags
  • Pie 1

I don’t think so, honestly. But others will disagree. Dj moores had the worst case of qb play mixed with coaching, maybe in the history of the league lol. He’s also 25 and cheap. Maybe he never dominated in the league but we’re in a weird spot now, potential wise.

• Pie 1

Yea, we didn’t get as good a value as we would have had we traded him to the Packers for the reported trade that was offered. But then we weren’t expecting to let him go. The only reason we did was because the deal wouldn’t have happened otherwise.  Could we have given a 2025 first instead of a 2024 so DJ’s value was closer to a true first?  Theoretically yea that would have been right, but I suspect we got the best we could given the circumstances.  The Bears had the leverage and all things considered I think what we gave up was fair to both sides. 

He was a garbage time stat padding WR. Hardly ever a game changer and certainly not a WR that kept a DC up the entire week trying to gameplan against. 

He was good, VERY good, not great and the fact we avoided sending off another first round pick and him instead is a W in my book

• Flames 1
  • Poo 2

No. Because it’s about the value of more than just the player. It’s about how they impact the team. DJ Moore helps settle things for Chicago in what was the worst WR room to start the year. Fields now has a legit 1, and two 2s now. 

For us it takes away the only know quantity at pass catcher on our roster. Our rookie QB will likely be playing ball with other young players who haven’t had any real success in the NFL yet. 

It feels like more of a loss for us than just losing a good WR. We are now going to have guys playing out of position pending some major moves in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, Varking said:

No. Because it’s about the value of more than just the player. It’s about how they impact the team. DJ Moore helps settle things for Chicago in what was the worst WR room to start the year. Fields now has a legit 1, and two 2s now. 

For us it takes away the only know quantity at pass catcher on our roster. Our rookie QB will likely be playing ball with other young players who haven’t had any real success in the NFL yet. 

It feels like more of a loss for us than just losing a good WR. We are now going to have guys playing out of position pending some major moves in free agency. 

Now we've got the worst WR room in the NFL.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Varking said:

I feel pretty confident we’ll grab one of these FAs who have had success in the NFL. The good ones are past their prime but know how to play WR at a very high level.  It’ll be good enough to give a rookie WB a dependable target while other young playmakers develop for the long term

8 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Now we've got the worst WR room in the NFL.

As of today I completely agree. And none of these free agents are as good as DJ so we are taking a drop regardless. Everyone on the market is a 2 or worse, or some super talented underachiever like the guys in Denver. 

They don’t include him and we’re probably sitting here talking about signing Jimmy G and discussing if the Raiders got fleeced for 1

Including DJ most likely allowed us to keep our 2nd rounder and send SF’s 2nd rounder

I assume we’ll try our best to trade back in round 2 and recoup some 

• Pie 2

The price to move up to #1, and especially in a hotly contested QB scramble by a group of needy teams, is always going to command a premium.

I didn't want to make the trade up and losing DJ surely stings, but I'll hope that the forthcoming pick justifies the cost. If we have the QB position comfortably settled for a decade or more, then it will have been easily worth it. Fingers crossed.