• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Big Board & Pick 39: Offensive Skill Player Rankings

Bear Hands

Pending a WR signing (or two), I think it's fair to say we've set ourselves up to get, not BPA, but the BOSPA, come April.  Although I'll admit this EDGE class is tantalizing.  (Cue the new term)

So then, let's take a gander...

Consensus-ish Big Board (My estimated rankings based on The Athletic, Ringer, and a few other spots) green means trending up.

10. Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR ^

12. Quentin Johnston WR

14. Michael Mayer TE

17. Jordan Addison WR

23. Jahmyr Gibbs RB ^

25. Dalton Kincaid TE ^

26. Zay Flowers WR ^

30. Darnell Washington TE ^

33. Jalin Hyatt WR

40. Josh Downs WR

48. Luke Musgrave TE

52. Sam LaPorta TE ^

58. Zach Charbonnet

Takeaways:

No doubt team boards will vary, but I see a pretty damn substantial cliff after LaPorta.  Rashee Rice & Tillman are good but a major tier down.  Same goes with the TE and RB groups in my opinion.  Guys like Tyler Scott, Kraft, Achane, Spears, Schoonmaker could be great, but simply aren't in that higher tier.  

I know we already gave a lot away, I'm trying to stay realistic.  However, if we want to land a top weapon in this class, I think it could be in our benefit to move up a tad.  I'm not saying jump to 20 for a boatload, but if receivers are getting selected in the 20s, which I can see happening easy, then I say let's get aggressive again.

So my question RE: Rankings, -- Is it worth holding on, or would it be in our favor to use something like a 4th (this year or future), or maybe a 4th+6th type combo to slide up a bit in our favor?

I think 3rds are too high with capital given away for our shiny QB1, but it we want an effective weapon, do you want to swing high, or take a group of guys a bit lower tier in this draft?  After 39, 93 is our next selection.  That's 1.5 rounds right there.  

For me, it is starting to look quite appealing to grab a top guy somehow given who we've brought in.  A really solid foundation sans WR seems to have melded together.    

Creating a young trio like Stroud, Sanders, & Flowers could have so much freaking potential.

Thoughts?

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 4

Nice post, I haven't dug into prospects outside the QBs yet but plan to in the next few weeks. I think someone who is generally a top 30 guy will fall to us, prefer WR with the Hurst signing but of course will take a TE too if he's BPA. So no I don't think we need to give up more picks and force the issue with a trade up. 39 should be a good spot to add an exciting weapon.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, t96 said:

Nice post, I haven't dug into prospects outside the QBs yet but plan to in the next few weeks. I think someone who is generally a top 30 guy will fall to us, prefer WR with the Hurst signing but of course will take a TE too if he's BPA. So no I don't think we need to give up more picks and force the issue with a trade up. 39 should be a good spot to add an exciting weapon.

I'd like to think so, just running through some scenarios, and it's the remaining few from that top ~30ish could dwindle fast.  Particularly at the WR spot.  

On the flipside, if we can't quite land the guy we want, I could actually see a slight trade down, where we could still land let's say Musgrave or LaPorta, then we gain another top-100 pick.  That type of move could get us in position to select a few WRs in R3-4.  

Then the combos in that realm start to look something like a LaPorta, Cedric Tillman, Jayden Reed type grouping.  

Ideally, I'd love Downs or Hyatt to just be there to take.  

Edited by Bear Hands
  • Pie 1

I just took a look at the WR class last night and the majority of them are 5’10 or smaller and sub 180 lbs. lots of slot guys but no #1 outside a few guys that will be gone by 39 

Edited by RJK
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, RJK said:

I just took a look at the WR class last night and the majority of them are 5’10 or smaller and sub 180 lbs. lots of slot guys but no #1 outside a few guys that will be gone by 39 

@LinvilleGorge was mentioning Cedric Tillman the other day as a mid round sleeper.  He is 6'3" and was UT's WR1 before being injured most of last year.  He could be a steal later in the draft with some WR1 potential.  

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, RJK said:

I just took a look at the WR class last night and the majority of them are 5’9 or smaller and sub 180 lbs. lots of slot guys but no #1 outside a few guys that will be gone by 39 

Yeah that is what I've been noticing, even in respect to who we land via FA. 

There's a few smaller guys with outside potential in the vein of a Lockett or D Smith, but a lot of slot types and specific player types that need to be paired with a larger receiving room. 

I guess it's a good thing we've got TMJ at 6'3 but he needs to start producing.  

6 minutes ago, RJK said:

I just took a look at the WR class last night and the majority of them are 5’9 or smaller and sub 180 lbs. lots of slot guys but no #1 outside a few guys that will be gone by 39 

yep,  I really wish Zay had a couple more inches on him, despite having seen what Smitty could do.  I've read that the teams think there is better value for WRs in late second, third and even fourth, but no to really get excited about.  The past two or three years have seen a bunch of really good receivers....has to even out sometime.  Really hope Terrace can be at least a solid 2.

Great topic. 

I know I'm in the minority on two things - not high on Josh Downs and I think Tillman is the better NFL WR at Tennessee. 

I'd prefer to trade the 39 for Jeudy or Nuk, but if we are picking there, we take the BPA of WR/TE. 

My ideal dream scenario:

Trade #1 + 4th to HOU for #2 + #33 (Stipulation that they draft Young and do not trade out of that slot so we get CJ7). 

Use our #39 pick in a trade for Jeudy or Hopkins

Draft Flowers at 33.

Stroud

Sanders-Hubbard-Blackshear

Jeudy-TMJ-Flowers-Shenault

Hurst-Tremble-Thomas

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

I don’t think you just say…biggest need pass catcher be damned at 39. Some of the guys you have from 25 down will be there, but I think you still have to go BPA. Jack Campbell LB is the guy that I hope is around. Tackling machine, plus athlete, been working with LUUUUKE

Yeah I wouldn't want to feel like we're forcing it entirely, hence why I'm proposing the trade up idea.  Campbell could very well be available.  Others being Ojulari, Felix, and that Northwestern kid.   The EDGE class is really appealing.  

• Pie 1