• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Bryce young will be the pick and we should be excited

RIPTreyLance

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The combine measures a lot of things, but processing speed is not one of them.  You can't cherry pick your points--we are talking about different players with different strengths and different weaknesses. 

Again, I prefer Stroud, but I make arguments for Young to demonstrate objectivity.  Maybe it is time to wake up.😴  Kidding--but you have to look at the complete player--compare Young's college film to Russell's.  I'd take Young.

I’ve said all along young is the best qb in the draft but his size will not hold up.  Now people such as yourself are comparing him to Wilson and his size and it’s clear from the pictures they have completely different body types.  Russ is thick.  Young is tiny.  

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I have to wonder if the Panther staff is not having the same arguments about these players or if they are far beyond this aspect.

Suspect that they either got past the size thing at the combine after meeting him or they took him off the board all together.   I doubt there is an in between 

1 hour ago, SazmoRanger said:

Look at Georgia’s D-line compared to ours, basically the same over the last 3 years. Young hasn’t had injury problems but in the SEC at his size so I don’t see how anybody can say he’ll have injury issues in the NFL. Tua had injuries in college, so that makes sense. 

Exactly. There are a lot of pros on the UGA defense and Young handled them fine and with a relatively poor Alabama pass blocking line and mediocre receivers. 

• Pie 1

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

I’ve said all along young is the best qb in the draft but his size will not hold up.  Now people such as yourself are comparing him to Wilson and his size and it’s clear from the pictures they have completely different body types.  Russ is thick.  Young is tiny.  

Weight-031518-2.png

This chart says that the heavier the QB, the more often they get injured. In fact, the heavier each position is, the higher injury risk becomes pretty much across the board.

I dunno, I go back and forth on Young and his size day to day, week to week.

His game is immaculate and if he were at least 6' this wouldn't even be a discussion.

Dude is a smol guy though.

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If he succeeds he would literally be the first and the tiniest qb to ever do it.  You willing to gamble the #1 pick on that?  fug no.  

That's the big Question and I honestly don't know and can't answer that. Glad I'm not making the decision.

I can honestly say I'll be thrilled with either Young our Stroud for different reasons, regardless of who we pick.

2 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

That's the big Question and I honestly don't know and can't answer that. Glad I'm not making the decision.

I can honestly say I'll be thrilled with either Young our Stroud for different reasons, regardless of who we pick.

I think all signs point to cj.  And you can simply narrow it down to being the exact qb Reich wants for his offense.  He has never worked with a guy like young and he would have to do some pretty big adjustments to modify it.  

6 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Yes. Russ at 31 has a different body type than Young at 21.  He is 7/8" taller and when he was 21, weighed the same--you say that Young will not hold up and you state it as a fact.  My counter to that is a comparison with Wilson who has a very similar playing style--one that has allowed him to miss only 4 games in 11 seasons.  His size was not a factor because he was very elusive, smart, and did not take hits.  I am suggesting the same thing for Young.  By the way, Cam Newton was 6'5" and 250 lbs while Russell Wilson was 5'11" 210-215.  How many games did he miss during the 11 years Russ was with Seattle? 

• Pie 1

Just now, MHS831 said:

Yes. Russ at 31 has a different body type than Young at 21.  He is 7/8" taller and when he was 21, weighed the same--you say that Young will not hold up and you state it as a fact.  My counter to that is a comparison with Wilson who has a very similar playing style--one that has allowed him to miss only 4 games in 11 seasons.  His size was not a factor because he was very elusive, smart, and did not take hits.  I am suggesting the same thing for Young.  By the way, Cam Newton was 6'5" and 250 lbs while Russell Wilson was 5'11" 210-215.  How many games did he miss during the 11 years Russ was with Seattle? 

Russ at the combine had a different body.  I just linked the pictures

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I think all signs point to cj.  And you can simply narrow it down to being the exact qb Reich wants for his offense.  He has never worked with a guy like young and he would have to do some pretty big adjustments to modify it.  

I keep hearing that CJ is exactly what Reich wants in a QB, but what adjustments would need to be made? Young is short but he can read the whole field and throw over the middle. He can extend plays and throw on the run. I don't see how he couldn't thrive in Reich, or anyone's, offense. Reich mentioned he wants a smart, quick processing QB that can play the position like a Point Guard.

That's Bryce Young. But that's also CJ Stroud. I don't know if the decision is as cut and dry as everyone seems to be, and it looks like lines are being drawn in the sand about which QB everyone likes. I'm over here stuck in the middle liking them both for different reasons.

• Pie 1

30 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

I keep hearing that CJ is exactly what Reich wants in a QB, but what adjustments would need to be made? Young is short but he can read the whole field and throw over the middle. He can extend plays and throw on the run. I don't see how he couldn't thrive in Reich, or anyone's, offense. Reich mentioned he wants a smart, quick processing QB that can play the position like a Point Guard.

That's Bryce Young. But that's also CJ Stroud. I don't know if the decision is as cut and dry as everyone seems to be, and it looks like lines are being drawn in the sand about which QB everyone likes. I'm over here stuck in the middle liking them both for different reasons.

Can he?