• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This is why Bryce Young undoubtedly is QB1

Ivory Panther

Just now, thefuzz said:

You and I have very different meanings of the word safe and risky.

IMO giving a lead leading contract to a college coach who never worked in the pro's is risky.  Allowing him to have roster control is risky.  Keeping him for a 3rd year after shitting the bed is risky.

Hiring some of the very best coaches in the league seems rather safe to me.  Moving up to 1 to not risk not getting your guy at 8-2...that seems safe to me.  

Drafting the smallest QB in league history at 1 seems very risky to me.

Like I said, we view the words differently.

I guess we do see these ideas differently.

I'm looking at it from the investment aspect. They have a lot to lose with the moves made this off season, both from a financial standpoint (free agents and coaches), and from a team asset standpoint (players and draft picks). I think Rhule wanted to play it safe and therefore wasn't on the same page with Tepper. Tepper wanted to trade the farm for both Stafford and Watson. But settled for lower cost trades in Darnold and Mayfield. Maybe the other deals just fell through, but I look at how Rhule built his rosters and he always picked players he had history with or players that looked to have the least bust potential. And it didn't work out. And he clearly didn't have the same value on the QB position as the rest of the league.

• Beer 1

Just now, thefuzz said:

Cam played the position poorly.  Not that he was a bad QB, but that he chose to invite contact, as did his coach.  That's stupid, but that's who he is.

BTW, Young IS already an outlier, now you are asking him to be extremely lucky.  Possible, but doubtful....to me....and I matter zero.

I'm a Cam stan and loved every minute he was in Carolina, but agree with you...there were reasons why he did not succeed as much as he could have here. Injuries, rarely slid properly, took unnecessary hits and the coaching staff did very little to surround him with talent. 

I think Young has learned to play a style that works to his benefit....highly cerebral, anticipatory and knows how to reestablish the pocket to open windows for himself. Whether or not this translates from college to the NFL is the big question. 

NFL players are faster, hit harder and everyone is a 5-star stud compared to college. Throwing windows, defensive schemes and pressure is a different animal. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

CJ Stroud = Justin Fields 2.0. That OSU system w/ that level of wrs and oline against the inferior Big10 just yields great college results that won't be duplicated in the NFL. Bears would have dumped Fields and taken Bryce Young but for the size issue.  Also, whoever said the staff can coach up Stroud's mental processing speed WTF? You either have that (Young) or you don't (Stroud) just like you either have the size or you don't.  I'll be happy with either and feel comfortable letting the staff make the choice. It's not like Rhule is picking the qb. 

2 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I'm a Cam stan and loved every minute he was in Carolina, but agree with you...there were reasons why he did not succeed as much as he could have here. Injuries, rarely slid properly, took unnecessary hits and the coaching staff did very little to surround him with talent. 

I think Young has learned to play a style that works to his benefit....highly cerebral, anticipatory and knows how to reestablish the pocket to open windows for himself. Whether or not this translates from college to the NFL is the big question. 

NFL players are faster, hit harder and everyone is a 5-star stud compared to college. Throwing windows, defensive schemes and pressure is a different animal. 

Yeah my worries with Bryce come more from does those tight window throws he makes on the run and some of the other magic stuff he does happen in the NFL. Is his arm strong enough to thread the needle in NFL windows like he does in college. Sometimes the ball leaves his hand and it reminds me of Peyton Manning where the throw looks lame but ends up exactly where its supposed to, and I worry the NFL may end up blowing those up.

My gut tells me he'll find a way to do it in the NFL but I think how his magic stuff translates to the NFL is the more interesting argument about Bryce than anything that keeps getting hammered on, and I understand any skepticism.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

CJ Stroud = Justin Fields 2.0. That OSU system w/ that level of wrs and oline against the inferior Big10 just yields great college results that won't be duplicated in the NFL. Bears would have dumped Fields and taken Bryce Young but for the size issue.  Also, whoever said the staff can coach up Stroud's mental processing speed WTF? You either have that (Young) or you don't (Stroud) just like you either have the size or you don't.  I'll be happy with either and feel comfortable letting the staff make the choice. It's not like Rhule is picking the qb. 

Tell me you never watched CJ Stroud play by telling me

• Pie 4

4 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

That middle paragraph I agree with 100%.  He seems to be a very smart QB that knows the position inside and out, but....and that's a big ole but.....it's yet to be seen if his playing style can translate, and for how long?

Again, at 9 and not giving up anything, I'm pulling the lever, and hoping for the best....after trading so much, I'd just be very hesitant to risk my coaching career on a hope and a hunch.  But that's just me.

• Beer 2

1 minute ago, rebelrouser said:

Justin Fields 70.2% CJ Stroud 66.3%. Their stats are very similar.  Also, OSU has never produced a quality NFL qb despite all of their qbs looking great in college.  

Man they are like complete opposites…. Stats don’t always equal style of play. Pickett was getting close to Burrow level stats, but they are completely different. However if you are wanting to use stats pull up those rushing stats. 
Fields is an elite athlete with a cannon for an arm that uses his legs to run around/over defenders as well.

Stroud is a pocket precision passer who used Brees to model how to play the position. He has been compared to Goff and Burrow by our staff. You need to actually watch these guys play and not just read off stats.

Might as well compare Young to Mac Jones while you are at it.

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Did you check to see if Haskins did the same thing?  He completed 70% of his passes and had 50 TD passes in 2018.  He averaged 3.57 TD passes per game that year--and he busted in the NFL.  Justin Fields averaged almost 3 TD passes per game at Ohio State during his career there, and in the NFL, he is averaging about 1 TD pass per game (24) played, and he has 21 pics.  The OSU QB curse scares me, so yes, after a strong last game, combine, pro day, etc. I think it is quite possible that Stroud's stock is inflated--unless he breaks the mold--and maybe we have the staff to do it,

Aside from all 3 playing at Ohio State ,I  don't think Haskins or Fields are good players to compare D.J. Stroud with.

I saw Haskins play very decently beating the Panthers in Charlotte, when he was with Washington and had his head on straight at the time..

#1:  Haskins had the physical skills to succeed but his character issues, drug problems, etc., things that Stroud doesn't have was his down fall.

#2: NFL scouts were critical of Fields when he played at Ohio State for his lack of great accuracy, something Stroud excels in..

#3: To sum it up, Stroud's pinpoint accuracy and solid character, elevates him above Haskins and Fields,  making him worthy of being the #1 Overall Selection in the 2023 NFL Draft, in my opinion..

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

Aside from all 3 playing at Ohio State ,I  don't think Haskins or Fields are good players to compare D.J. Stroud with.

I saw Haskins play very decently beating the Panthers in Charlotte, when he was with Washington and had his head on straight at the time..

#1:  Haskins had the physical skills to succeed but his character issues, drug problems, etc., things that Stroud doesn't have was his down fall.

#2: NFL scouts were critical of Fields when he played at Ohio State for his lack of great accuracy, something Stroud excels in..

#3: To sum it up, Stroud's pinpoint accuracy and solid character, elevates him above Haskins and Fields,  making him worthy of being the #1 Overall Selection in the 2023 NFL Draft, in my opinion..

Harrington, Akili Smith, and Mariotta sure didn’t stop LAC from taking Herbert early. Jamarcus Russell and Matt Flynn didn’t keep the Bengals away from Burrow. Always scout the player.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

Stopped at Stroud=Fields. Shows you have no idea what you are talking about. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

6 hours ago, gofightwin said:

LOL WUT?  McCaffery is like 20lbs of muscle heavier than Philly Brown ever was. McCaffery is built like a body builder with tree trunks for legs. I doubt Brown ever tipped the scales > 185.   At the combine CMC was 202, Brown 178.

I was making a mockery of your first post.   By your response, It would appear you understand how fallacious your reasoning is (in terms of my response to you).

Combine weight and playing weight are separate entities.   Some sites list Philly Brown's weight as 190 and as high as 200.  Sites have CMC at around 200 to 205.  

Either way I was poking fun at your Bryce Young to Philly Brown analogy (or at least alluded to it).