• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

John Ellis on Stroud v Young

TheSpecialJuan

43 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

Young is inaccurate when he can’t get his whole body into deep throws. That, along with being the tiniest NFL QB in the modern era is very concerning.

How about actually drafting the most accurate passer in the last several years?!

The fact we're still having this conversation is why I personally wouldn't have traded up to #1.

I don't think either QB is a sure thing to succeed in the NFL and for the price we paid they simply have to be a franchise QB. That's an even longer shot. 

• Pie 2
  • Poo 4

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Young being compared to Manziel and Mayfield. 

Season 17 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

I guess it's not as bad as referring to him as a project.

I mean if you can't see the style / size comparison I don't know what to tell you.

The big knocks on Young are

a) his size (whether he can take NFL hits and see the middle of the field)

b) whether his style of play flies in the NFL (he's not an elite athlete and we've seen it fail with Manziel, Mayfield and [to an extent, even though he's a much better athlete] Murray). 

If anything I have that reaction when anyone compares him to Mahomes. 

• Pie 2

the way I see it: Young has a higher ceiling, Stroud has a higher floor.

Young could be a spectacular QB, or he could suck ass and we could go 3-14.

Stroud could be a great QB, or he could be an average good QB and we could go 8-9 or 7-10.

tbh to me there's not much difference between 3-14 and 8-9. in fact i'd kinda rather be 3-14 so we can suck and make changes, rather than drift in the middle for another 6 years, not bad enough to fire people but not good enough to win anything.

• Pie 2

24 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Stroud “struggled” with pressure earlier in the season. His rating under pressure still isn’t terrible it’s just a good bit lower than his highest in the NCAA rating when he has a pocket. In fact his overall rating was the highest in the NCAA even including the under pressure rating. Later in the season when he actually got accustomed to having some pressure he did much better, just check out the UGA game. 

Everyone and their dog has seen that Georgia game 1000 times. If that’s the Stroud we’re getting then yes, I’m taking him over Young but is that who we’re getting? 

There are 2-3 times each game he uses his legs and makes plays. If he ever started doing that consistently then oh boy 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

The fact we're still having this conversation is why I personally wouldn't have traded up to #1.

I don't think either QB is a sure thing to succeed in the NFL and for the price we paid they simply have to be a franchise QB. That's an even longer shot. 

Yup

I was very against trading up to #1 this year because I didn't think either was a can't miss prospect (let's be real, if one was, the Bears are trading Fields and not the pick) and thought we'd have to give up too much to get it (which we did).

But that ship has sailed and now we're here, which is why I'm going with Stroud because I think he has a higher floor due to Young's size and increased risk of injury.

If we landed on the top pick originally, and kept all the other picks and DJ, then I'd be more open to taking Young and that risk, but not after what we gave up.

Worst case scenario, Stroud is a serviceable middle of the road QB.  Worse case scenario, Young can't stay healthy and doesn't even get the 5th year option picked up because of it.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, Growl said:

But they are getting drafted which is extremely, extremely difficult.

i get what he saying, Stroud obviously played with 5 of the best receivers in the country the past two seasons, but Bryce is still throwing to nfl players.

Alabama might have one wr go in round 5 and their line was better run blocking than pass blocking. It wasn't the usual Alabama team.

37 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Has there ever been a QB prospect that struggled with pressure in college but didn’t when they played in the NFL?

Honest question because I feel like that would be a very tough area to improve in

It all depends on how the staff view this. If they think they can coach up (no shortage of minds) then roll the dice. If they think Bryce is the better choice go with that. But you can't coach Young into a bigger frame.

1 minute ago, *FreeFua* said:

Everyone and their dog has seen that Georgia game 1000 times. If that’s the Stroud we’re getting then yes, I’m taking him over Young but is that who we’re getting? 

There are 2-3 times each game he uses his legs and makes plays. If he ever started doing that consistently then oh boy 

I’m just saying he had the best rating in all of the NCAA even with all of these “bad” pressure moments. If the opponent is getting pressure constantly like UGA was of course we are going to roll him out and let him make plays with his legs. If they don’t then he will make them pay from the pocket.

7 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Young being compared to Manziel and Mayfield. 

Season 17 Omg GIF by America's Got Talent

I guess it's not as bad as referring to him as a project.

Nothing whatsoever wrong with a Mayfield comparison. Mayfield was more productive though with better completion percentage and passer rating and a little bit more of a downfield passer than Young is.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

I think it's too easy to get caught up in highlight videos.  This is the NFL and you have to go with the QB who is a better pocket passer, and 5in taller.  Young might be great, but I'm predicting if he is, it will only be for a few years.  

• Pie 4
  • Beer 3