• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Different Perspective on the Young vs Stroud Decision

Matthias

Which pick could you live with if he doesn't pan out, and the other does?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which pick could you live with if he doesn't pan out, and the other does?

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The Bryce Young supporters are "lunatics," and the Stroud supporters just "folks?" Interesting. 

Did you miss the thread of a loud BY fan crapping on Jake Delhomme and Cam Newton for not falling on the fumble? If there are Stroud or AR folks doing that please show me. Thanks bud.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

3 minutes ago, top dawg said:

The Bryce Young supporters are "lunatics," and the Stroud supporters just "folks?" Interesting. 

"Folks" have an opinions and support them. "lunatics" create troll alt accounts and spam a message board with their opinions. I might have missed the emphatically pro-Stroud accounts, but I haven't seen any.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, frankw said:

Did you miss the thread of a loud BY fan crapping on Jake Delhomme and Cam Newton for not falling on the fumble? If there are Stroud or AR folks doing that please show me. Thanks bud.

Yeah It did miss it, but even without knowing the context of what what was said, that's just one guy. You know, as well as everyone else, that there is lunacy on all sides.

This thread really just serves as confirmation bias to the quarterback that you were already leaning towards.  The reality is, if the quarterback that the Panther's choose busts, and the other goes on to have a pro career, it's going to suck regardless.  

Where I sit, I do have a preference, simply based on things I've read or watched, but I'm not going to pretend like I have a better understanding of these guys over people who are paid to do this, have a far deeper understanding of the game, and have countless more data to compare against.  Whoever the Panthers pick, will have my full support and trust.

Keep pounding

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I'm in the Stroud camp, only because I believe (wrong or right) that height is a massive risk factor and not because I don't like Young.  But I think it would be interesting to throw Richardson into the poll.  He reminds me a lot of Josh Allen coming out.  He's got the most natural tools and he's also the youngest and the most developable.  If you were willing to sit and develop him for a year, man, he absolutely has the potential to carry a franchise.  For me 1A would be Stroud and 1B would be Richardson, and then Young.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

You have to take a swing on one.  Neither one is a perfect candidate, but we have to pick somebody.

I've listened to my fair share of pundits talking about each player and it really comes down to these main points:

Young: Better player, IT factor, VERY SLIGHT/Narrow frame.  What happens the 5-6th time Young get's obliterated in an NFL game?

Stroud: One of the best throwers of the football in several years.  Checks a LOT of boxes.  But is the Georgia game a one off or a precursor to NFL success?  There are legitimate concerns about the Day-Ohio State offense, but Stroud is so much better than the others.  A bit robotic.

It comes down to what the team wants to do.  It could completely be possible in three years we see that Stroud and Young aren't it, and AR and Levis are the two best QBs in the class.  Look, that's just how random the NFL can be.  I'm fine with the team making the best choice and moving on from there.

I thought this would be an exciting time as a fan.  Instead, it's just endless, circular logic.  Ugh!

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

This is really easy for me, Young has the most obvious and biggest negative on either players scouting report.

If we draft him and his size is an issue and Stroud is a great player, we’ll be idiots for taking that risk with an equally talented option available.

This is why Stroud is the pick and always was the pick. This is why we traded for the #1 pick and not the #2, bc Young isn't an option for us. 

So the book on Young is he is small, not that great of an athlete, not very mobile, has a decent not elite arm, has to move in the pocket to create throwing lanes but does anticipate pressure and works well when a play breaks down.

Now ask yourself why in the hell would any coach want to work with that?  You are starting behind the 8 ball with him.

• Pie 3

1 minute ago, Fright said:

This is why Stroud is the pick and always was the pick. This is why we traded for the #1 pick and not the #2, bc Young isn't an option for us. 

I think after the combine stroud was 99.9% the pick but I do think in their minds they probably could be swayed by AR because of his incredible workout.  Not a large chance but they would at least do their due diligence on him

8 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

This is really easy for me, Young has the most obvious and biggest negative on either players scouting report.

Devil's advocate--If the two were equal in size, who is the better QB?  Justin Fields is the best NFL QB to ever come out of Ohio State--he is completing below 60% of his passes and has 24 TDs and 21 Ints.  Before him?  A long line of busts who were solid at Ohio State.

Name a QB who has had better WRs than Stroud?  Is the Big 10 an easier conference than the SEC in terms of passing attack?  In other words, is Stroud really that good, or is he fool's gold--another product of the system?  Who is better throwing under pressure (Stroud or Young)? 

Don't get caught up in the visible measurables--there is a lot you cannot see.  Pro Days and Combines simply shows what the body can do--it does not measure the mind/intelligence of the QB.  That is what the Panthers are doing, but to assume that Stroud will break the OSU curse or that Young will be oft injured because he is small is bias.

So--who do I want?  Stroud--if  he can process nearly as effectively as Young.  Young, if he can process as quickly as I think he can--because nobody is his equal in that area, and that is the most important quality of any NFL QB. 

Sure--many may disagree--but the mind test is the most important comparison, imo.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I thought this would be an exciting time as a fan.  Instead, it's just endless, circular logic.  Ugh!

Gives us something to do in the offseason--many people collectively making solid points for both QBs.  I think it is fun--builds suspense.

• Beer 1

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Devil's advocate--If the two were equal in size, who is the better QB?  Justin Fields is the best NFL QB to ever come out of Ohio State--he is completing below 60% of his passes and has 24 TDs and 21 Ints.  Before him?  A long line of busts who were solid at Ohio State.

Name a QB who has had better WRs than Stroud?  Is the Big 10 an easier conference than the SEC in terms of passing attack?  In other words, is Stroud really that good, or is he fool's gold--another product of the system?  Who is better throwing under pressure (Stroud or Young)? 

Don't get caught up in the visible measurables--there is a lot you cannot see.  Pro Days and Combines simply shows what the body can do--it does not measure the mind/intelligence of the QB.  That is what the Panthers are doing, but to assume that Stroud will break the OSU curse or that Young will be oft injured because he is small is bias.

So--who do I want?  Stroud--if  he can process nearly as effectively as Young.  Young, if he can process as quickly as I think he can--because nobody is his equal in that area, and that is the most important quality of any NFL QB. 

Sure--many may disagree--but the mind test is the most important comparison, imo.

One big issue for me is that I have serious doubts Young can do in the NFL what he did in college. I don’t think he has the arm to be “a Mahomes”. On the other hand I think Strouds game translates really well. And I love him as an awesome pure passer.

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Now do Alabama QBs. The best current NFL QBs from both of these schools didn't finish college at that school. They've both produced plenty of NFL QB flops.

• Pie 5