• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chris Mortensen: Bryce Young is the pick, they all love Bryce Young

TheSpecialJuan

12 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

I just don't want to see the inevitable happen. If he's that great of an athlete he needs to change positions in the NFL to maybe WR for his own safety and chance of actually having a long NFL career.

Matt Corral and CJ Stroud are at the NFL average height but ideally body wise you need a AR, Cam, Big Ben(early), Dan Jones, Manning, Levis, Herbert body type to survive behind the trenches is a super big, super strong, super fast NFL.

Drew Brees, Doug Flutie, Russell Wilson are not the norm, but acceptions.

Young is a huge mistake, years ago as skilled as he is he'd be a position change candidate instead of this kooky #1 QB talk.

He doesn't have the required size for the next level and will struggle to put on and hold weight.

maybe they should opt for somebody like Kyle trask or Carson strong instead

• Beer 1
  • Flames 3

8 minutes ago, stan786 said:

Stroud and his slight frame also dealt with a shoulder injury. Gotta worry about him as well.

I thought the same thing until a saw him next to AR-15 putting on a gun show. Extra 5-10 he's good.

He will be elite. His being able to actually stand in the pocket and deliver pin point strikes will translate immediately in the NFL. 

The Young "buying time" argument is futile. That becomes less to none at the next level. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

The Young "buying time" argument is futile. That becomes less to none at the next level. 

Why do you think that?  Plenty of guys made a career out of buying extra time to throw.  Russ is the obvious example.  Early Big Ben was a master at it.  Then you have guys like Mahomes, Allen, etc.

I don't know why Young's best trait, or among his best traits, would somehow become non-existent in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Mage said:

Why do you think that?  Plenty of guys made a career out of buying extra time to throw.  Russ is the obvious example.  Early Big Ben was a master at it.  Then you have guys like Mahomes, Allen, etc.

I don't know why Young's best trait, or among his best traits, would somehow become non-existent in the NFL.

Russ was a threat to run.  Young not so much.  

• Poo 1

1 minute ago, Mage said:

Big Ben would have guys hit him and slide off, Russ, not guite sure there.

Buying time was part of Bakers game, not so good, Sam was billed as dual threat, he tried to buy time with his feet and got put out for the season.

There IS no time in the NFL. STROUDS game fits the NFL, reading, throwing on flatform, precision passes, scramble as last resort. We've NEEDED that kind of QB. Cam was fun and could buy time but with 6'5" 240lbs he made others PAY.

• Pie 1

Russ is not a realistic comparison. One he was always a threat with his legs. Two he had a horseshoe up his ass for a number of years. Three he won one Super Bowl where the defense and Marshawn did a ton of heavy lifting and where Peyton Manning put on the worst passing performance in a SB I've ever seen. If anything his decline the last several years should scare anyone away from drafting a QB even shorter than him at #1 overall.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

4 minutes ago, Growl said:

Being able to move the pocket and move within is definitely a translatable skill, anybody who says other wise is probably someone who had admitted on here they have a difficult time scouting quarterbacks 

I don't think the issue is whether or not it translates the issue is there's pretty much 0 percent chance of us seeing that aspect of his game much with our offensive staff. If he's the guy they are not going to risk their number 1 pick. Reich and our OC will be focused on getting the ball out quick and limiting the possibility of Young getting hit repeatedly.

Edited by frankw
  • Poo 1