• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive line depth

Stuart Smith

With all the attention on who the #1 draft pick will be I hope there is enough thought given to the offensive line. Taylor Moton is one of 2 NFL players to play 100% of the offensive snaps in the last 5 years. (Source www. Panthers.com) As reliable as he has been sometimes it may be easy to not have a contingency plan. We know Corbett will not be ready opening day, it remains to be seen how well he plays after his ACL injury. According to reports Christensen will be recovered from his broken ankle, but will he be 100%? Not trying to hit the panic button, but if we don’t have enough depth to cover any missing pieces it could make life very difficult for a rookie quarterback regardless of who the pick is. Am I overreacting? 

• Pie 1

LT: Ikem Ekwonu
LG: Brady Christensen - Cade Mays
C : Bradley Bozeman - Sam Tecklenburg
RG: Austin Corbett - Deonte Brown
RT: Taylor Moton - Justin McCray

We could definitely use depth at all positions on the line. I think only Mays, maybe McCray are the only reliable depth we have.

• Pie 2

40 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

LT: Ikem Ekwonu
LG: Brady Christensen - Cade Mays
C : Bradley Bozeman - Sam Tecklenburg
RG: Austin Corbett - Deonte Brown
RT: Taylor Moton - Justin McCray

We could definitely use depth at all positions on the line. I think only Mays, maybe McCray are the only reliable depth we have.

A bit of clarity based on my understanding of the OL, which could be wrong:

We signed Larnel Coleman from the Dolphins Practice Squad during the season.  He is a swing T, to the best of my knowledge.  Because he was added like that, many of us are not aware of him or how good he is....This from NFL.com following the 2021 draft:  "Durable three-year starter with experience at both tackle positions. Coleman's long arms have proven to be effective at slowing his opponent's rush momentum and he's savvy with his hands in his pass protection approach. His knee bend is average, which hinders his consistency protecting the edge in both the run and passing games. He's athletic in space and should be able to compete in all run-blocking schemes. While his pass protection is average by NFL standards, he has talent to work with and offers swing tackle potential..."

McCray was developed by Campen in Houston to play center, so he can backup many positions.  Here is the article: https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/23/texans-justin-mccray-credits-james-campen-transition-center/

Christensen is the backup LT---think Travelle Wharton.

Mays can also play Center.  Tecklenburg may be history.

So we have depth--it is a bit thin.

Here is how I see it

LT:  Ewonu, Christensen, Coleman

LG: Christensen, Mays, McCray

C : Bozeman, McCray, Mays

RG: Corbett, McCray, Mays

RT: Moton, Coleman

I agree that we will probably add 2 linemen, getting the number to nine, but we have depth with 7, even after I took the liberty of cutting Tecklenburg.  It is not ideal to have your LG as your primary LT backup, but if Coleman is a true swing T, we could have it covered--on paper.

I see a G added late. Not sure about T if they like Coleman.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 3

8 hours ago, csx said:

OL we have shown interest in:

Steve Avila, Center, TCU (PRI)

Anthony Bradford^, Offensive Tackle, LSU (COM, PRI)

Chandler Zavala, Offensive Guard, N.C. State (PRI)

I don't really know about these guys yet--except that I think Bradford could be a stud.  Are we going to draft them late (after a trade)?  Are we hoping to make connections for Undrafted free agents?  It does reveal the strategy for depth.  (I think Bradford projects to a G, but I am not up to date on these guys yet).