• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panther Needs Assessment

MHS831

Great post brother, great analysis love to see these types of posts. Personally, I believe CB to be our second-largest need due to Jackson's Achilles tear that's the absolute worst possible injury for any athlete but especially a player like Jackson who is so reliant on his speed and is undersized. I doubt he returns before week 5 next year, and will not be the same player when he returns. That makes CJ our #2 and absolutely horrid depth behind that(Taylor, Oliver, possibly Rowe). We need at least two new corners for depth, I doubt we don't walk away from the Draft with at least one CB.

• Beer 1

This is excellent.  Nice work.  

Rather than a mock, this is nice as it's more understanding who could be the batch of names we consider rather than getting bogged down on the same few for each round.  

Running through scenarios, McDonald, Ojulari or Simpson are the guys see consistently being available come 39.  One (or more) will be there, and the value will be awesome.  May even present an opportunity for a minor trade down to gain capital and maintain a top-45 pick/land a guy in the same tier.  

Well done.  

I took a similar approach and looked at who is likely locked in on the 53 after free agency, then figuring out where there may be openings.  We have 6 picks in the top 5 rounds so all should be expected to make the team.

On offense, there are probably 20 guys that, barring injury, will likely be on the team.  Not going to list them, but our 21-25 spots are QB, WR, TE (unless you like Ricci), RB (unless you like Blackshear), and G.  I think we go QB in the first, WR in the 4th, RB in the 4th, and G in the 5th.

On defense, there are 23 guys that seem locked in.  The 24th and 25th guys that might be on the bubble are Roy and STO.  I think CB is a huge need and if we can get a startable guy in the 3rd, that will be the play.  We also need a pass rusher, so it would not surprise me to see one of the guys MHS mentioned go to us in the second - but my hope is Drew Sanders at 39.

If we want to take advantage of this strong TE class, I could see us try to move Chinn.  I don't really want to, as I love Chinn, but he's due to get paid and I'm struggling to see where he fits.  The timing might be right.  Likewise, I don't really see where YGM fits, although unlike MHS, I think he is a good player when healthy.

Corral is also be a possible trade option if we are looking to upgrade and develop another DT.  We may be able to turn him into a 5th and replace Roy.

I'm really looking forward to another wheeling dealing Fitterer draft. 

Great post.

I completely agree that we need Edge and CB help. 

I think OL depth needs to move up a notch.  It is unlikely we go the whole year with no injuries to that unit and I don't think we have quality depth there. 

I am not convinced Sanders is a big upgrade over Foreman.  Foreman has a yard more YAC and Sanders is leaving the best OL in football.  I really think we need a bruiser RB in the draft or FA.  If Sanders get hurt we are stuck with Chuba.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, jfra78 said:

Personally, I'd rather put Luvu at OLB opposite Burns and get a true ILB like Campbell in the 2nd. 

You are not alone--I think he will do both, and that could decrease the need at LB---hard to know until we see it.

1 hour ago, poundaway said:

Great post.

I completely agree that we need Edge and CB help. 

I think OL depth needs to move up a notch.  It is unlikely we go the whole year with no injuries to that unit and I don't think we have quality depth there. 

I am not convinced Sanders is a big upgrade over Foreman.  Foreman has a yard more YAC and Sanders is leaving the best OL in football.  I really think we need a bruiser RB in the draft or FA.  If Sanders get hurt we are stuck with Chuba.

Especially if we draft Young, but I can argue our second need for CB, WR, Edge--TE and OL just fall by default in my mind---but I see that point.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Especially if we draft Young, but I can argue our second need for CB, WR, Edge--TE and OL just fall by default in my mind---but I see that point.

Actually I'd be just as worried for Stroud.  He is less slippery, less mobile and processes slower and Johnson Jr. is probably going to be one of the first few  OT's off the board.

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

the question is if the top RB is on the board when we pick in the second (kid from alabama) do we pull the trigger? I think we should and probably will. 

I doubt Gibbs will be there.  Maybe I guess.  As tempting as it may be, 39 is awful high for a RB.  I want a RB, I don't know if I want to use 39 on it and the edge class is deep.