• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers to draft LG early?

MHS831

🤣

7 hours ago, The Huddler said:

no dumb fug knows whats happening

if you pretend you know, you are n ass clown.  fugin dymbasses.  stfu 

Thanks for sharing the "dumb fug" point of view.  We don't aim to exclude any subgroup here on the Huddle. 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

You can't have enough good offensive linemen. 

We've had too few before and we never want to be there again.

Some of the chatter (I think 45 comes to mind) has been about a swing T.  To me, a swing T is almost as important as a starting OL.  So instead of trying to draft one, let's take a look at the roster--BC is an ideal candidate for that.  He was not stellar on the OL last year-the weakest link.  With a short QB, we need no weak links up the middle.  I definitely see what they might be thinking.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

47 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

🤣

Thanks for sharing the "dumb fug" point of view.  We don't aim to exclude any subgroup here on the Huddle. 

Quite an influx of intoxicated belligerence this week haha. Nice thread, good focus on some prospects no one is considering, which tends to be the guys we end up drafting quite often.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Quite an influx of intoxicated belligerence this week haha. Nice thread, good focus on some prospects no one is considering, which tends to be the guys we end up drafting quite often.

Just trying to read the tea leaves--and you know, it sorta makes sense.  However this is like going to the car lot to buy a Corvette and driving away with a mini van.  The van is practical and may fit your needs better, but you really wanted to make a big splash at the class reunion.   I digress.

9 hours ago, SteveSmithTD89 said:

Andrew Vorhees in the 3rd on essentially a redshirt year would be my preference for the position and focus on TE/WR/Edge at 39. .

His brother Jason has some major character concerns 😐

(their mom was kinda out there too)

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 2
  • Flames 3

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

The Panthers have brought in 4 OG candidates, suggesting that they are looking at the position very carefully.  Brady Christensen scored a 57.3 on his PFF score, and he had 11 penalties at LG last year.  Rumor is they want him to back up the OTs as the swing T, necessitating the need for a starting LG.  While Cade Mays is an option, I would assume, there might be a early Guard selection needed to protect Bryce.  One of the things that the Saints did when Brees was at QB was they kept stud OGs in front of him in pass protection, and it also improved the run game considerably.  So maybe, instead of drafting another WR early, the plan is to upgrade LG.  Two guards that have visited the Panthers for a private workout/meeting (numbers indicate player overall ranking in Bruglar's draft report):

• 40. Steve Avila, Center, TCU (PRI)  Possible pick at #39.

• 77.  Chandler Zavala, Offensive Guard, N.C. State (PRI)  possible pick if we trade back or he falls to 93.

About Avila:  Overall, Avila needs to better understand his biomechanics to access his explosive power, but he plays with a strong base to
anchor and control at either guard or center. He fits both zone and gap schemes and should be an immediate starter as an NFL rookie.

The other guards the Panthers brought in (some listed at other positions, but all have G ability):

• Anthony Bradford, Offensive Tackle, LSU (COM, PRI)  Probably a day 3 pick, and can play  (possible pick at 114)

• Nick Saldiveri, Offensive Guard, Old Dominion (LOC—did not count against 30 visits)

Yes--this screwed up everything about my mock draft.  I blame myself.

This is a smart move 

add to it that Corbett is coming off a acl in January and it makes total sense 

granted Brady is coming off ankle surgery too but he was not a horrible LT either. He struggled on the right side but he can improve 

can never have enough quality lineman particularly with a smallish QB 

• Pie 1

We will be taking a OL if the draft falls that way. Could be early could be late. My money is on that 114 pick. I don't think Chandler will make it that far though. Bradford is in play there. 

1. CJ

39. DJ Turner

93. DJ Johnson 

114. Best OL or a skill guy RB, TE or WR.  

Nose tackle, Skill if OL is the 114 and another corner are options rest of way. 

• Pie 1

Just like Vonn Bell fixed 2 situations this could have somewhat of the same effect.  We really don’t have a swing tackle. If one goes down we are in trouble. 

Draft a guard and keep Christian as a swing tackle.  Not ideal but I think this shows more that Brady was a Rhule pick. Campen may not be too high on him. 

The other thing to remember he really utilized Quentin Nelson in the Colts scheme.  Dude was pulling everywhere. maybe looking at Brady not fitting that scheme. 

• Pie 1

I like that Braeden Daniels kid out of Utah.  Could play T and G.  Good swing depth, future starter type.  

Plays LG, LT & RT.   Only allowed 5 sacks on 1,400 pass blocking snaps in school.  That's pretty nice.  Leaner, good bend, athleticism, but powerful enough.  6'4, a hair under 300

1 hour ago, Shocker said:

@Varking should we be looking at O’Cyrus Torrence?  I don’t know much about him.  Thoughts about picking him at 39?  Would he be worth that pick?

He’s an absolute stud. Best player we had a Florida this year. He was a full time starter for Billy before he was a Gator and never allowed a sack. Last year at Florida he only allowed one sack. If he was available at 39 I’d be surprised. A lot of mocks have him going in the first. Would love for him him to drop to us in the second!

• Pie 1
  • Flames 3