• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tom Pelissero compares quarterbacks

Mr. Scot

3 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'll add one tidbit on Richardson that Panthers fans might find interesting...

Said an NFC QBs coach: “When you stand next to him, it’s like standing next to Cam (Newton), but [Richardson] throws the ball better. 

Well that’s just horse poo. He’s shorter, lighter and throws significantly worse. 

• Pie 1

On Russilo's podcast yesterday, DJ and McShay say they are hearing Levis at 4 even if Stroud is there, which is bizarre. They are also saying they don't know any of the teams that wants to spend the pick in the top 11 on Richardson, and that if he doesn't go 12 to Houston (Houston is leaning towards Tyree or Anderson at 2), they don't know where Richardson can go, maybe all the way to the end of the first and a team trading back into the first to take him

Edited by amcoolio
  • Pie 1

4 hours ago, t96 said:

We take Bryce, Stroud goes to Indy at 4, AR to Seahawks at 5 and then I think the Pats are gonna trade up with the Raiders by giving away Mac Jones + more and then take Levis at 7.

That’s a really good scenario for each qb Levis might make some noise in NE. 

5 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bryce Young

At this point, it’ll be a major surprise within the league if the Carolina Panthers draft someone other than Young at No. 1 overall on April 27, his diminutive stature notwithstanding.

“The guy who can just play is Bryce Young,” an AFC GM said. “Is he going to be 185 pounds? He’s such a good processor and thinker and accurate, it probably works. They’re taking him. Just write it in. I would bet my house.”

Said an NFC executive: “I’d be shocked if Bryce didn’t go first. If I was Carolina and I wanted to win right now, that’s the guy I would take. I think he’s the most ready to do it. He’s a phenomenal kid. He’s unbelievably intelligent. (Former Alabama OC) Bill O’Brien holds him in really high regard, and it matches up when you meet with him.”

A two-year starter and team captain who won the Heisman Trophy and Maxwell Award as a true sophomore in 2021, Young brings everything to the table that teams look for in terms of makeup and skill set. He’s just smaller than most NFL QBs, measuring in at 5-foot-10 1/8 and a beefed-up 204 pounds at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine.

“Bryce is super talented. Good arm talent. Probably of all of them, seems to be the most groomed to play quarterback,” an NFC coordinator said. “He’s a super smart dude -- almost feels like talking to a coach at times. Bryce has obviously got the size issues that can become really real when it comes to the guys that’s going to be in front of you, being able to withstand contact and having to manufacture ways to change your arm angle, get a window. But when I watch his tape, if you didn’t tell me how tall he was, I wouldn’t know, because it never showed up.”

Scouts who went through Alabama last fall say Young was playing in the mid-180s, and he has a naturally smaller frame.

“If Bryce was bigger -- and I don’t necessarily mean taller, just if he wasn’t such a frail body -- it’d be, blowing away, him as the No. 1 pick,” another NFC coordinator said. “He’s a natural thrower. Accuracy’s easy for him. That’s the difference between him and the rest.”

Said an NFC scout: “Bryce is just the most natural processor, mover. I hate saying it, but that Steph Curry comparison is actually pretty good, because he’s so nifty and quick and smart and gets the ball out and is accurate. I don’t think the height affects his play at all. He has natural anticipation and field vision and somehow is able to see things a lot smoother than Russell (Wilson) even. Then it’s just kind of a risk, durability-wise. But you’ve seen him get hit, you’ve seen him get up. And he’s so instinctive -- how many times is he going to get a free rusher from the back side that he doesn’t see? He understands how to evade and get down and not get completely smoked.”

In 36 college games (27 starts), Young completed 65.8 percent of his passes for 8,356 yards and 80 touchdowns with just 12 interceptions. After playing as a reserve behind eventual first-round pick Mac Jones on the Crimson Tide team that won the national championship in the 2020 season, Young missed just one game over two seasons as the starter, with an AC joint injury to his right (throwing) shoulder last October that lingered for the rest of the season. He wrapped his collegiate career by opting to play in the Sugar Bowl on New Year's Eve and was named MVP in a win over Kansas State.

Said an AFC GM: “I think Young is the most polished passer (in the 2023 class). I would be concerned about his frame, less from the perspective of 'Is he going to be able to perform?' and more from the perspective of 'Is he going to be able to hold up year after year?' We saw it with Kyler (Murray). We saw it a little bit with Baker (Mayfield). And [Young’s] not necessarily the freak athlete to avoid all sorts of contact. That wouldn’t prevent me from taking him high; I think he’s going to be a really good passer and a really good quarterback. I just think there might be some type of planning where you have to invest a little bit more in that No. 2 quarterback spot in the event [Young's] frame doesn’t allow him to be this 17-game starter for 10 years in a row.”

Despite the concerns over his stature, his hand size (9 3/4 inches) is solid for a smaller QB. One NFC quarterbacks coach praised Young's accuracy: "You haven't seen that coming out of the draft in a long time." Young also scored off the charts on the S2 Cognition test some teams use to measure players’ ability to process information.

“He’s got unbelievable instincts and awareness in the passing game,” another NFC QBs coach said. “If you threw out the height on this kid, I don’t think it’d even be a debate about who’s going No. 1. He’s just got such an unbelievable feel for the game when you watch him. You can see what he can do for your team in terms of being able to distribute the ball. His processing shows up on tape.”

Said an AFC scout: “It was Bill O’Brien’s offense. [Young’s] like second behind (Tom) Brady in terms of football intelligence. He could handle everything at the line of scrimmage probably like an NFL quarterback. Super poised. He’s accurate. He’s got a good arm -- not a great arm, but it’s still good at all the levels. Super poised, too. You just don’t see him rattled. They didn’t lose that Tennessee game because of him. You’ve just got to worry about his size. He’s tough. He’s taken some big-time shots from some big dudes; he’s hopped up. It’s just, how many of those are you going to take?”

Coaches can manage that in part by the style of offense they build around Young.

“If you’re going for best combination of route anticipation/accuracy, you’re going Bryce Young -- but then also knowing you’re not going to do a lot of read-option/QB runs with him and you’re going to be willing to manipulate the pocket,” a second NFC executive said. “I always put accuracy and anticipation ahead of arm strength, [and Young’s] got the best combination of the two in the last several drafts. You’re just getting it in a 5-10 frame. He’s not Kyler, where he’s super twitched up and elusive. He’s an outlier, where he’s going to take shots because he’s not an elusive runner. So that off-schedule stuff -- he’s going to take contact. What does that look like over a 17-game season?”

Everyone who has interviewed Young during the pre-draft process has come away impressed, which makes sense: He has been groomed his entire life for this moment. And he’s still only 21 years old.

“He could be an offensive coordinator right now," said a third NFC executive. "He’s that calm, that mature, that special.“

Another series of huge check marks for my boy Young,  he’s the pick

7 hours ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Yeah I'm as high on AR as anyone but this is absolutely insane. Cam is one of the best passers of the ball I have ever seen.

Come on man.  I love Cam - but he has one of the lowest completion percentages of any starting QB the last decade.  Overthrows consistently plagued him. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Come on man.  I love Cam - but he has one of the lowest completion percentages of any starting QB the last decade.  Overthrows consistently plagued him. 

Comp % is an absolute meaningless stat. I’m not even trying to be a dick but this has been accepted by the hardcore football community for AWHILE. So much more goes into it, like scheme, supporting cast, difficulty of throws the system is asking the guy to make. Etc.

• Pie 2

17 minutes ago, FuFuLamePoo said:

Comp % is an absolute meaningless stat. I’m not even trying to be a dick but this has been accepted by the hardcore football community for AWHILE. So much more goes into it, like scheme, supporting cast, difficulty of throws the system is asking the guy to make. Etc.

I get that - but I’ve watched every single Cam Newton game and as much as I love him, he always had accuracy issues.

• Pie 1

I think Cam lacked a little bit in touch. There is something to be said though for the quality of supporting cast we had for him. A couple of years of Smith, and Olsen was a mainstay, but after that it was a steep drop-off, either in consistency, quality or both. When he was in his prime though, he was one of the most unique players ever, and was very problematic for defenses. But that was a while ago now. It's unfortunate how things ended.

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, Smithers said:

I get that - but I’ve watched every single Cam Newton game and as much as I love him, he always had accuracy issues.

Cam didn’t have accuracy issues, he maybe overthrew a tiny bit more than average, but he was excellent at deep balls, good at placement and overall accuracy. He just rarely had any receivers and a terrible OC that couldn’t scheme a receiver open if it was 11 on 7 for most of his career. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Kinda relevant to the discussion...

Just like we've said on this here site, Bryce's ceiling is now. Anthony Richardson hasn't been coached yet, never had a good squad around him but is THE prototype of what a 2023 QB IS in the evolutionary mold of The Legend of Cam Newton. Even Matt Corral can run the rock. You've got to do some open field running, even Tom Brady is forced to do that.

Why do people dig mines?! The reward. Reich understands that. But the Prius crowd including the media just won't stop.

Stand up coach!

Edited by rippadonn

4 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Cam didn’t have accuracy issues, he maybe overthrew a tiny bit more than average, but he was excellent at deep balls, good at placement and overall accuracy. He just rarely had any receivers and a terrible OC that couldn’t scheme a receiver open if it was 11 on 7 for most of his career. 

He often started off a little hot on his outs and what not, then usually settled in. People forget that when he actually went into a QB friendly system in 2018 he ran it really well. Like 68% completions and the overall yards/td's etc didn't really dip that much

• Pie 1