• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dave Tepper has become a major asset for the Panthers

TheSpecialJuan

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

The franchise has been terrible under his ownership.

Losing season after losing season, the PR disaster of the training facility etc etc.

How has he been a massive asset again?

Seriously? He said he was learning the 1st year and a 1/2. Then Covid hit and he couldn't get in the building. Last year he gets in an Evaluates and starts making the changes necessary. Sounds like a smart man who learned a new business. 

The thing I can appreciate with Tepper is that he genuinely cares about wanting to win. He's not some no-show owner who only cares about turning a profit every year and doesn't care about building a sustainable winner. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Pup McBarky said:

He made a massive mistake with Rhule, but he seems genuinely like a guy who learns from his mistakes and is determined not to repeat them. This is a very good thing.

I've been one of his biggest detractors here but the moves since the end of last season have been very encouraging. I'm not at the point of calling him a "major asset" but it's a step in the right direction. Needs to show up in the W column and fast however.

• Pie 1

https://www.panthers.com/video/draft-day-1-press-conference

if you watch this press conference at the end Tepper keeps repeating how this off-season they’ve stuck to “the process”. The process, the process, the process. Being as thorough as possible in all aspects. As opposed to recent years where it was just all Rhule’s “vision” apparently. It seems Tepper has truly learned from that mistake, and ultimately the Panthers might be better off for it in the long run. Maybe Rhule was right about Jay-z’s seven year plan after all….

Edited by Cary Kollins
  • Pie 1

I'll comment on this in 3 years but I am at least encouraged that he realized what a terrible hire Matt Rhule was, made a 180 and hired the most experienced coaching staff ever assembled, and went big to finally address the QB position in the draft. After a half decade of what seemed like perpetual bad luck and a foot on the Panthers throats keeping them down in the dumps, maybe finally some sunshine is cracking through the clouds. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, LegioX said:

The man made a mistake on his first coaching hire. Who hasn’t made a mistake in something you just started and have no real world “experience?” The key is learning from it and moving on. What I see now with this coaching staff is that he has learned his lesson.

Because he gave the entire kingdom to a middling college coach who had never had high-level success and though he was outsmarting the entire league in the process - do you not remember how visible he was in the early days? The trainwreck was so obvious and yet he did it anyway. He gets zero grace for such a tremendously and obviously stupid move.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, OldhamA said:

I mean that tweet shows that he pressured the GM to trade up to #1 overall. 

That's a meddling owner who knows about as much about football as your average Huddler.

Besides his vast wealth I just don't see how he's been an asset. He's had whatever the opposite of the Midas Touch is so far.

You aren't really giving him any credit on things though. If you want to look at extremes, and call him meddling, then we should assume your preference is for an owner that publicly doesn't care? 

No thanks.

There have been big mistakes and missteps so far. No argument there. We all know what those errors have been. He does care though, and I think calling him meddling is a bit disingenuous.

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

Results matter.

I like the direction we appear to be headed but until we get there, he has been an extremely unsuccessful owner.

Yeah, I don't know that I'd be ready to call him an asset just yet, though I am prepared to stop calling him an asshole.

We've said for a while that what he most needed to do was defer to the football people, and it looks like he's finally doing that.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, WUnderhill said:

Hiring Matt Rhule was his biggest mistake. There is a lot to like of what he said in this press conference. He admits he’s not a football expert, so he’s not a cocky know-it-all. He let Scott and Frank and the scouts do their job and stayed out of the way. He has a good grasp of what it means to own a business and hire the right people so that you can let those people do the job you hired them for.

Admitting you've made a mistake is not the same as displaying that you're an asset.  Otherwise we can say the same about Houston's owner who moved up to number 3.  If we start winning, and this qb pick works out then we may be able to say that Tepper is in asset.  So far he has destroyed everything he's touched as the Panthers owner including the turf. 

lmao

being a sports team owner has to be the easiest fuging job on the planet when your customers are emotionally invested and you can literally be the worst in franchise history AND nfl in general the past five years and you’re still an ‘asset’

nah, it’ll be clear when the owner is an asset for starters we need actual results 

tale a peak at other teams fan forums. looks like every team is going to the playoffs this year. not surprised, it’s hype/draft season

but I am a bit surprised people around here think they’re any different

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, d-dave said:

Well, he made a lot of mistakes.  A LOT of BIG MISTAKES.

But then it's looking better right now.  Was he saying "I order you to get the first pick?"  Or had he, Scott and Frank been talking about trading up, and Tepper was giving his go-ahead and do whatever it takes to get the best player?  There's a bit of missing context there.

I think the search for Fitterer, Reich and his staff, and the Qb evaluations shows that he's learning when and how to use his mouth.

One of the things I've heard repeated several times by Fitterer (Reich too, I think) is some form of "we appreciate him empowering us to make decisions and backing that up with his wallet".

In basic terms, that amounts to writing checks and getting out of the way.

I don't know whether that or a backhanded compliment like "well at least he's not f--king sh-t up anymore" qualifies you to be called an asset, but it's an improvement and I'll take it.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1