• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Mallet drowns in FL

CAPantherFan

Been in the water my entire life, boater, diver, spearfisher, surfer, etc....I was a lifeguard at a well known beach here in NC many moons ago, and was an EMT as well, specializing in ocean and swift water rescue. 

I'm a fish, and even I won't go into the ocean sometimes if it's ripping, unless I have flotation.

DO NOT let your children go into the ocean without you keeping your eyes on them and you yourself being at least in the water, less than waist deep.  Learn to spot rips while picking your spots, and for God sake, take floatation with you so that if you have to go get someone you don't die.  Even a cheap boogie board with the wrist leash on will save you and/or your victim....a blow up raft/toy won't do it...you will lose it.

Rule no. 1.  DO NOT PANIC.  If you do, you will die.

• Pie 8
  • Flames 1

Very sad news..   

as  The FUZZ said above think before you go out. Have many eyes on your friends and family.

When you live on the coast, you hear about a drowning way to often.  Swimming in the ocean is not like swimming in a lake, pool , creek, etc.. Some days it's better to just catch a few rays than to go for a plunge. 

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'm about to move to the beach. It'll be interesting how much more I'm about to learn about currents and tides and whatnot.

Try to go against all of your NYC refugee instincts, and actually listen to the locals when you move there... lol

20 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

I'm about to move to the beach. It'll be interesting how much more I'm about to learn about currents and tides and whatnot.

Just learn to spot rips.  Every single beach is different and every tide/wind can change what it was just an hour ago.

On 6/28/2023 at 4:04 AM, cardiackat88. said:

You’re serious…same happened to my and my brother. 

i remember the light being SO bright as I was under helpless.

A lady was swimming my brother to shore on her back and cried really hard when she had to push me off.

On 6/27/2023 at 10:06 PM, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

The ocean is no joke. I got caught in an undertow as a kid. I can still easily picture looking up and seeing the sky through the top of the water. I was all the way under. Somehow I managed to get out. I was like 8 years old.

Damn! Y'all just unlocked a memory for me. I remember that exact thing happening to me, and that exact feeling of looking up to the surface, and I remember some guy saving me. I called my mom and asked about it and she had no memory of this at all. So now I'm thinking it was her boyfriend at the time and he probably was responsible for watching me and didn't want to let on it had happened with my mom, lol!

Do beaches have sinkholes?

I ask because I remember when I was a kid I almost drowned because I stepped in what felt like a sinkhole. Thank goodness my uncle was nearby and saw me go under water. I surely was lucky that day. No doubt in my mind I would have drowned if it wasn't for my uncle saving me.

Ever since then I probably haven't stepped foot in beach water again. Even when I would go to the lake I wouldn't go but so far. Im 33 now and I never get in the beach water when we go on family vacations.

I live at the beach and go to the beach just about every weekend.  Current is no joke and I rarely go into the ocean past my knees.  I've been caught in a riptide before and it is scary stuff.  Also, sharks are everywhere.  

• Pie 1

54 minutes ago, jtm said:

I live at the beach and go to the beach just about every weekend.  Current is no joke and I rarely go into the ocean past my knees.  I've been caught in a riptide before and it is scary stuff.  Also, sharks are everywhere.  

Hahaha, you got no idea man.

There are a LOT more out there than you think.  Not uncommon to dive on a wreck just offshore in about 35-45'  and see dozens and dozens.

Shoot a fish, and you get to see even more.

36 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

There are a LOT more out there than you think.  Not uncommon to dive on a wreck just offshore in about 35-45'  and see dozens and dozens.

Last time I got the "uh Oooo im in trouble" water feel. Long time go amy girl friend(s) and me were very far away for the shore. Then out of no were 100s and 100s of jelly fish popped up. We all put it in 5th gear towards safe. Ocean will humble anything/one...

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

I offshore fish and use to spearfish.  I don't spearfish for this very reason because the sharks know the sound of a spear and it attracts them.  No thank you.  

• Pie 1