• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Mallet drowns in FL

CAPantherFan

Slow news cycle but remember he had a cannon arm.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/former-nfl-quarterback-ryan-mallett-drowns

Former NFL quarterback Ryan Mallett drowned in Florida , Deltaplex News reports. He was 35.

Mallett was entering his second season as the head coach at White Hall High School in Arkansas. Mallett played at the University of Arkansas.

The newspaper reports that Mallett was transported to a Florida hospital from a beach and was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The Patriots made Mallett a third-round pick in 2011, and he played four games for the Patriots. He went on to play for the Texans and Ravens. His final season was 2017.

Mallett played 21 career games with eight starts, passing for 1,835 yards with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

• Pie 1

We have a regular 3-6  drownings per year in the Ocean and sounds here in the county where I live  most rip tide related.   Most beaches in the state are non life guarded and even on beaches where there is a guard there is a lot of danger of death due to rips. Remember to swim parallel along the shore if caught in a rip - eventually as you travel along the beach front,  the rip will let up and you can get back to shore.   And never get in the water near or on an inlet.  Your chances of death by drowning go up there exponentially.  The saddest stories are of family members trying to save loved ones and drowning along with the swimmer who was in trouble to begin with.  Happens all the time.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

I’ll never forget being in the Bahamas with my fam on a Disney cruise when I was around 11. We were on shore, and I saw my little brother getting caught in a rip tide. Luckily, I saw him in time and was able to get him before he was pushed out to sea. Had my daughter out in the water out at orange beach today in Alabama.

The ocean is nothing to play with. RIP to Ryan. 

• Pie 2

5 hours ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

The ocean is no joke. I got caught in an undertow as a kid. I can still easily picture looking up and seeing the sky through the top of the water. I was all the way under. Somehow I managed to get out. I was like 8 years old.

You’re serious…same happened to my and my brother. 

i remember the light being SO bright as I was under helpless.

A lady was swimming my brother to shore on her back and cried really hard when she had to push me off.

• Pie 1

This 100% sounds like a rip current. 

PLT: if it’s rough out there don’t go in water above your waste, you can get pulled out very quickly by a rip current and a lot of people don’t know what to look for and how to swim out of them. Which is diagonally to the beach, never against, you’ll just wear yourself out. 

I live in a coastal area of NC and was at the beach this past weekend. I took one look at the water and instantly decided I wasn’t going in. There were people that went out swimming past the sand bar, that literally didn’t have a clue the danger they were in, life guards and police were walking over to areas with no life guards present warning people not to swim. Even with that, one idiot by where I was, who clearly couldn’t swim that well kept going in right in front of me. Life guard came by twice to tell them to quit going in so far. 

Edited by Doc Holiday