• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns ranked #7 edge rusher in league by NFL execs, coaches, and scouts

thunderraiden

13 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

1. He's been played out of position, the majority of his career. He's not a de by size or skill set. 

2. With pass rushers/edge players, most coaches ask them to hold their run gap during their pass rush. Not be a consistent run defender.  Hold the gap and push it inside or way outside but pass rush is more important.  

Yupperz. You hear it all the time. Play the run on the way to the QB. 

Who cares if you get gouged for a 10yd run. Stopping the pass is far more important than worrying about a 5-10 yard run. I'd much rather my opponent try to run on me, than have a TB throw all over the yard on me.

Getting to the QB is job #1.

3 hours ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

I have no idea why people want to trade this guy. 

Pass rushing DE's are the most important position on defense. We have one just entering his prime no way should we try to trade him.

There is a reason why teams are willing to give multiple 1st round picks for a young elite DE.

At the time, we were a team with an interim coach, no QB, no real pass rush other than Burns, no OC worth a damn, and a lot of holes. It came down to is it better to keep Burns and pay his new contract at 25mpy likely, or get a couple 1sts and a 2nd this year, and get a QB and use that cap space for other things. 

No one knew who the new HC was going to be. No one knew if we were going to be able to trade up for BY or whoever else was ranked 1. 

There were a lot of unknowns. I'm glad things worked out the way they did. I have concerns about Burns ability as an edge setter against the run. That's the biggest weakness in his game. I don't want the team to pay a top tier contract if he can't improve that, which obviously will be a hindsights 20-20 thing. 

Will be an interesting discussion until we see where the picks end up being and what players were available. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

At the time, we were a team with an interim coach, no QB, no real pass rush other than Burns, no OC worth a damn, and a lot of holes. It came down to is it better to keep Burns and pay his new contract at 25mpy likely, or get a couple 1sts and a 2nd this year, and get a QB and use that cap space for other things. 

No one knew who the new HC was going to be. No one knew if we were going to be able to trade up for BY or whoever else was ranked 1. 

There were a lot of unknowns. I'm glad things worked out the way they did. I have concerns about Burns ability as an edge setter against the run. That's the biggest weakness in his game. I don't want the team to pay a top tier contract if he can't improve that, which obviously will be a hindsights 20-20 thing. 

Will be an interesting discussion until we see where the picks end up being and what players were available. 

Im happy with how things played out.

We still got our QB and we kept Burns in the process. The 2 most important positions in the NFL imo are QB/DE. We seem to have 2 young studs at both positions. I think our future is bright if these 2 guys live up to their potential.

Rhule is gone so im taking a more optimistic approach to this team. Not gonna lie I wasn't really into the Panthers when Rhule was around. 

We have two All Pro talents on defense (Burns and Horn) and a Pro Bowl caliber DT. All young. Those are probably the single three most important positions on defense in the modern NFL. This defense is going to be good for awhile 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Gerry Green said:

You can knock Burns' run D til the cows come home. The fact is, he's rated #7 by Execs, coaches, and players. 

You say everyone has flaws. Yet you harp on Burns' for what reason?

And as for his run D? Decent.

#7 as an edge rusher.  That’s talking specifically about what he can do as a pass rusher.  Which I have no beef with that. 

harp on Burns?  Can’t remember the last time I spoke his name outside of today.   

decent vs the run? It’s all relative to your pay check/peers.  If you make Burns one of the highest paid DEs in the NFL? He is weak vs his peers. 

The lack of a legit offense is a very legit point when looking at Burns’ raw sack numbers. A lot of sacks come when your team is up in the 2nd half and the other team is forced to be predictable and throw the ball every play. Burns hasn’t had many of those types of games to get those opportunities. Glad he’s getting the recognition. That said, I still do think there have been flaws to his game keeping him from being top 10 at his position, i.e. run D and finishing off sacks (lots of pressure where he should get a sack but the QB just avoids getting brought down, overruns, etc.). Switching to the 3-4 should help that and I can absolutely see him dominating and playing like a top 5 pass rusher in Evero’s scheme. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Gerry Green said:

Yupperz. You hear it all the time. Play the run on the way to the QB. 

Who cares if you get gouged for a 10yd run. Stopping the pass is far more important than worrying about a 5-10 yard run. I'd much rather my opponent try to run on me, than have a TB throw all over the yard on me.

Getting to the QB is job #1.

22nd, 18th, 20th, 29th…that’s our rush defense the last 4 years.  

And in each of those 4 years we have been in the bottom half of the league in stopping teams from scoring TDs on the ground in addition. 

Being able to stop the run still matters.  It’s what gives you a chance to get to the QB, generate turnovers, field position, keep your O on the field, etc.  Why was the 2015 team special? In part because we could stop the run.   Top 5.  If you stop the run you get a chance to really be disruptive and help your team. 

• Pie 2

58 minutes ago, CRA said:

22nd, 18th, 20th, 29th…that’s our rush defense the last 4 years.  

And in each of those 4 years we have been in the bottom half of the league in stopping teams from scoring TDs on the ground in addition. 

Being able to stop the run still matters.  It’s what gives you a chance to get to the QB, generate turnovers, field position, keep your O on the field, etc.  Why was the 2015 team special? In part because we could stop the run.   Top 5.  If you stop the run you get a chance to really be disruptive and help your team. 

If you rush for 200 yd. You may score 2-3 TDs, and it takes forever to run that many plays. If you pass for 300-400 yards you may score 3-4 TDs, and it doesn't take nearly as much time off the clock. It is absolutely more important to stop the pass than it is to stop the run.

Running is nice and all. But it's the passing game that puts yards and TDs on the stat sheet. 

Edit to add; A great RB can get you 1500 yds and maybe 14 TDs. A good QB can double those TDs. Yeah, I want the QB driven team. Which means the other teams D had better get pressure on the passer. 

Edited by Gerry Green
  • Poo 1

6 hours ago, Gerry Green said:

If you rush for 200 yd. You may score 2-3 TDs, and it takes forever to run that many plays. If you pass for 300-400 yards you may score 3-4 TDs, and it doesn't take nearly as much time off the clock. It is absolutely more important to stop the pass than it is to stop the run.

Running is nice and all. But it's the passing game that puts yards and TDs on the stat sheet. 

Edit to add; A great RB can get you 1500 yds and maybe 14 TDs. A good QB can double those TDs. Yeah, I want the QB driven team. Which means the other teams D had better get pressure on the passer. 

Depends on your qb, only works for about 6 to 8 qb in the league. If you qb isn't top end elite you still have to rely on the run game to get into 3rd and manageable situations.

Imagine Bryce playing on 3rd and 3 and 3rd and 2 all the way down the field (sounds great doesnt it?) now imagine it being 3rd and 10 a few times down the field after some unfortunate throws.

11 hours ago, Gerry Green said:

lol.  Go look at the top 10 teams at stopping the run year in and year out.  Generally you will see a trend with those teams.  They actually are good football teams.  

stopping the run is essentially to getting the opponent off the field, generating turnovers, and on and on. 

When you are done with that go look at the worst teams in the league at stopping the run year after year.  They generally have something in common too. 

• Pie 3