• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What's Wrong With Cornbread?

chknwing

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Whenever a guy who looked as dominant as he did at Bama lasts until the 6th round it brings up some major red flags. I think he probably just got by with being huge in college and being surrounded by NFL talent. They could make up for his weaknesses and highlight his strengths. It's harder to do that in the NFL. NFL coordinators are very good at identifying and exploiting glaring weaknesses. His glaring weaknesses are agility and overall athleticism. He's probably just a big dude who got by with simply mauling smaller opponents at the college level and that's why he wasn't a coveted NFL prospect. I still think he was worth a gamble in the 6th round so I ain't mad even if he doesn't work out.

If GMs watched the senior bowl, he likely wouldn’t have even been drafted. Reminds me of Little. Both of them dropped like rocks after they got into the apples to apples pre draft events. We just happened to stop both of their falls.

While I wasn’t upset about taking a chance on Brown until after we used another 6th on a long snapper, Brown should not have been the pick. We at least corrected ourselves by taking Mays a year later, but Trey Smith was a ridiculously easy pick for us in the 6th. His athleticism was way beyond Brown’s and his day 2 talent was worth the health risk. With our OL concerns, we should have gone Smith and Brown in the 6th and ignored LS until UDFA.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

If GMs watched the senior bowl, he likely wouldn’t have even been drafted. Reminds me of Little. Both of them dropped like rocks after they got into the apples to apples pre draft events. We just happened to stop both of their falls.

While I wasn’t upset about taking a chance on Brown until after we used another 6th on a long snapper, Brown should not have been the pick. We at least corrected ourselves by taking Mays a year later, but Trey Smith was a ridiculously easy pick for us in the 6th. His athleticism was way beyond Brown’s and his day 2 talent was worth the health risk. With our OL concerns, we should have gone Smith and Brown in the 6th and ignored LS until UDFA.

Yeah, given our OL concerns drafting Smith and Brown both would've been preferable over spending a draft pick on a LS

I pretty much gave up on him after the Pats preseason game last season when got run over and through on the series Corral's season-ending injury happened on.  I don't give a poo about footwork or any of that in that situation where it happened - you're playing other 3rd and 4th stringers, you're still massive and much bigger than most of them, and a d-lineman straight bullied him and put him on his ass like he was 150 lbs.  I still had high hopes for him until I saw that.  That ended any I had left.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Players who are physical freaks with every measurable on earth end up getting dumpstered when they get to the NFL every single year.  Guys drafted by Scott Fitterer are no exception, and afaik Deonte Brown was kind of a middle-late round dart throw who got drafted because he's huge.

The step up from even the top college programs to the pros is exponential, and he might just not be able to hack it.  Sucks but hopefully he's been smart with what he made on his rookie contract.

It's a tough place to make a living, the NFL. It's a tough place to stay. He's gotten more than one chance already, maybe this time he finds what he needs to make it work out. Ain't no shame if it doesn't, on him or on us.

Good luck to him or whoever steps up to earn that spot.

• Pie 1