• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Oher claims Tuohy family tricked him into agreeing to conservatorship

hepcat

8 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I am biased because I met and talked to Oher--he was not at all like the character who portrayed him--very nice guy, rather quiet.  He was good with my sons, who were all about the movie.  I told Oher, "On the way home, I will tell them that movie was a bunch of Bullshit."  He laughed.

It was.

There are a number of websites that compare the real story to the movie. This is one I've seen do "The Blind Side" as well as several others.

History vs Hollywood

38 minutes ago, csx said:

Every post saying typical Athlete who spent all their money and that's why he's suing. Pulling it out of their asses. The one dude is only saying it because he didn't play for Auburn. 

Aside from an "all athletes waste their money" post it appears most everyone else hasnt jumped to conclusions to the extreme. Personally, I think he feels betrayed and tricked thinking all along he was "adopted" in an 18 year old adult way and he is hurt and he also feels like the family profited majorly off his painful career that left him with major concussion issues that he has to take many medications for to this day (going by his post a year or so ago). Its all sad to me after the feel good story I foolishly thought it was as a gentleman who thought he had a family who loved him now believes they didnt and only loved what they could get out of him and im quite sure even if they didnt get tons of money their restaurants boomed and their endorsements boomed afterwards which did help them dramatically. Personally, if I was Mike I wouldnt sue but I would also banish their asses out of my life forever which has to hurt him AGAIN losing people he trusted that he thought were family after already having a rough upbringing. Its feeling bad for Oher and what he loses in the end that bothers me most aside from the money. Poor dude probably keeps feeling rejected and or used by family and thats the sad part to me.

1 hour ago, t96 said:

It's a fair point that the publicity from the movie likely did increase the value of Sean Tuohy's business, but I'm not sure what right Oher thinks he would have to any of that increase in value... Tuohy I believe sold his business a few years ago for $200M, not sure what it would've been worth before the movie but by all accounts it was very successful before they even met Oher anyways.

Regarding the conservatorship, it being in place is definitely weird and strange but the question is has the family used it to actually make decisions for Oher or take any of the money he has earned? From what I've read it doesn't seem like it. The family claims it was in put in place early due to some NCAA rules (not sure what those could possibly be...) and in practice hasn't been "used" at all since then. The not adopting him officially if he thought they had is certainly questionable and would cause me to lose trust in them too if I were Oher. 

All good points and good research!

29 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Doesn't that happen pretty much every year? 😕

It happens in any movie that gets the caption  "based upon on a true story ".  

I don't get why so many people seem to be shocked by that.  And by the way the "truth" of anything that happens is very subjective, which is why the political climate in this country is in the state it is.

16 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

It happens in any movie that gets the caption  "based upon on a true story ".  

I don't get why so many people seem to be shocked by that.  And by the way the "truth" of anything that happens is very subjective, which is why the political climate in this country is in the state it is.

Well, meaning that the rest of them are just flat out fiction and don't claim to be anything else.

The "based on a true story" ones though? Yeah, there's a long history with those. The majority would probably say "loosely based" or "kind of based" or just "we took this idea from" if the descriptions were really accurate.

The epitome of that for me is "Titanic".  I think Honest Trailers summed it up best when they said "from the event that's spawned dozens of compelling true stories comes this...fake one" 😕

(some descendants of the actual people involved wound up pretty pissed off about that one)

• Beer 1

35 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

Aside from an "all athletes waste their money" post it appears most everyone else hasnt jumped to conclusions to the extreme. Personally, I think he feels betrayed and tricked thinking all along he was "adopted" in an 18 year old adult way and he is hurt and he also feels like the family profited majorly off his painful career that left him with major concussion issues that he has to take many medications for to this day (going by his post a year or so ago). Its all sad to me after the feel good story I foolishly thought it was as a gentleman who thought he had a family who loved him now believes they didnt and only loved what they could get out of him and im quite sure even if they didnt get tons of money their restaurants boomed and their endorsements boomed afterwards which did help them dramatically. Personally, if I was Mike I wouldnt sue but I would also banish their asses out of my life forever which has to hurt him AGAIN losing people he trusted that he thought were family after already having a rough upbringing. Its feeling bad for Oher and what he loses in the end that bothers me most aside from the money. Poor dude probably keeps feeling rejected and or used by family and thats the sad part to me.

I was addressing the people who made those comments. Not the ones who didn't. 

Life can be pretty messy. Especially when money gets involved. We have no way of knowing what happened yet and we'll never really be able to know what the original intentions of all the parties were. It just sucks that things like this do happen and that it may have happened here.

In the end, the lawyers will probably win the day in court and both parties will go home with less money and less family than they started with.

• Pie 1

based on what I have been reading. Sounds like Mike is now mad that he doesn't have more money. So he's trying to recoup royalties he declined from the beginning, by suing. The Tuohys seem to have always been transparent with him. The whole time he was here is attitude was moderately negative about the movie.