• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did we just pass drafting Cam Newton Jr….

TheBigKat

I'm glad we just got the top prospect at the position for a change. I'm excited to see what this team is capable of when we don't have to worry about the QB making the throw. 

People keep discounting it because they think he's maxed out already but Bryce's upside is Hall of Famer With Multiple Rings. His skillset has proven success in the league. I believe in AR but he has a long road ahead of him and it remains to be seen if that style of play is even sustainable. Cam was practically superhuman and it wasn't enough.

• Pie 2

No, I didn't see Newton. Newton was a much smoother passer, and more patient in the pocket.

Anthony Richardson may develop into a more accurate passer, but I doubt it. He may develop into a guy that can throw a pass with touch, but I have my suspicions. He can certainly learn to make better decisions but never get to an elite level, because in my experience that's something that doesn't come naturally to guys that rely on their legs and strength too much (like a Newton or a Josh Allen). Dude has a long way to go. 

And for all you guys still secretly (or not so secretly) wishing that we had picked AR, go root for the gotdamn Colts. Bryce Young is far and ahead a better QB, and it's likely going to stay that way because football is not only in his blood, but the traits that make guys elite for the long haul come naturally to him. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

9 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

watch these highlights, close your eyes and tell me you didn’t see Newton Jr…. 

oh… it’s preseason

Nope. AR gets pressure his eyes drop and he runs. Bryce keeps his eyes downfield when he gets pressure.  Plus, that style of read option all the time is going to get your franchise QB hurt. 

• Beer 1

9 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

watch these highlights, close your eyes and tell me you didn’t see Newton Jr…. 

oh… it’s preseason

Meh.  That was decent I suppose.  He didn't look to be very accurate, even on the passes he completes.  But hes going to be a problem in the zone read game for them until he really figures it out.  I think hes super talented, but hes no Cam. 

8 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

I'm ecstatic with Bryce Young. 

Me too.  I think he has been fantastic thus far, given what he has had to work with.  I hope they give him extended playing time in this last preseason game.  At least a half. 

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Out of interest, how was Newton more advanced in his development?

Cam drug a bunch of scrubs in college to an undefeated natty, while putting up one of the greatest individual seasons in CFB history.  AR went 6-6 and had like 20 total TDs for Florida last year.  Cam had one of the most electric rookie seasons of any player in NFL history, without OTAs or anything like that.  HIGHLY doubt AR comes out the gate like Cam did.  Its really not fair to compare the 2 of them.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Cam was a unicorn.  Richardson didn’t look like him in college either.  Definitely not last night either 

He also doesn't have the attributes Cam had passing either. Cam also had a better completion percentage either.