• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Frank Reich - slow starts?

NAS

Despite having a respectable record with the Colts (41-35-1) with two playoff appearances and no legitimate franchise QB,  I'm starting to wonder if there's a pattern with Frank Reich teams not being ready to play at the start of the season. In 5 years, he has 4 losses and a tie.

2018 Week 1:   L to Bengals  

2019 Week 1:  Loss to Chargers

2020 Week 1: Loss to Jaguar

2021 Week 1:  Loss to Seahawks  

2022 Week 1: Tied with Texans

2023 Week 1?

It seems to me his overall approach to camp is not that intense as well as his approach to preseason games.  Coincidence?

Edited by NAS
  • Pie 1

Week 1 is also the weirdest week in the NFL.  Bad teams fool people.  Good teams look bad.  It’s the one week I would never wager on. 

however, the overall starts have been slow.  

3-4-1

3-5

5-3

5-3

2-6 

Very Fox/Ron ish.  Gets it going on the backend most of his time.  Wasn’t afforded that opportunity in 22 though. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

This was a big reason I was skeptical on him. That is very Rivera esque.

Not to mention not having his team ready for big games. Losing to a BAD Jaguars team and getting eliminated from the playoffs (all they had to do was win ONE of their last 2 games that year). Main reason he was fired.

Hopefully our "all-star" cast won't allow these slow starts to happen.

• Pie 4

23 minutes ago, TheMaulClaw said:

A Steve Wilks, AR, Foreman combo sounds so much better then a Reich, Young, Sanders combo

To be competitive in this league, your QB needs to be able to complete over 65% of his passes.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

Week 1 is also the weirdest week in the NFL.  Bad teams fool people.  Good teams look bad.  It’s the one week I would never wager on. 

however, the overall starts have been slow.  

3-4-1

3-5

5-3

5-3

2-6 

Very Fox/Ron ish.  Gets it going on the backend most of his time.  Wasn’t afforded that opportunity in 22 though. 

its true. I always my gambling bros to avoid week 1, but ...... they are degenerates

Most times theres 7 new coaching staff, each team has 35% new players, some players are not ready, etc etc. 

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I'm not going to dig all the way in, but that's not all that surprising.

New QB's, new system, etc....almost every single year.  I'd expect him to have some slow starts, especially with a rookie.

probably, and then factor in the schedule....it sort of sets up for a slow start for rookie QB, new team, etc.   

Before the bye 4 of the 6 are on the road.  4 of the 6 had winning record and all return their QBs.  The 2  are our divisional games but the standard divisional factor probably doesn't really apply there given the newness of the teams involved. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, NAS said:

Despite having a respectable record with the Colts (41-35-1) with two playoff appearances and no legitimate franchise QB,  I'm starting to wonder if there's a pattern with Frank Reich teams not being ready to play at the start of the season. In 5 years, he has 4 losses and a tie.

2018 Week 1:   L to Bengals  

2019 Week 1:  Loss to Chargers

2020 Week 1: Loss to Jaguar

2021 Week 1:  Loss to Seahawks  

2022 Week 1: Tied with Texans

2023 Week 1?

It seems to me his overall approach to camp is not that intense as well as his approach to preseason games.  Coincidence?

Seems there was another Panthers HC in the not too distant past that was known for slow/no starts. 

coincidence ?