• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Burns sign an extension before Week 1?

NAS

10 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

His skillset fits the 3-4 edge position better, but it's not like we can't just line him back up on the DL if he plays worse in the 3-4 (which I can't see happening).  Evero listed Burns as a top reason he wanted to come here and then proceeded to switch us to his 3-4.  He probably has a better understanding than most on how Burns should look.  

Waiting could be a dangerous game, but at the end of the day he is probably going to make a large amount of money regardless.  

he might be a better pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB.  He might not be.  Never seen it.  3-4 might also highlight some of his weaknesses more.  Don't know. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

he might be a better pass rusher as a 3-4 OLB.  He might not be.  Never seen it.  3-4 might also highlight some of his weaknesses more.  Don't know. 

It appears to be a defense that is catered to both Burns and Browns strengths.  I really like Brown as a 3-4 DE vs a DT in a 4-3.    I get what you are saying though, it may look great on paper but it doesn't make it a guarantee.  

42 minutes ago, CRA said:

if you are the Carolina Panthers, would you really want to give him a massive deal before you have seen him play a down in the new 3-4 scheme? 

I think everybody knows that he is going to absolutely kill it as a stand up OLB rusher.  His speed is his biggest asset and that is really gonna do him well as a 3/4 edge.

9 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

He is going to want more than Bosa and will get it.  It doesn't matter if people think Bosa is better, the last one to sign will get a slightly better contract

No way - he can't justify that at all.  I think he's going to recalculate what top 5 money means based on Bosa pushing the bar higher. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, NAS said:

No way - he can't justify that at all.  I think he's going to recalculate what top 5 money means based on Bosa pushing the bar higher. 

That's not how the NFL works.  He is going to get more cause he signed last and that's why he is waiting

I thought Rivera switched to a 3-4 defense for the 2019 season to try save his tenure? Atleast that was the talks before that season. If so, then Burns maybe have experience from such a system or did he play DE in Riveras system?

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, kass said:

I thought Rivera switched to a 3-4 defense for the 2019 season to try save his tenure? Atleast that was the talks before that season. If so, then Burns maybe have experience from such a system or did he play DE in Riveras system?

I'm not sure what the 2019 season was.  I thought we ran a mix of everything.  Both looks.  

I know we were horrific against the run. 

24 minutes ago, kass said:

Burns sucks at run defense. End of story. 

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Once we turned down that Rams deal we all but told Burns he will be resigned/extended and it will be for a large amount of money.  I would imagine we had some idea of what he was wanting before we turned down an offer like that.

This. If you turn down 2 first rounders and you don’t resign the guy you will be shown the door 

• Pie 1