• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best & Worst Defenses

Santee_Panther

From The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/29/23848577/ranking-best-worst-nfl-defenses-2023-season

5. Carolina Panthers

Another big swing! I’m so ready to get myself on @OldTakesExposed in like Week 7 if this defense stinks.

But here’s the case for Carolina. The Panthers have young, ascending talent at premium positions, and they complemented that talent with solid veterans. Up front, the Panthers have edge rusher Brian Burns and defensive tackle Derrick Brown, a pair of first-round picks, and I liked the decision to add veteran pass rusher Justin Houston in August. Linebacker Frankie Luvu was a fun player last season. Jaycee Horn, the team’s first-round pick in 2021, has the tools to be a no. 1 corner if he stays healthy. Jeremy Chinn, Vonn Bell, and Xavier Woods give the Panthers versatility at safety.

The Panthers finished 25th in defensive DVOA last year. But they added defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero, who comes over from Denver, where he quietly coached the Broncos defense to a no. 10 DVOA ranking.

Last year was a disaster for the Panthers organization, with former head coach Matt Rhule getting fired in the middle of the season. They faced a tough schedule of opposing offenses and ranked 25th in EPA on takeaways. This year, the Panthers face the fourth-easiest overall schedule. I think they’ll make a big leap defensively and surprise people. When I’m wrong, you can ruthlessly mock me.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm still clueless as to what to expect. I think our schemes both offensively and defensively have been largely kept under wraps in the preseason but nothing would shock me in week one.

Farily confident its gonna be a lot of jet sweep, a lot of presnap motion, a lot of playaction off of a largely unchanged run game from last year, the only difference from last year in the run game is that our RB1 can catch meaning they can still be useful if we have to throw because they are stacking 8 in the box. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, Santee_Panther said:

From The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/29/23848577/ranking-best-worst-nfl-defenses-2023-season

5. Carolina Panthers

Another big swing! I’m so ready to get myself on @OldTakesExposed in like Week 7 if this defense stinks.

But here’s the case for Carolina. The Panthers have young, ascending talent at premium positions, and they complemented that talent with solid veterans. Up front, the Panthers have edge rusher Brian Burns and defensive tackle Derrick Brown, a pair of first-round picks, and I liked the decision to add veteran pass rusher Justin Houston in August. Linebacker Frankie Luvu was a fun player last season. Jaycee Horn, the team’s first-round pick in 2021, has the tools to be a no. 1 corner if he stays healthy. Jeremy Chinn, Vonn Bell, and Xavier Woods give the Panthers versatility at safety.

The Panthers finished 25th in defensive DVOA last year. But they added defensive coordinator Ejiro Evero, who comes over from Denver, where he quietly coached the Broncos defense to a no. 10 DVOA ranking.

Last year was a disaster for the Panthers organization, with former head coach Matt Rhule getting fired in the middle of the season. They faced a tough schedule of opposing offenses and ranked 25th in EPA on takeaways. This year, the Panthers face the fourth-easiest overall schedule. I think they’ll make a big leap defensively and surprise people. When I’m wrong, you can ruthlessly mock me.

Thats quite the jump without really adding anyone on defense except DC. 

• Pie 2

I would be over the moon if it turns out we have the number 10 defense in the league this year.  I suspect we'll be somewhere between 12 and 15 assuming everyone stays healthy.  If we lose a corner - and history says we will - we'll be somewhere between 15 and 20.

10 hours ago, Santee_Panther said:

5. Carolina Panthers

…They faced a tough schedule of opposing offenses and ranked 25th in EPA on takeaways. This year, the Panthers face the fourth-easiest overall schedule.

Just realized that the only was our schedule could be easier is if we played ourselves twice.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Harbingers said:

Ya not sure how you can expect a jump from 25 to 5 without ever having seen an actual game planned game of the new scheme. But…

and Evero took over what was already a top NFL defense in Denver.  It's not like he came in there and worked some magic to take them from weak to great. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1