• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Panthers and Brian Burns not at all close to extension

TheSpecialJuan

37 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Franchise tag

If we have to franchise tag him, he's never playing another down for us again.

We couldn't come to an agreement with him this offseason, if he balls out and puts up 15+ sacks this year and is the best player on our defense and then we can't get an extension done by the franchise tag deadline, we never will.

And if he almost didn't play this year, he's not playing another season on a franchise tag.  If we have to tag him and don't trade him, he'll show up when he's forced to in week 10 or whenever.

If he plays out the year and plays great, we either make him the highest paid defensive player ever or will need to franchise tag and trade him, neither are really the most attractive options, needed to get a deal done before today.

41 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

get it done today and then start working on browns deal

I was about to post something similar. We need to lock in Brown before the DL market gets reset by another player. Burns and Brown get contracts and right now Chinn (unless he signs a reasonable one) and Horn will be the ones we replace. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

I was about to post something similar. We need to lock in Brown before the DL market gets reset by another player. Burns and Brown get contracts and right now Chinn (unless he signs a reasonable one) and Horn will be the ones we replace. 

I will be curious to see what the pff rating is on burns and chinn.  I bet its pretty high for burns but really not sure what i watched with chinn.  Same goes for luvu/shaq.  Not sure what the hell they were doing

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I will be curious to see what the pff rating is on burns and chinn.  I bet its pretty high for burns but really not sure what i watched with chinn.  Same goes for luvu/shaq.  Not sure what the hell they were doing

Luvu had a bad game. Should have hit Bijan in the backfield on his TD, dropped an INT just off the top of my head. We would just need to allocate some of that cap for the OL. A weapon for Young and possibly extending some OL for example would be a start. 

Burns should take the high road, play out his contract and tell the Panthers he wants to hit FA in the offseason.  Some of these monster contracts are coming back to bite teams in the arse.  Burns deserves to get paid more, but if the Panthers are balking considering how they feel about Brian, you have to think Burns' camp is asking for the moon.

12 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Chinn played well… second in team tackles, and didn’t give up a reception. However, we will see how PFF grades it but… going back through the tape… chinn didn’t let a reception go to his man.