• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

All-22 Review: Panthers @ Falcons [Week 1 - 2023]

TheCasillas

6 hours ago, TheCasillas said:

Shaq got a lot of flack for the 2nd Falcons TD , but this is no way his fault. He shoots the right gap and the play is all but shut down. It was a great job by Allgeir to stay on his feet and bounce to the outside. If we have to absolutely blame someone here, it would be Burns for not maintaining the outside. 

It looks like Burns gave up the edge to go for the tackle, trying to play hero. Shaq had the gap, Burns didn't need to give up the edge. Straight up, he didn't do his job. Honestly, he reacted too quick and opened up the outside.

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This looks like a bad read by Bryce. Sure looks like Cover 1 so TMJ is double teamed and not open. Staying on Mingo longer had a really good chance.

I agree. I've watched enough JT to know this is middle field closed. TMJ's route should have never even been looked at. Better yet, pre-snap TMJ should have been checked out of that route. Not sure who's job that would have been.

• Pie 1

I said leading up to the draft that Bryce decision making wasnt as good as everybody said. Too many times he is locking on to one guy or even when he makes play himself a lot of times he has somebody else wide open beforehand that he just doesn't see for whatever reason even when he is looking in that direction. The game Sunday did nothing to change that opinion and it wont be any easier next week. He has a lot to work on if he gonna be a top qb in the pros. 

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Beer 2

5 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I said leading up to the draft that Bryce decision making wasnt as good as everybody said. Too many times he is locking on to one guy or even when he makes play himself a lot of times he has somebody else wide open beforehand that he just doesn't see for whatever reason even when he is looking in that direction. The game Sunday did nothing to change that opinion and it wont be any easier next week. He has a lot to work on if he gonna be a top qb in the pros. 

People can say it's not the height but that first pick sure looked like he couldn't see Bates spying behind that Boze/BC cluster. I'm just gonna say the film people have on us after that game is going to be tough to game plan around if no one is going to get separation off talent alone. We don't even require doubles teams at any WR spots currently

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Probably one of the more well informed posts I've seen so far in the past week. the amount of s*** I have gotten over saying Bryce did not look good last week is just annoying.

Yes, I know our receivers suck, but the same can be said for roughly half the teams in the NFL. Look at the bums Mahomes threw yoy on Thursday

1 hour ago, PleaseCutStewart said:

Probably one of the more well informed posts I've seen so far in the past week. the amount of s*** I have gotten over saying Bryce did not look good last week is just annoying.

Yes, I know our receivers suck, but the same can be said for roughly half the teams in the NFL. Look at the bums Mahomes threw yoy on Thursday

Using Mahomes as the example in which you are holding our 22 year old rookie QB too might have been why you've been getting so much s*** lately. A lot of you guys need to go read that QB Debut thread and read through some of the names and stats of the those players in their first games. I'm sure I could find a dozen more who struggled. Not every team situation is the same, our entire team underwent heavy scheme and personnel changes. Bryce is not an uber athletically gifted QB so he doesn't have that to rely on when the play breaks down. Anyone who thought he was going to come in and start carving up NFL secondaries was just fooling yourselves. Just need to relax and let the kid play. If he works hard at his craft which I think he will he is going to be just fine. Gotta give him some time to learn though.

• Pie 2

7 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

People can say it's not the height but that first pick sure looked like he couldn't see Bates spying behind that Boze/BC cluster. I'm just gonna say the film people have on us after that game is going to be tough to game plan around if no one is going to get separation off talent alone. We don't even require doubles teams at any WR spots currently

He might not have saw him but probably wasn't expecting him there either.  Looks like he got tricked because they look to be in a Cover 2 look and Theilen's route is supposed to drag Bates with him but Falcons dropped their slot deep so Bates gets a free run at the crosser.

Bryce Young wasn't good.... for a veteran.  But for his first game, it wasn't bad... the film breakdown supports that IMO.

Maybe it's me, but I'm happy when I see a rookie early in the season have a couple of good drives in the game.  Ideally we will be seeing development quickly. I get harder on players by the mid and end of the season... but right now, eh... still a lot to learn.

He definitely made his share of mistakes. All we've heard suggests he will learn and grow from them... we'll see.

And an awesome, incredibly useful thread here. Thanks OP and huddle fans for the good discussions to read so far.

Edited by mav1234
  • Pie 2