• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A loss to the Saints on MNF would be as bad a start as the Panthers can get.

hepcat

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Frank and Wilks are basically the same thing. One an offensive variant.  One a defensive variant. 

and that’s what you get when you have egg on your face for going after something different in college.  An overcorrection back to NFL retreadville.  And then you surround Frank with dinosaurs like Dom and Caldwell lol.   Best thing about the staff was the coordinators and Frank won’t let the OC be the OC. 

It is what it is. I remember shaking my head when we hired Frank. Then I realized this was a Tepper hire. 

All I can do is hope we somehow turn this thing around. Kind of hard to even do that when this team has looked like poo throughout preaseason and week 1. If we win I will be the biggest Frank fan on this board. I call it like I see it.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry, totally off base.

The first step of the rebuild they wanted to complete was to get a franchise quarterback to build around. Bryce is the guy they chose.

This is how it works.

That's a beyond simplistic approach to viewing the situation, plus, it's also just wrong.

The only time the "first step" of a rebuild is to get the QB, is when you play bad enough to get one with your own draft pick, not when trading for one.  If you're trading for that draft pick, you need the rest of the roster built out already so you can contend while on the rookie contract.

THAT'S how it works

Trading away your next year's first round pick (plus other significant assets) for a QB and then ending up turning over a Top 5 pick would be the epitome of failure.

And if any team were to trade away the farm to get the QB before the rest of the roster, Bryce is NOT the guy to do it.  Even the staff has described him as a PG, he's not the super star guy on the wing who can win by himself, like a Patrick Mahomes, a Tom Brady, the elite of the elite.

Again, I'm not writing him or this season off, but Bryce just isn't the guy you make these moves for if you don't have the team around him, Caleb Williams would be the type of guy you do that for, not Bryce. 

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

If the Panthers lose to the Saints on MNF, this is what the NFC South standings will look like:

Bucs 2-0

Falcons 2-0

Saints 2-0

Panthers 0-2 (0-2 in division)

This would be a likely insurmountable hole for a young team with a rookie QB to dig out of. All the division opponents will be 2-0, the Panthers will be 0-2 and more importantly 0-2 in the division.

Huge game in Week 2 in prime time that could determine if the team contends or flounders in the division this year. 

News flash: The Bucs, Saints, or Falcons ain’t winning the Super Bowl. They still have issues as well. We all want to win, I get that. With all the moving parts to this team that were not here last year we need to give them more time than one or two games before we panic. If you look around the league there are a lot of teams that have more issues than the Panthers. 

I also have to say, again, none of my posts are meant to bash Bryce.

They're all based around the thought that viewing this season as the first of a "rebuild" is just utterly moronic given the offseason moves and giving up next year's first.

Everything needs to be viewed in it's totality, not in a vacuum. 

Edited by tukafan21

It’s year one of a complete new system/staff/QB. Some people consider that a rebuild some don’t. Regardless it typically takes time for new systems and rookie QBs to get to firing on all cylinders. Our roster needs depth, but we have a decent roster looking at the starters with some young playmakers on defense. Next year we will add depth and fill a couple holes.  I imagine/hope we are going to see a much better team as the season progresses and should be excited about our future towards the end of the schedule. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Until Tepper starts actually making the football decisions, that's a dumb take.

I think/hope he is joking. That’s like saying the Cardinals won’t be rebuilding next year when they draft a new QB with the top pick because they’ve had the same owner for a while now. 

22 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

That's a beyond simplistic approach to viewing the situation, plus, it's also just wrong.

The only time the "first step" of a rebuild is to get the QB, is when you play bad enough to get one with your own draft pick, not when trading for one.  If you're trading for that draft pick, you need the rest of the roster built out already so you can contend while on the rookie contract.

THAT'S how it works

Trading away your next year's first round pick (plus other significant assets) for a QB and then ending up turning over a Top 5 pick would be the epitome of failure.

And if any team were to trade away the farm to get the QB before the rest of the roster, Bryce is NOT the guy to do it.  Even the staff has described him as a PG, he's not the super star guy on the wing who can win by himself, like a Patrick Mahomes, a Tom Brady, the elite of the elite.

Again, I'm not writing him or this season off, but Bryce just isn't the guy you make these moves for if you don't have the team around him, Caleb Williams would be the type of guy you do that for, not Bryce. 

So we shouldn't draft a quarterback until we're absolutely the worst team in the league?

Yikes, dude 😳

3 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

But but but....we had all the pieces. Just needed a QB. 

We have a new staff, and the new QB is a rookie. 

That’s a lot of change man. Be patient. I know we are tired of “being patient” for the Panthers to win, but if you replace the staff and QB…the clock resets. 

Prior suck isn’t their fault. 

1 hour ago, Martin said:

We are not doing a complete tear down style rebuild. We have some good pieces but needed a QB to try to build something, so we traded for one and added a brand new coaching staff. Said rookie QB has made one start, ONE! The goal this year is progress throughout the season and then make some moves in FA next year. Next year should be playoffs or bust, not this year.

And in the process we traded our two stand-out offensive stars.