• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A loss to the Saints on MNF would be as bad a start as the Panthers can get.

hepcat

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Sorry, totally off base.

The first step of the rebuild they wanted to complete was to get a franchise quarterback to build around. Bryce is the guy they chose.

This is how it works.

IF he is that franchise guy he becomes incredibly expensive by the time you've assembled a team around him, which closes your SB window before it's even opened (unless he's top 3 in the NFL good). 

8 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

We have a new staff, and the new QB is a rookie. 

That’s a lot of change man. Be patient. I know we are tired of “being patient” for the Panthers to win, but if you replace the staff and QB…the clock resets. 

Prior suck isn’t their fault. 

The clock resets if you Draft Richardson and hire Steichen (for example). Both have upside, but you know they're learning on the job.

It doesn't reset when you hire Reich and draft 'the most NFL ready QB' in Young with 5 premium picks. You're very much in 'win now' mode. That trade took all the air out of the season for me.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

So we shouldn't draft a quarterback until we're absolutely the worst team in the league?

Yikes, dude 😳

Nowhere did I say that we had to be the absolute worst team in the league to do that.

I said you either trade up when you have a better roster in place (which I'm not even saying is the case here anyways, I personally think we have the better roster in place, but remember this whole thing started in regards to the point of whether this year is the first of a "rebuild" or not).

OR

You take the QB with your own pick, which doesn't have to be the #1 pick in the draft, ESPECIALLY with what next year's QB draft class is going to look like.  There is a very real chance that next year's class has 4 or 5 QB's that would have gone #1 overall in most drafts.  There is a good chance some of them will fall to the 7-10 region of the draft, and even if they don't, it would have been easier to trade up from say 8 to 4 next year than it was to go from 9 to 1 this past year.

And I have to say this again, the whole point of this that it's just asinine to excuse away a bad year as "it's the first year of a rebuild" as that's not how the staff handled this offseason.  That's the point in all this that you seem to not want to admit for some strange reason.

This isn't the first time I've seen you call this year a rebuild and using that as a reason people need to lower their expectations.  It's like you're just trying to get people to be okay with having a bad season because it's the first year of the staff and QB, but you can't look at the season in a vacuum based on only those two factors.

You have to look at the totality of the moves we made to get here and the fact that we gave up next year's first, in a stupid good QB class, to draft Bryce.  Once they did that, they lost the ability to call this a rebuild and lower expectations for this year.

I was never expecting to be a SB contender this year and called those who did, idiots.  But after FA and the draft, with the moves we made, I fully expected us to contend in the division and end up with somewhere between 7 and 10 wins, realistically figuring it would be 8 or 9.  Which is why I view saying this season is the start of a rebuild to the point of accepting being a possible bottom of the standings team, equally as idiotic as those expecting SB contention.

33 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Until Tepper starts actually making the football decisions, that's a dumb take.

NFL teams operate like mom and pop shops.  Tepper hires the people that officially make the decisions and is in on all the big decisions. 

so when we trade CMC,  mortgage everything for a rookie QB, RH implodes, hire new coaches ….those are decisions Tepper is in on.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Week 8 people.

Just get to week 8.

If we still look lost starting week 9, then consider getting upset.

Rhule's stank is still all over this franchise and we need to exercise the demons. Same thing happened with the Jags last year after Meyer. Started 2-6, ended 9-8 and made the playoffs.

happy jim carrey GIF by O&O, Inc

And Lawrence wasn’t even a rookie for the Jags through that first half struggle. 

• Pie 1