• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What has Scott Fitterer done right?

hepcat

8 hours ago, pantherj said:

There are three things that happened that killed this franchise. These are the critical mistakes that we have still yet to recover from:

1.) Marty wanted Herbert, and I thought he was going to make a move to go get him. We stayed put and missed out on Herbert. Franchise changing mistake.

2.) We brought in Teddy Bridgewater when we should not have done so. Teddy was good enough to get us enough wins to ruin our draft position, but he would never lead us anywhere. This is what I call a "QB Limbo" move where you can't replace your current QB with a star QB, or potential star QB, because he's wining too many games, but he's not the answer.

3.) Fitt signs Sam Darnold, who I said several times on this forum at the time, was a proven failure at QB. I said at the time that he would flop, and he did just that. Signing Sam stripped us of valuable draft picks, but it also allowed QB limbo to continue because we had CMC and too much talent by that point to allow Sam to drag us to the rock bottom of the league and top of the draft.

The scary thing about Fitt is that he believed that Sam was better than Teddy, and that Sam was a franchise QB in the making. I sure as hell didn't think that at the time, and I was hard pressed to find a fan who thought that. Shouldn't the GM know better than the fan base? No. Fitt was guessing. His guess was incorrect, and that mistake ushered in the dark times. Teddy was fun to watch. Sam took your soul and made you turn the tv off.

It really came down to those three critical mistakes. Has Fitt screwed up left and right in other areas? Oh hell yes, but those mistakes are not why we've had to suffer through these dark and boring times. Now everything, including Fitt's career, is riding on Young. Buckle up.

I said at the time that whoever made the decision to bring in Darnold should be fired immediately. Who made these QB decisions? Rhule? Fitt? We know that Rhule had nothing to do with the trade to get Young. Young likely will be a good NFL QB. But...trade two firsts and your best receiver? No. A mortgage your franchise QB? Again, no.

• Pie 1

35 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

People want to believe in Fitts so badly but I'm just not seeing a whole lot to hang that hat on right now.

I posted a month ago: You can't recreate what Bill B has done at New England, etc. How many times have teams hired someone from NE expecting NE results? A lot. Same with Pete Carroll at Seattle. Panthers brought in a Seattle guy expecting Pete Carroll results. IT DON'T HAPPEN.

1. Could have had Parsons and Howell but we got Horn and Corral

2. CJ Henderson - lol

3. TMJ

4. DJ Johnson (we know this is a wasted pick).

5. Not taking the ridiculous compensation for Burns and now likely to overpay or lose him for a lot less

6. Every 2nd and 3rd day pick he’s ever made

7. Unnecessary Gilmore signing

8. Exercising Darnold’s fifth year option before he ever took a snap 

9. Ian Thomas extension

10. Being completely uncompetitive in 70% of games during his tenure 

I’m sure I’m missing about 100 more. 

Edited by BIGH2001
  • Beer 3

48 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

People want to believe in Fitts so badly but I'm just not seeing a whole lot to hang that hat on right now.

Yeah I'm not defending Fitt by any stetch, but you can't use the likes of PJ Walker and Robbie Anderson as examples when Fitt wasn't even employed by the Panthers when they were brought in.

Luvu - who knows if that was Fitt or Rhule.

Fitts has done okay.  Not great, not horrible.  My thing is to see how this year and next pans out without Rhule AND Tepper meddling.  This draft was--meh--for me.  Zavala was a solid pick on day three.  I did like re-signing Luvu, snagging Jusitn Houston late in camp, signing Dalton as a bridge or mentor QB, bringing in Hurst and Thielen.  Vonn Bell was a solid signing.

As much as we dislike to say it, this is a rebuild on the fly.  Not a total rebuild, mind you, as the defense and STs were largely intact.  Starting the offense over from spare parts with a rookie QB was never going to be an easy task.  That's not totally on Fitts.

I will say that I didn't mind the Sanders signing in FA, but as it turns out, we paid too much.  That one is squarely on Fitterer.

Edited by 45catfan

1 hour ago, CRA said:

So Fitt was responsible and gets credit for bringing in Baylor/Temple guys in his first year?  That’s not on Rhule? 

I mean, yeah Anderson came In under Hurney.  Fitt gave him the stupid contract and is presently one of our biggest cap hits.    So I got a tad confused. 

overall point still pretty much remains. Fitt getting a Luvu carve out with some just because he worked out and still putting the rest on Rhule. 

Which Baylor/Temple guys are folks giving Fitterer credit for?

1 minute ago, NCBlu said:

Make no mistake, Bryce Young was a Tepper pick he said so when he told the world he was telling him at the Superbowl that we needed a QB.

This is a reach.

Literally everyone who remotely follows the NFL has known that since 2020.

Edited by therealmjl