• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Report: Burns and mid season trade

panfanman

The title of the article I think may be misleading.  Burns asked about mid season trade.  That could be interpreted 3 different ways and certainly not clear.

1) Did he ask the organization about being traded.

2) Did the organization ask if he wanted to be traded.

3) A reporter asked him about the possibility of it happening.

I'm thinking my 3rd interpretation and someone is trying to make something out of nothing.  Poor writing and reporting or done on purpose?  Click bait?  IDK

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/17/panthers-brian-burns-saturday-trade-possibility-contract-extension-week-2/

From the article...

"the two-time Pro Bowl pass rusher has been asked about something that never felt like a real possibility—a trade"

His response:

“I ain’t think about it too deeply,” he admitted to reporters on Saturday. “If that’s my story, that’s my story. I can’t really control that. Yeah, that’s all I got to say about that one.”

Burns didn't bring it upit's just a poorly worded headline.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 4

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

If they trade Burns this season for less than what the Rams offered last season, Fitterer should be fired immediately. 

No, totally wrong take.

If you want to say he should be fired for not making that trade last year, that's fair.

But to not make the best move for the team given the current situation because of a decision made last year, THAT would be the fireable offense, not making the best move at the current time.

It's the picture perfect definition of a sunk cost, you can't make any decision now based on the trade we turned down as that trade is irrelevant to the current situation and the one moving forward at this point, unfortunately.

I'm not even saying that means we should be trading him (even though I think we should).  

Just like I'm saying in the other thread about why trading for Bryce is an utter failure IF the staff felt this would be a rebuilding season.  Signing Burns to the biggest defensive contract in league history when we don't have a SB contending roster in place would be equally stupid.

I said all offseason to pay the man what he wanted, that $28-30 million a season would look great of us in 2 years when he's an all-pro and paid like the 10th best pass rusher.  Our biggest problem at that time would be the fear that he'd hold out asking for more money, but that would be a bridge to cross later.

If he continues to play all year like he did in week 1, he will become the highest paid player in league history, 100%, no doubt about it (well, until Parsons then signs his extension, but he'll still top Bosa's numbers).  That's what happens in this league, the next star player to sign, particularly if they're a Free Agent, breaks the previous record holder's number.  If he's not willing to keep negotiating this season (and frankly, after week 1, if I'm his agents I wouldn't let him sign anything this year), then I think the best move for the franchise is to trade him for the best possible offer before the deadline.

Letting him play out the year to where we have to tag him and then deal with that all next offseason is worst case scenario as it only ends with paying him $35+ million a year or him sitting out until week 10, as there is a less than 0% chance he plays next year on the tag until he's forced to come in to get the season counted for him.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 1

42 minutes ago, Jmac said:

WTF....Just keep trading our best players and we will have a team full of JAG's. Not going to win anything like that.

Keep a core group of very good players and fill in the pieces. It's not rocket science.

You're looking at it in terms of absolutes.  

I think there are VERY few people here who actually want to trade him in general, I know I sure as hell don't.  But when it is very possibly the decision between trading him or paying him $35 million a season, with what this team still needs, I don't think we can pay him that.

I'm 100% on board with giving him $28-30 million to keep him, he's that good of a player.  And honestly, in a vacuum, I probably wouldn't be against paying him that $35 a year either.

But when the alternative to paying the $35 would be to get 2 firsts (yes, someone will still give us that, even if they end up being picks in the 20's) that can get us good talent on cheap deals.  And then also getting to use that $35 a year to go sign say, a $20/year WR and a $15/year pass rusher, on top of the firsts, then I think that's a hard thing to ignore.

Your point of "filling in the pieces" is correct, the problem is that it will be very hard to fill in those pieces if we have to make Burns the highest paid defensive player in league history.

This one is 100% on Fitterer for not paying him before the season started, as that was a deal that could have been done at $28-30 a year, for sure.  But he bluffed a hand he didn't have and Burns called him on it and very well may put up video game numbers this year.

Edited by tukafan21
  • Pie 4