• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Scott Fitterer Set Us Back A Decade w/ Two Trades

App Panther

Was just looking at the list of NFL teams and it occurred to me, we are the only team in the NFL right now who has a starting QB that the team traded a massive haul to move up in the draft to get them.  And it's not like those trades haven't been made in the last 10-15 years, those QBs just didn't work out.

The Chiefs traded a 3rd and a future 1st to move up from 27 to 10 to take Mahomes, but not sure that counts as a haul and they did that when they already had a contending team fully built out.

The massive trades to move up to take a QB just don't end up usually working out.  

Half because if there was a QB available in the draft that was THAT good, most teams would take them and trade/cut whoever they already had, like the Colts did with Luck/Manning or the Cardinals want to do with Williams/Kyler.

And before people say "but we didn't have a QB, what do you want us to do, sit around and not make the move to get one?"

Well, 19 of 31 teams (not counting the Cardinals right now as they would be starting Kyler) in this league are currently starting QB's that they either drafted outside the Top 10 or acquired through a trade or free agency.  Those teams are also a combined 24-14 so far this year, so not like they're struggling.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

Well when he looks as bad as he has then takes will come in hot. 

Hot takes are generally dumb takes.

3 hours ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Jesus this fanbase sucks.

2 games into his rookie year and he's already been written off.

Unbelievable.

You've got a bunch who are going to throw out panic takes at the first sign of adversity just so if things actually do turn out bad they can say they said it first.

Mind you, if the takes wind up looking stupid they'll either act like they never said them or go "oh, I'm happy to be proven wrong".

Yeah sure 😄

Nuance, patience and perspective aren't popular ideas on the Internet.

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, ChibCU said:

Yep it's these half-hearted resets/rebuilds that are killing me. Ownership/management keep being fooled that we're just a few pieces away. Stuck in this awful cycle.

I disagree you don't need a fulll rebuild in the NFL, teams turn it around all the time in one season. What you need is to be able to identify talent in FA and draft well. 

What was the point of bringing in a player like Hasaan Reddick to ball out for one year if you weren't going to sign him long term, at a premium position none the less.

We gave up draft capital for players like Henderson, and ultimately sold the farm for Young if you get things like that wrong you set your franchise back. 

7 hours ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

No way Fitt survives if we get a top 5 pic this year. That is a fireable offense. But Tepper is still the owner and fired Rhule late. So I would not be surprised if Tepper doesn’t drag it out. 

We don’t have a first round pick. Only people getting a top 5 will be Chicago with our pick…lol

8 hours ago, HarbingersDad said:

And in the process miss one of the most talented QB drafts in recent memory. There’s so much talent coming out in 2024 it’s almost stupid. Imagine not trading DJ, sucking this year, and being in play for Caleb Williams. That’s what we fugged ourselves on. 

Every single year we hear "next year's QB class is better, just wait." I'm sure once next season rolls around it'll be the same. At some point you have to start taking shots at getting your franchise QB. It's waaay too early to say either way but if Bryce turns out to not be the guy we'll try again. One year without a first isn't crippling in the slightest.

• Pie 1

Fitterer can’t build a roster. He’s in on every trade because the other GMs know he’s easy to fleece. I haven’t seen anything done under him that has given me comfort that he’s the best option at GM. He doesn’t have Rhule to blame anymore. I mean heck, we all knew we were thin at CB (Jackson and Horn are injury prone and Henderson is a liability in coverage) yet he didn’t make a move to improve the position. He overpaid for an over the hill Thielen, still hasn’t closed the deal on our best defender, overpaid for a RB (Sanders), is carrying 5 TEs (who knows why), and is heavy at Safety. At some point someone needs to turn the attention towards Fitt and the poor roster he has assembled.

We’re about to find out how good this coaching staff is to gameplan around our roster deficiencies. 

QB - rookie and solid backup

RB - overpaid RB, Rhule’s wife’s pick

WR - over the hill WR, injury prone deep threat, unproven third year receiver, rookie WR, returner

TE - one receiving TE and four blockers (one we resigned for who know what reason)

LT/RT - two starters and nobody else

C - starter and nothing else

G - two injured last year (and this year), a rookie, and some randoms

D Line- two starters for three positions

OLB - two great starters and a couple warm bodies

MLB - two good starters and journeymen backups

CB - injury prone, liability, and nothing else

S - solid starters and depth

4 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

Was just looking at the list of NFL teams and it occurred to me, we are the only team in the NFL right now who has a starting QB that the team traded a massive haul to move up in the draft to get them.  And it's not like those trades haven't been made in the last 10-15 years, those QBs just didn't work out.

The Chiefs traded a 3rd and a future 1st to move up from 27 to 10 to take Mahomes, but not sure that counts as a haul and they did that when they already had a contending team fully built out.

The massive trades to move up to take a QB just don't end up usually working out.  

Half because if there was a QB available in the draft that was THAT good, most teams would take them and trade/cut whoever they already had, like the Colts did with Luck/Manning or the Cardinals want to do with Williams/Kyler.

And before people say "but we didn't have a QB, what do you want us to do, sit around and not make the move to get one?"

Well, 19 of 31 teams (not counting the Cardinals right now as they would be starting Kyler) in this league are currently starting QB's that they either drafted outside the Top 10 or acquired through a trade or free agency.  Those teams are also a combined 24-14 so far this year, so not like they're struggling.

49ers gave up a lot for Lance but they were smart enough to know he sucked. I guess if he didn’t get hurt last year they might not have found out what Purdy could do. In today’s NFL you have to constantly be improving and that includes QB. If we don’t see some substantial improvement soon we need to keep taking swings at the position. None of this waiting 3 years to see if he really sucks crap. 

8 hours ago, Chad_Cota said:

Scott Fitterer’s resume: 

trade for Gilmore, did not resign. 
trade for CJ Henderson for a 3rd, dan Arnold. 
Trade for Shenault. 
Trade for Bryce. (2 1st, 2 2nds, and DJ Moore)

Traded CMC for a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th 

Rams offered 2 1st, 2nd for burns. Last year of contract, no extension. 

Ouch 

2 minutes ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

Can you blame us? We have been through absolute hell with this team. 

No we haven't. You all sound like a bunch of whiny babies. Lions fans have gone through hell. Browns fans went through hell. Jets fans have gone through hell. CARDINALS fans are perpetually in hell. 

We went to a superbowl less than a decade ago and haven't earned a top 5 pick since we took Cam.

God forbid the rookie QB doesn't look like an all-pro with a cast of jags who have never played together before. 

I want Fitterer gone as much as the next guy but the trade up to 1 wasn’t just him. 

I’d also love to know how much weight his opinion on which QB he wanted carried. I can’t imagine it was very much with the Tepper’s, Reich, Capers, McCown, Caldwell and maybe even Brown walking around. 

Fitterer and Samir have done an awful job in gauging the market during free agency and it’s painfully obviously Fitterer and his team can’t draft worth sh!t

• Pie 1