• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

4 minutes ago, Puresteel55 said:

Was Olave open on that beauty for l catch along the sideline? 
He was NFL open.

Bryce would have never thrown that ball because the receiver “wasn’t open”.

We don’t have a single receiver that is ever “NFL open” because they can’t make NFL catches. Comparing Olave to us is wild lol.

5 minutes ago, KatsAzz said:

I don't think Bryce Young is the problem for the Panthers. He isn't playing great as a rookie but it seems clear that the talent around him isn't good enough.

The Panthers have time to fix that in the years to come. Young looks reasonable enough so far. The results will come once the Panthers upgrade the offense.

Doesn’t make me feel better that our first overall QB needs a perfect team around him to succeed. That is the same excuses people made about Sam Darnold. He would be good if the team around him was. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, SCO96 said:

Do you think we have a guy on the roster to make that play? One of the reasons I'm down on Fitz is the WR situation.

We've taken two receivers in the 2nd round since he's been around (TMJ and Mingo). I think most of us would agree that a receiver taken in those rounds should be more than a possession receiver. They need to be difference makers.

The jury is still out out on Mingo since he is a rookie. Still, I thought we would have seen more attempts to get him the further downfield. I haven't seen anything from TMJ in our system to suggest he's anything more than a JAG who can be easily replaced.  I think Theilan and Hurst are what we expected them to be. But, we need at least one playmaker (preferably two) who can stretch the field.

Yes I do. 

But first the Qb has to make the throws. 

I don't think we have the best tandems of receivers in the league, but it's not the worst either. 

I'm on the record as saying I think it's more of the playcalling than it is Byrce. 

150 yards passing a game so far is not cutting it, that's Sam Donald territory atleast with him we only gave up a 2nd and 4th rd pick for him

We traded a 1st rd pick and DJ Moore essentially 2 first round picks if you count where Moore was drafted and his talent level. 

People clowning the Giants when our offense hasn't looked much better. 

7 minutes ago, Dorian Gray said:

A very vocal group of media/fans were calling Tua a bust and wanted Miami to dump him for Watson... until they got him a coach who played to his strengths and some talented weapons on the outside. A QB can't do everything, especially when he's not being put in situations to succeed.

I hoped that Reich would build an offense around Bryce’s strengths. Seems like that was to much to hope for. 
Never saw an offensive version of Rivera/Fox but here we are. 

• Pie 2

I'm not trippin, I do think Frank should let Thomas start calling plays though. We only lost by three and we played like dog water on offense. I'm a little flabbergasted at how bad Miles Sanders has been. We definitely need a power back in the stable. Definitely a rebuilding year.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, thebdawg said:

We don’t have a single receiver that is ever “NFL open” because they can’t make NFL catches. Comparing Olave to us is wild lol.

you’ve gotta understand, people here get really attached to certain things and thus diminish others. The bengals passing on penei Sewell for jamarr chase was treasonous. The saints trading an extra 1 for a wide out is laughable.

they genuinely cannot process what you’re saying. Shouldn’t a strong running attack mean you can save money at receiver? What if we just like played with more grit?

Edited by Growl

13 minutes ago, Dorian Gray said:

A very vocal group of media/fans were calling Tua a bust and wanted Miami to dump him for Watson... until they got him a coach who played to his strengths and some talented weapons on the outside. A QB can't do everything, especially when he's not being put in situations to succeed.

While Tua has put up some impressive games, if you watch them play, he singlehandedly leaves so many points and big plays on the field every week, especially since they got Tyreek.  I can't count the number of times that ive turned their games on and Tyreek beat his man over the top but has to work his way back to an underthrown ball 40 some yards down the field.  To his credit though, at least he tries those passes.  Bryce wont even do that.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, woahfraze said:

The folks who are saying they’ve seen no flashes whatsoever from Bryce so far either are just box score scouting, don’t know anything about football, or simply people who will forever find something to complain about. 

Three throws from last night stick in my mind. The first was in the 3rd quarter, I believe. We were backed up near our own end zone and early in the drive, Bryce made a really nice throw for a first down while rolling to his left. The throw was a bit back across his body and had some zip on it. This sort of off platform, odd arm angle throw is absolutely an NFL throw and not every QB could make it. It demonstrates that Bryce has good enough arm strength.  Arm strength isn’t just about throwing the ball long. It’s about the zip on the ball. Bryce isn’t Cam or Josh Allen. He can’t throw a frozen rope 40 yards to the far hash, but not a lot of QBS can. He’s got enough arm strength to play at this level. 

The last two were on the final TD drive. That throw to Mingo right before the TD was some capital A anticipation. He made a nice shoulder fake and then released the ball before Mingo made his break to the post.  The other throw was a really nice find for the two point conversion. It didn’t look like he had anything available as he rolled right, but he fit the ball in for the conversion. 

He showed some flashes, particularly of his anticipation, in the Atlanta game too. Yes, we’d all like him to have performed more consistently at this point, but it’s clear as day watching that his inconsistency is just part of our overall problem on offense.  It feeds and is fed by some really poor scheming, route design, and playcalling as well as failure to execute by teammates. It’s hard to know what’s the chicken and what’s the egg. Is the coaching staff unable to open up the playbook because they can’t trust the players or are the players looking worse because the coaching staff aren’t dialing up the right plays at the right time? Nothing has clicked. The team, coaching staff included, hasn’t gelled. Whether they will or not remains to be seen. Im less hopeful that the coaching staff will figure things out than I am Bryce will improve his consistency. And unfortunately that might mean overall Bryce will be seen as struggling more than he actually is. 

Don’t forget the chark throw in the first quarter off of the play action roll out. He had to readjust while rolling left to suddenly stop and throw while defender was pursuing him and he fit it in between two defenders.

but don’t let me disturb the narrative in this thread .. so I’ll go back to packing for Italy.

• Pie 1

51 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Looking through the schedule, I just don't see it. Absent a complete philosophical flip on offense, we aren't going to win. You don't win with a rookie QB throwing 30 to 40 times a game. Hell, we didn't win with Darnold doing that.

We only started winning when we started to run, and run, and run so we could play action. We have the same issue the Cardinals have and that is a short QB, unfamiliar with being under center, who won't be able to run 50 to 60% of plays from there. It provides infinitely more versatility than running out of the shotgun and takes pressure off of the line, tight ends, and receivers. 

Reich needs to evaluate what made this group successful last year and try to implement some of what Wilks had done.

At this point, Wilks is the best head Coach the Panthers have had under Tepper. I think he would be a better Head Coach than Reich. Wilks could've easily brought in Thomas Brown, Ejiro Evero, et. AL. himself and could have been the delegator we need. We saw what Reich was with the Colts. 

Reich is a good man, but man am I angry that Tepper didn't retain Wilks after the miracle he performed last year.

I wasnt sold on Reich from the start but decided to give him a chance. I'm starting to believe he just isn't very good. Indy dropped him like a hot rock for a reason. Whatever happened to "we need a young offensive minded coach" anyway?

3 minutes ago, xPariahx said:

I'm not trippin, I do think Frank should let Thomas start calling plays though. We only lost by three and we played like dog water on offense. I'm a little flabbergasted at how bad Miles Sanders has been. We definitely need a power back in the stable. Definitely a rebuilding year.

Honestly I’m surprised it was only 3. We couldn’t stop hill if our life depended on it. If they had used him in the red zone more I’d be surprised if we didn’t lose by 20 or more. 

Edited by Harbingers