• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young hot take

Zod

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just saying we're going to have to find receivers that can get wide ass open to make this work.

Everything seems broken right now. We can't throw so we want to run heavier formations to run the ball better but then when we try to pass out of those formations there's too much traffic in front of Bryce for him to see the field. 

True but then we gotta get Bryce to actually hit the open target instead of putting it in the turf 10 yards in front of them or 10 yards above their head. 

I can not believe how negative people are being about Bryce. First off he has played two games as a rookie in his career. Second off, our WRs are terrible. Watch the film, hardly any seperation ever. 

The few times they do get it they either drop the ball or are so slow they get tackled immediately. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

True but then we gotta get Bryce to actually hit the open target instead of putting it in the turf 10 yards in front of them or 10 yards above their head. 

I just think he knows he doesn't have the arm to fit the ball into those tight windows so he's trying to make throws where if he misses it'll be a safe miss and he's just plain missing trying to do that 

• Pie 3

Just now, mrcompletely11 said:

thats exactly what it looks like to me, he is playing timid

Way way too timid. But if he doesn’t, does he have 5 interceptions a game or does he click? There’s only one way to find out. Reich’s comment too doesn’t help things, here’s the keys to the car but you can only drive it around the neighborhood. That’s some bullcrap control tactic poo. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Zod said:

I think he is the next Drew Brees if he gets the right coaching.

We don't know how well Brees would have done his rookie season, because he didn't start. But I suspect he would have looked a lot like Bryce.

I was always jealous of how quickly Brees would dissect the defense and that quick gd release. So hard to defend.

I see that potential in Bryce. 

Literally was thinking this right after the game last night. He can get the ball out quicker than most QB's, and his processing is also quicker than most as well.

My concern is the play calling and not having enough receiving help. Coaches tend to get stuck in their old ways even if what they're doing doesn't work for this group of personnel, and receivers are hard to come by in this league.

The offensive line will clean up over time (injuries, free agency next season).

This year may end up being a tough one due to the lack of weapons and accumulating injuries on both sides of the ball, but going forward I'm confident that we have our guy.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

Please watch other football games and see how open WRs are due to talent/skill. There hasn’t been a lot of places to go with the football. 

you sure you even watch other games? every comment ive seen thus far from you has been an insult to people's knowledge of the game, where it seems you may be lacking. The truth is, we call 3 or 5 step drops, you release the ball on those steps, throw to a spot and receiver should be there. Last night he was not pulling the trigger, where it seems like he wanted to confirm a receiver is open. Let's hope our coaches can push that so he reaches his potential.

32 minutes ago, frankw said:

I think Young has the right mental make up to become a starter in this league. But the physical limitations that were often talked about pre-draft but shouted down by people who latched onto him by leading with their emotion are going to be very challenging to overcome. I know we've disagreed on different things over the course of Panthers fandom. But I hope you can agree there's a legitimate level of concern there. I mean we really took our #1 pick off the field multiple times in favor of Andy Dalton to move the sticks in short yardage. If we weren't Panthers fans we would be laughing our asses off.

I am concerned too but I think for different reasons than most. I liked the call to have Dalton run it to be honest. I don't see a point risking that with Bryce when you have a beefier backup you can offer up for sacrifice. Just like it makes more sense for NO to run Hill over Carr. 

I know you said you've moved on so I'm talking past you here, but I think Cam has this fanbase thinking that if a #1 pick can't singlehandedly carry a bad team then they must be a bust. The only QB in this class with the sort of game that could have won sunday is AR and as you pointed it's not sustainable. That doesn't make AR better or more "NFL ready" than Bryce either he just has a different set of tools.  

We moved up to #1 for a QB that (for once) will make all the throws he's asked to make and isn't going to implode the moment he faces adversity. I still think Bryce is that guy if we get him the pieces. I do worry about this staff's ability to do that before he gets set in his ways.

Edited by MechaZain

3 hours ago, Zod said:

I think he is the next Drew Brees if he gets the right coaching.

We don't know how well Brees would have done his rookie season, because he didn't start. But I suspect he would have looked a lot like Bryce.

I was always jealous of how quickly Brees would dissect the defense and that quick gd release. So hard to defend.

I see that potential in Bryce. 

"...With the right Coaching." Um...isn't this the all-star staff that everyone in the league was wishing they had a couple of months ago? A

• Pie 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is what I'm not understanding from the cope brigade. You don't trade everything we did to draft a QB that needs to be surrounded by an All-Pro supporting cast. Lots of QBs could be successful in a perfectly ideal situation. Those just don't really exist in the NFL. Every roster has holes.

Its funny cuz Cj Stroud got knocked for having a great supporting cast....he wasnt supposed to be good without one but he doing just fine so far. Bryce was praised for doing more with less so that made him easily the best qb according to folks. 5 minutes in the league and he needs all pros at every skill position to be successful. That never narrative changed real quickly. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Let's all be honest for just a second. If a division rival had made this trade for a guy who had looked like Bryce has through two games we would all be ROLLING laughing.

And it would be foolish to do so.

Maybe Young doesn't work out.  But it is 2 weeks into his rookie season.  It would be just as wrong to write him off and laugh at his performance even if he wasn't a Carolina Panther.  It isn't like he's looked flat-out terrible.  He's looked like a rookie playing in a bad offense.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1