• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This Team Has Been Hamstrung for Several Years

Hoenheim

We've been generally terrible at drafting for several years and its an huge contributing factor to our losing mostly since 2017. Let's go over last 10 years:

Either a pick is a hit or miss given, I consider a pick a hit if the player was at least a good or great contributor for more than 1 year to the team. I tried to be a little lenient in the sense they don't have to be super stars or pro bowler

2019 to 2022 in particular are extremely bad and those probably have the highest impact on this current team.

2013: 3/5 hits (Star, Short, AJ Klein)
2014: 4/6 hits (KB, T.Turner, T.Boston, B. benwikere)
2015: 2/5 (Shaq, Funchess)
2016: 1/5 (Bradberry)
2017: 3/7 (CMC, Samuel, Moton)
2018: 2/8 (DJ Moore, Donte Jackson)
2019: 1/7 (Brian Burns)
2020: 1/7 (Derrick Brown) 
2021: 1/11 (Brady Christensen) 
2022: 1/6  (Ickey Ekwonu) 
2023: 2/5 (Almost impossible to grade but, maybe Bryce and Mingo.) 

**a little hard to grade due to KB being a bit controversial but he definitely contributed to the team for more than a year 
** 2021 is a little debatable but Horn has been comprised due to injury, I don't think Hubbard  has been that good just decent. 

These drafts are much worse if you grade more harshly. A lot of people don't think KB or Funchess were worth much 

Edited by Hoenheim
  • Pie 3

Just now, amcoolio said:

As much as I had high hopes for Mingo, he does not look promising. How do you quit on routes this early in your NFL career. I really thought he was going to be the next DK Metcaf/AJ Brown/Amon Ra type player that we needed. I know its only game three, hopefully he improves

I almost didn't even include this year's draft. But from the early signs it could possibly be the worst draft the panthers ever had if Bryce and Mingo fail.

• Beer 1

1 minute ago, jb2288 said:

You have to add Chinn to 2020. 

2019 is DISGUSTING to look back on

Yea some of those are debatable. Chin had a good year but recently hasn't done much I kinda struggled to justify adding him. I guess by my lower standards he's been a consistent contributor but idk how good he's been outside year 1.

• Pie 1

The only players left from our last playoff team are Moton, Shaq Thompson (out for the year) and JJ Jansen (long snapper). The only other proven talent we drafted since our Super Bowl year are either gone (Bradberry, CMC, Moore) or without a long-term deal (Burns, Brown). If you want a reason for why this franchise has atrophied, it's the bad misses in the draft and not replacing generational talent (Cam, Luke) with even average replacements (jury out on Bryce obviously).

• Pie 7
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Yea some of those are debatable. Chin had a good year but recently hasn't done much I kinda struggled to justify adding him. I guess by my lower standards he's been a consistent contributor but idk how good he's been outside year 1.

Yeah I was hoping Chinn would make an impact somewhere on the field. It just doesn’t seem to be the case.

1 hour ago, Hoenheim said:

We've been generally terrible at drafting for several years and its an huge contributing factor to our losing mostly since 2017. Let's go over last 10 years:

Either a pick is a hit or miss given, I consider a pick a hit if the player was at least a good or great contributor for more than 1 year to the team. I tried to be a little lenient in the sense they don't have to be super stars or pro bowler

2019 to 2022 in particular are extremely bad and those probably have the highest impact on this current team.

2013: 3/5 hits (Star, Short, AJ Klein)
2014: 4/6 hits (KB, T.Turner, T.Boston, B. benwikere)
2015: 2/5 (Shaq, Funchess)
2016: 1/5 (Bradberry)
2017: 3/7 (CMC, Samuel, Moton)
2018: 2/8 (DJ Moore, Donte Jackson)
2019: 1/7 (Brian Burns)
2020: 1/7 (Derrick Brown) 
2021: 1/11 (Brady Christensen) 
2022: 1/6  (Ickey Ekwonu) 
2023: 2/5 (Almost impossible to grade but, maybe Bryce and Mingo.) 

**a little hard to grade due to KB being a bit controversial but he definitely contributed to the team for more than a year 
** 2021 is a little debatable but Horn has been comprised due to injury, I don't think Hubbard  has been that good just decent. 

These drafts are much worse if you grade more harshly. A lot of people don't think KB or Funchess were worth much 

I detect no lies!

• Beer 1

We've been hamstrung by organizational ineptness. It's pretty much been a disaster ever since Beane and company walked out the door. Look at the Bills. Look at us. Beane systematically gutted us of all of our organizational talent and I don't blame him. He was the heir apparent and JR waited a few months too long to throw his hissy fit and fire Gettleman. Though honestly, I think Beane would've taken the Buffalo gig anyway. Hindsight has proven that Gettleman deserved to be fired but ironically what got him fired (standing up to JR giving aging TD and Olsen career achievement contracts) he was actually right about. He deserved to get fired but he actually got fired for all the wrong reasons.

• Pie 3

54 minutes ago, jb2288 said:

You have to add Chinn to 2020. 

2019 is DISGUSTING to look back on

2019 is so much worse because we had Maxx Crosby and a bunch of OL in for private visits and somehow took Grier over Crosby and traded up to get Little.

We also got very lucky with Burns. Ferrell, Jones, Haskins and Lindstrom all went earlier than expected. Remember that Hurney was planning to take Little at 16 if Burns was gone.