• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Didn't Ask For This

Captroop

I hate this take, and you only hear it when things are going bad. Dont tell me bryce didn't ask for this whenever thing done up till draft was to make sure this kid was the first guy called. Bryce camp new panthers were taking a QB, bryce sat out the combine to protect his stock because they knew he would look inferior next to the other qbs plus forcing on weight just to silence the concerns. He didnt even meet with no teams outside of top 2, the media pushed him more than anybody as the best player and he already was doing media market campaigns before the draft happened. 

I dont want to hear who didnt want what now, the point is he got his spot as the no.1 guy and 40 million guaranteed like he was groomed too. Now its time to see some returm on that, i am in no way bout to feel sorry and sympathy for somethimg he and everybody around him embraced. Lets see some results.

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 4

13 minutes ago, Mage said:

It feels like we traded Christian McCaffrey and DJ Moore and got nothing out of it.  I still believe in Bryce (but not with this current team) but we are the worst team in the NFL.  We should have tanked when we had the chance after firing Rivera.  Instead we signed Teddy Bridgewater and the rest is history.  I still believe that offseason ruined this team.  We were in the perfect position to field a bad team (because we were), get the pain over with, and have our pick of the litter, and instead thought it was worth it to sign the most average QB imaginable.

Now we have no choice to tank because the team is that bad.  Brian Burns and Derrick Brown are really our only very good players, and Burns doesn't even have a long-term contract.  And we don't have a 2024 1st round pick.  Absolute failure by this organization and it is painful to be a fan of this mess. 

The timing of the ownership switch was brutal. Tepper’s initial pause and wanting to sort the financials year one had a big effect.

Hurney and Rivera both leaving should have been decisive and rather swiftly after 2018 showed us everything we needed to know about them. Tepper should have cleared house after, I mean the end of Cam was clear and he should’ve added a executive for personnel decisions.

Not this whole feel it out scenario that Tepper toyed with. The following offseason was bad in my view with Tepper keeping Ron, Hurney, drafting Burns, Little and Grier. Cam was shot and everyone knew it and that was a putrid draft (not to mention every since then as well)

That should’ve been the reset after 2018.. go into 2019 with a new coach, a meh FA QB like Tyrod or Foles, likely get a bad record, land Burrow/Tua/Herbert in the next draft.

We lied to ourselves about Cam, had this brief moment with Allen riding CMC to 4 in a row and then fell apart. 

Should’ve rebuilt around CMC right then and there.

• Beer 2

There are a couple outside factors working against Bryce that have little to nothing to do with his individual performance.

1) People are bitter and spiteful that he was overhyped - on these boards, by the Panthers' organization, and in the general media.  That's why you see comments like "But his S2!!!" and "but he's supposed to be the most NFL ready QB!!".  It was the discourse surrounding Bryce that have annoyed people, particularly those who wanted Stroud or Richardson and had to listen to all the hype about how Bryce was going to immediately take the league by storm and he was the smartest QB to ever live.  Understandable...but it is still spite-posting at the end of the day.

2) Stroud and Richardson's performances thus far.  Both seem to have transitioned to the NFL relatively seamlessly and achieved immediate success.  If those two have struggled similarly to Bryce, then we'd be a lot more patient on these boards.  Although I think the hype around Richardson thus far should probably be suppressed a bit because man those injuries are piling up.  Who would've thought the absolute tank of a QB would be the one experiencing an unrelenting barrage of injuries less than a third of the way into his rookie season.  Knee/ankle, concussion, and now shoulder.  But hey maybe the Colts are just faking it to have an excuse to play Minshew (wink wink...kidding).

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

34 minutes ago, Mage said:

It feels like we traded Christian McCaffrey and DJ Moore and got nothing out of it.  I still believe in Bryce (but not with this current team) but we are the worst team in the NFL.  We should have tanked when we had the chance after firing Rivera.  Instead we signed Teddy Bridgewater and the rest is history.  I still believe that offseason ruined this team.  We were in the perfect position to field a bad team (because we were), get the pain over with, and have our pick of the litter, and instead thought it was worth it to sign the most average QB imaginable.

Now we have no choice to tank because the team is that bad.  Brian Burns and Derrick Brown are really our only very good players, and Burns doesn't even have a long-term contract.  And we don't have a 2024 1st round pick.  Absolute failure by this organization and it is painful to be a fan of this mess. 

Right there with you. We had a freaking perfect opportunity in 2020. Within 3 years Brees, Brady and Ryan were all gone. We had 4 comp picks coming our way that year and a chance to roll up cap savings for a splurge after we got our rookie QB. We had a chance to pile on picks as well through vet trades but we tried to have our cake and eat it too.

Unfortunately, Rhule and Fitterer (the next year) were the wrong guys but we had a window and we didn’t take it and we continued to act like we were close and we wasted 4 years already and appear to be in bad shape with no 1st next year. Sucks.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Captroop said:

If anything is likely to "David Carr" Bryce, it's the amount of pressure that's put on him in terms of our expectations to succeed based on his performance alone.

Being the #1 overall pick already comes with with an enormous amount of pressure. Now imagine the weight Bryce must be feeling every day knowing:

• The Panthers made me their #1 overall selection
  • The Panthers traded up to make me their #1 overall selection
  • The Panthers traded next year's 1st round selection to make me their #1 overall selection
  • The Panthers traded their best offensive weapon to make me their #1 overall selection
  • Multiple people put their careers and livelihoods on the line, vouching for me that I was worth trading all that for
  • An entire coaching and ownership regime is betting their future on me being the centerpiece of their offense and the star of the franchise
  • The Panthers gave up so much they can only surround me with mediocre talent, and they count on ME to be the reason the team is successful
  • The coaches are starting me over a more qualified veteran because everyone needs ME to prove THEY were right
  • If I don't pan out, the investment the Panthers made in me will be what sets this franchise back a decade

And now imagine all of that going through your head and not only not being immediately successful, but being the center of attention of a team that looks like it may be historically bad.

Frankly, the amount of expectation that our FO, coaching and fanbase has piled on Bryce is unreal, unprecedented, and unfair. Because at the end of the day, all that we gave up for him, was our team's bad decision.

So if anything has the likelihood to "ruin" Bryce Young, it's the stress of knowing that because of the amount we gave up for him, which is not something he ever asked for us to do, and in spite of the weak team we surrounded him with, he doesn't get the benefit of a rookie learning curve. Every mistake is exponentially worse, because the amount we gave up for him can only be justifiable if he is great NFL QB.

I still don't know if Bryce has the physical tools to be a great QB in this league. But if Bryce mentally survives this season, I'll actually have a lot more hope for him in the future.

This is good.

On an off note, I'd add that even if Bryce does fail, which is still very much up in the air, it's not the end of the fuging world or the franchise. All that would mean is that those in charge have to work harder to get us to where we want to be. Other teams have moved up and made the wrong choice before and survived.

• Beer 1

53 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

At the same time, the staff and FO believed in him and went all in on him, confident that he was worthy of the #1 overall pick and of being a franchise QB.

So in terms of whether to feel bad for him or not, or considering if expectations were unrealistic or too high - I'm sorry, brother, but this is the modern day NFL.  If we take a player at #1, we expect you to change the direction of our franchise for the better.  We expect you to set the tone and team culture.  For better or worse, that's what comes with being the #1 overall pick now, so it wasn't unfair or unrealistic.  And again, if he didn't feel he could live up to that, he should've let them know in the pre-draft process.

I suspect it was the Tepper’s and Fitterer more so then the staff  Tepper gets what he wants 

agree with the rest 

i see nothing in him that is a nfl ready 

glad he did well on the nfl version of a video game 

I’m sure he is nice to his Momma and old people but that’s not the moniker here 

nor is it Alabama in which he gets to stand there for 5 seconds with all stars to throw to against poor defenses 

where is good ole Mr Scott to  remind us it is ‘too early’

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

He might not have asked for it, but if he didn't feel he was capable of living up to the expectations then he should've let them know and gracefully bowed out of the runnin for #1.  But he didn't.  So is he gonna return his salary?  No.  So it's hard to feel bad for the guy.

At the same time, the staff and FO believed in him and went all in on him, confident that he was worthy of the #1 overall pick and of being a franchise QB.

So in terms of whether to feel bad for him or not, or considering if expectations were unrealistic or too high - I'm sorry, brother, but this is the modern day NFL.  If we take a player at #1, we expect you to change the direction of our franchise for the better.  We expect you to set the tone and team culture.  For better or worse, that's what comes with being the #1 overall pick now, so it wasn't unfair or unrealistic.  And again, if he didn't feel he could live up to that, he should've let them know in the pre-draft process.

Exactly this. There's a reason why we took you at #1, and in this day and age, you better come in and hit the ground running while elevating everyone around you. 

If poo has to be perfect around you to succeed, then we didn't do our homework correctly and everyone is to blame. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Knaakedup said:

Exactly this. There's a reason why we took you at #1, and in this day and age, you better come in and hit the ground running while elevating everyone around you. 

If poo has to be perfect around you to succeed, then we didn't do our homework correctly and everyone is to blame. 

Do you consider someone like Joe Burrow to be worthy of the #1 overall pick?  He had pretty pedestrian numbers his rookie season before they went out and drafted arguably the best receiver in the league.  I think he's probably got the best WR corps in the NFL, with Chase/Higgins/Boyd.  Is he truly elevating the team around him?  Even in college, his monster season came with Chase and Jefferson, who are arguably the top two receivers in the NFL today.  He has never been successful without an absolute dominant WR corps.  His o-line has been bad, yeah, but an elite group of WRs can help mitigate a bad o-line.  Bryce has neither.

I hear the Tua comp thrown around about how Bryce can be successful if you just hook him up with elite WRs, and the predictable response is "why does a #1 overall pick need everything to be absolutely perfect before he succeeds" but Joe Burrow is always left out of these conversations.  It's okay to invest in your #1 overall pick QB, I don't understand the notion of him having to put the entire team on his back.  Yeah we got spoiled with Cam doing that, but that's not normal.

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, carpanfan96 said:

I knew he wasn't going to play well, especially out of the gate. Only worse when you realize that the offense isn't built for him. So... yea. 

The added weight at the combine and not doing drills, then doing drills at pro day but not being weighed shoulda told everyone all they needed to know. 

He plays at 185 and gets down into the low 180s to the high 170's during seasons. 

He doesn't have the size to be in the NFL and I don't mean height. 

If he's successful, he will be the first sub 190 qb to ever be successful In the modern nfl. 

To think he will be successful is putting to much expectations on him to start with.  

Screw everything else. 

Yeah I have no problem with the height it’s his size that is something within his control that’s now an issue.

16 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Do you consider someone like Joe Burrow to be worthy of the #1 overall pick?  He had pretty pedestrian numbers his rookie season before they went out and drafted arguably the best receiver in the league.  I think he's probably got the best WR corps in the NFL, with Chase/Higgins/Boyd.  Is he truly elevating the team around him?  Even in college, his monster season came with Chase and Jefferson, who are arguably the top two receivers in the NFL today.  He has never been successful without an absolute dominant WR corps.  His o-line has been bad, yeah, but an elite group of WRs can help mitigate a bad o-line.  Bryce has neither.

I hear the Tua comp thrown around about how Bryce can be successful if you just hook him up with elite WRs, and the predictable response is "why does a #1 overall pick need everything to be absolutely perfect before he succeeds" but Joe Burrow is always left out of these conversations.  It's okay to invest in your #1 overall pick QB, I don't understand the notion of him having to put the entire team on his back.  Yeah we got spoiled with Cam doing that, but that's not normal.

IMG_7568.jpeg.98e26480f9651b25338c0402ba13d0d3.jpeg

3 of his first 4 games in the league he went over 300. 6/2 TD/INT ratio. He went over 400 yards in his 7th game. If that’s pedestrian then what do we call what Bryce is doing?

10 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Burrows rookie year had 3.2 TD % and 1.2 INT % while completing 65% of his passes while his team scored 99 points in 4 games. They had losses of 3 points, 5 points , a tie game and an 8 point win. 

Bryce has passing yard totals of 146, 153, 204, 247 in his first four games. 

Joe went over 300 yards 3 times in his first four starts. Putting the team on his back to keep them in games. Bryce hasn’t eclipsed 250 once. Not even comparable starts to their careers really. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

IMG_7568.jpeg.98e26480f9651b25338c0402ba13d0d3.jpeg

3 of his first 4 games in the league he went over 300. 6/2 TD/INT ratio. He went over 400 yards in his 7th game. If that’s pedestrian then what do we call what Bryce is doing?

While getting sacked 8 times in one game he still put up 300 yards and 70% completions. Insane. 

• Beer 1
  • Poo 1