• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce bashing needs to stop

Frank9999

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

This is an incredibly ridiculous assertion to make, especially because it is so very untrue. Bryce is taking some undue heat due to expectations that were set beyond his control, but the dude has not played well and is getting called on it just like the QBs you listed. Maybe no lt fair but it wasn't particularly fair to any of them.

First off, prove it's untrue! Bryce was bashed even BEFORE he was a Panther, repeatedly! That's pretty crazy...anyway.

The other guys, save for maybe P.J., had seasons up under their belts, and no one expected Walker to be the savior anyway, ever. And, to be honest, no one with any sense expected Teddy or Darnold to come in here and magically turn into QBs that they are not. 

You talk about them being called on their bad play. That's what you do with established vets, and to be honest it is to be expected. But you know what most knowledgeable NFL types dont do? they don't beat down a rookie QB for being a rookie QB after four damned games. Who does that? People who are totally delusional that thought they're crappy team and brand new (and maybe crappy) coaching staff was a lot farther along than reality would suggest.  

And, I'd argue that Teddy wasn't even bad, he was just Teddy. Walker was from the XFL (enough said), and Darnold was, at most, a below average QB when we acquired him. He was broken and needed to be fixed. Bryce is a rookie! Even though we traded up to get him---paid a big price---he's still a rookie with only FOUR GAMES under his belt---less than a handful of games---but some people think that he's supposed to come in here and be Peyton Manning (who threw 28 INTs as a rookie and basically sucked). A great amount of patience is required for a rookie, but, sure, there is going to be some criticism. Some criticism is to be expected. But, the fact is, that people are making definitive statements and even starting threads about how Bryce is essentially a bust and how we made the wrong decision after only four damn games. To me, that's what's ridiculous. 

Edited by top dawg

This organization has spent a ridiculous amount of draft assets/cap space on QB’s the last several years 

I think it’s fair to say the majority of the fan base favoured Stroud. This organization had Stroud ranked 3rd.

At this point everyone has the right to be pissed. The majority of this fan base has been more right than they’ve been wrong the last several years. Pretty sad when the fans are doing a better job from their couches than the people getting paid millions 

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

25 minutes ago, Varking said:

I watch every snap of Young, Fields, Stroud, Richardson. I don’t have All-22. I do not only watch YouTube highlights. However, I was just making a point that nobody here is studying these guys like some NFL scout to know what is being asked of each player. Where did I say his line was just as bad?

On 9/27/2023 at 10:31 AM, Varking said:

As folks have said, it’s just two games… 

But we on paper have a better offensive line ( Stroud had his whole starting offense miss the first two games basically ) , we have a better running back, we have better WRs, we have an all star coaching staff. They are better at TE on paper going into this season. 

But this can only be judged off of last season or three games of this season. 

On 9/27/2023 at 2:27 PM, Varking said:

Thielen last year had 700+ yards. TMJ had 400+. The top two for the Texans had 400+ and 500+. They drafted a WR in the third round. We drafted one in the second. Their offensive line finished in the bottom third last season. Ours was smack dab in the middle. They had a good RB who surprised people, we went out and bought a guy that had better bulk stats and efficiency stats and had a history of being decent at catching the ball. They hired a defensive minded head coach. We went offensive. 

Yes, going into the season the Panthers looked to have more talent and a significantly more promising offense than the Houston Texans. 

Well to your credit you have always qualified it with "on paper" or "going into the season".  But there's literally no other point in bringing all of that up other than to be arguing that we have similar supporting casts, unless I'm missing something.  Are you denying that that's what you're doing in these quotes?  It would appear to me at least, that you're doing the same exact thing I'm arguing against - opting to evaluate their supporting casts "on paper" rather than evaluating them on the field this season.  And this is all in the context of arguing against people who are partially excusing Bryce's poor start to the season because of his weak supporting cast.  I'll lay out the scene below...and for simplicity's sake, I'll just go ahead and cast you and I as the lead actors:

Me: "Of course Bryce has been playing bad...his o-line and receivers are awful"

You: "Well Stroud's o-line and receivers suck too...but he's still playing great.  Much better than Bryce."

Me: "His o-line and receivers haven't been nearly as bad as Bryce's"

And that's the point where we'd basically be inserting your quotes above.

53 minutes ago, Varking said:

I am sympathetic to it because Fields DID go through this and any time I defended Fields I got shredded for it. My question is, because none of us are studying CJ tape and we aren’t in huddles and locker rooms, how do we know what is being put on the plates of either guy? 

And because of what Fields went through and now in his second year of a new system and new coaching staff that’s what I don’t want for Bryce. I want him to be in the same system for years rather than have to learn a new one next year. That’s why I’m ok with trading away our defense to support our QBs development. That’s why I’m on record saying he needs two full seasons before he’s truly judged as a stud or a bust

I’m not unfairly critiquing Bryce. He’s being critiqued based on what he puts out in live games. That’s not me calling him a bust. And in the game day threads when he makes a great throw I say just that. When TheCasillas was doing his all 22 posts I was the one requesting the play where Bryce showed flashes of what he can do. I’m not just blindly hating the kid. 

His situation looks incredibly similar to what Fields went through for his first two years. No major weapons to throw to and a line that clearly isn’t great with a play caller not taking advantage of his strengths. And it frustrates the poo out of me to see that play out. 

Im not having buyers remorse on Bryce yet and I agree he was overhyped in terms of his football intelligence and processing. I don’t care about his height. But he’s ESPNs second lowest rated QB in the NFL on the QB Index only in front of one guy. It’s not just folks here on the forum frustrated with what we’ve seen so far. If he plays better, more folks will come around and there will be less complaining. We have three straight winnable games after the bye. We need to win. 

Appreciate what you say 

but. fields

1. Has a nfl sturdy build

2. can run and does  run without hesitancy or fear so the defense has to watch for that 

3  has a nfl level arm

Bryce may be a better processor in time but for now, his physical limitations are showing and he can’t run to hide the line weaknesses and he can’t or doesn’t throw deep so all the defense has to do is just close in on him. Over and over and over 

I want him to succeed but honestly, I don’t know what that looks like with him 

Edited by raleigh-panther
  • Beer 3

21 minutes ago, top dawg said:

First off, prove it's untrue! Bryce was bashed even BEFORE he was a Panther, repeatedly! That's pretty crazy...anyway.

The other guys, save for maybe P.J., had seasons up under their belts, and no one expected Walker to be the savior anyway, ever. And, to be honest, no one with any sense expected Teddy or Darnold to come in here and magically turn into QBs that they are not. 

You talk about them being called on their bad play. That's what you do with established vets, and to be honest it is to be expected. But you know what most knowledgeable NFL types dont do? they don't beat down a rookie QB for being a rookie QB after four damned games. Who does that? People who are totally delusional that thought they're crappy team and brand new (and maybe crappy) coaching staff was a lot farther along than reality would suggest.  

And, I'd argue that Teddy wasn't even bad, he was just Teddy. Walker was from the XFL (enough said), and Darnold was, at most, a below average QB when we acquired him. He was broken and needed to be fixed. Bryce is a rookie! Even though we traded up to get him---paid a big price---he's still a rookie with only FOUR GAMES under his belt---less than a handful of games---but some people think that he's supposed to come in here and be Peyton Manning (who threw 28 INTs as a rookie and basically sucked). A great amount of patience is required for a rookie, but, sure, there is going to be some criticism. Some criticism is to be expected. But, the fact is, that people are making definitive statements and even starting threads about how Bryce is essentially a bust and how we made the wrong decision after only four damn games. To me, that's what's ridiculous. 

I don't have to prove it - I'm not the one making the assertion. That's your responsibility. But playing along, saying he's taken more heat than any of those guys combined is just outright wrong. You either just joined the board 4 months ago or are intentionally ignoring the threads like these that came up after 3 seconds of Googling just Baker on this board:

I find this post from that last thread especially interesting.

image.png.876f2a8d1158953ad44bdb8e3892837a.png

Edited by KSpan
  • Flames 2

Young was supposed to be far, far ahead of Stroud and Richardson. That's what the experts said. That what our GM said. That's what our coaches said. That's what all the talking heads said. 

Here we are week 6 and the only time Bryce has shown anything that looks like he may be capable of being an NFL QB is in the 4th quarter when the other team is in prevent defense. 

So either BY isn't as ready as all the experts, coaches, GMs and talking heads said, or he is ready, and this is what it is and it isn't good. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 4