• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The most important part of Bryce’s play vs Texans

NAS

4 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

People have given Bryce a lot of bashing for his play and physical limitations, however I don't think anybody questions his toughness. He has taken hit after hit and been put in poor playcalling but still gets up and keeps going. If Bryce is going to be good, it'll be because of his toughness mentally and physically 

Completely agree. To me, with his playing style I really don’t see his “physical limitations” hindering him from being as successful at this level as he has been up to this point. He scans the field quickly and already throws with great anticipation so he will only get the ball out quicker with more reps and receivers that can win matchups. Along with that, he is twitchy which is good to how he plays and evades (although I think he is also figuring out how he can evade in the NFL as opposed to college) but he also has enough speed and makes good decisions when he decides to take off with it. Not like we’ve seen him try and pull a Cam and just start juking and outrunning people cause Cam just knew he could. When he takes off the coast has been pretty clear with maybe one defender to juke for good yardage. 

Physically, the only thing I’d like to see from him that I think could benefit how he plays is added strength (can open a different element to his game if he can have a different gear in regard to putting more zip on the ball whenever he has to) and gaining a little bit more weight/muscle so we don’t see arm tackle sacks happen so often. Fitterer already mentioned in the off-season that they have plans for both of those things in place with the strength coaches and nutrition so those things are on the way. 

Edited by CLG
  • Pie 2

2 hours ago, CLG said:

Completely agree. To me, with his playing style I really don’t see his “physical limitations” hindering him from being as successful at this level as he has been up to this point. He scans the field quickly and already throws with great anticipation so he will only get the ball out quicker with more reps and receivers that can win matchups. Along with that, he is twitchy which is good to how he plays and evades (although I think he is also figuring out how he can evade in the NFL as opposed to college) but he also has enough speed and makes good decisions when he decides to take off with it. Not like we’ve seen him try and pull a Cam and just start juking and outrunning people cause Cam just knew he could. When he takes off the coast has been pretty clear with maybe one defender to juke for good yardage. 

Physically, the only thing I’d like to see from him that I think could benefit how he plays is added strength (can open a different element to his game if he can have a different gear in regard to putting more zip on the ball whenever he has to) and gaining a little bit more weight/muscle so we don’t see arm tackle sacks happen so often. Fitterer already mentioned in the off-season that they have plans for both of those things in place with the strength coaches and nutrition so those things are on the way. 

I look for Bryce Young to be heavier and stronger next year and still retain  a good degree of quickness.

The needle determining his success is pointed upward.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

I'm more optimistic about Bryce after the last 2 games than I've been since before preseason. The switch to Thomas Brown will be huge in the long run, IMO. Still, until the OL improves and we get him some better receiving options the results are going to continue to be mixed.

It's nice to see Bryce show his toughness by getting up time after time after taking these hits, but it's absolutely not something we can allow to continue happening if he's ever going to reach his full potential. As much as we need to upgrade the weapons around him, the OL needs to be the #1 priority, IMO. Whether it's the scheme or personnel something has to change.

• Pie 3

He's becoming a bit more shifty in the pocket, which is exactly what has made other shorter QBs successful.  HIs footwork looks faster.  That is a major gripe of mine, but he's getting a bit better. 

Overall, my confidence remains very low in his long term success, but he's at least looking a little bit more like Bryce Young from Alabama.

19 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Won with a run "game" that produced 33 yards on 20 carries

23 of which came on 4 of those carries (Chubba long of 8, Young 7 yard scramble, Chubba's back to back 4 yard runs on the final drive), so the other 16 carries yielded a grand total of 10 yards.

Edited by UNCrules2187
  • Pie 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:49 PM, CLG said:

Good analysis.  Bryce is going to get stronger.  He's only what 21 or 22?

Remember CMC getting drug down by arm tackles during his rookie season?  Everyone said Kamara was better and CMC wouldn't be able to run in between the tackles at the NFL level.  CMC bulked up and nobody remembers saying that now.

Bryce's height isn't an issue.  We've seen that at Bama and now the NFL.  Bryce had 3 batted balls on Sunday, Bryce none.  

In some respects, Bryce is probably more cognizant of throwing lanes than most QB's b/c of his height.  Regardless, he's on pace to have less batted balls as a rookie than Cam did.

As long as he continues to add muscle as he matures and tries to avoid big hits, there's nothing else he can do.

And if you look at the statistics, "smaller" QB's don't get hurt anymore frequently than big QB's.  Look at Anthony Richardson this year.  Sh*t happens, and anyone can get injured.

Bryce has already proved he can take big hits and still keep his composure.

Edited by Seltzer
  • Flames 1

34 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Good analysis.  Bryce is going to get stronger.  He's only what 21 or 22?

Remember CMC getting drug down by arm tackles during his rookie season?  Everyone said Kamara was better and CMC wouldn't be able to run in between the tackles at the NFL level.  CMC bulked up and nobody remembers saying that now.

Bryce's height isn't an issue.  We've seen that at Bama and now the NFL.  Bryce had 3 batted balls on Sunday, Bryce none.  

In some respects, Bryce is probably more cognizant of throwing lanes than most QB's b/c of his height.  Regardless, he's on pace to have less batted balls as a rookie than Cam did.

As long as he continues to add muscle as he matures and tries to avoid big hits, there's nothing else he can do.

And if you look at the statistics, "smaller" QB's don't get hurt anymore frequently than big QB's.  Look at Anthony Richardson this year.  Sh*t happens, and anyone can get injured.

Bryce has already proved he can take big hits and still keep his composure.

My sentiments exactly. I almost mentioned the CMC parallel in the original post you quoted but decided not to because I felt the post was long enough. 

That’s exactly the type of purposeful body maturation that would benefit Bryce. I’m obviously not saying he should get that muscular, CMC went from slim to jacked..went from getting blown up in the hole, arm and shoe string tackles getting him down to immediately second season trucking and stiff arming people to the ground. I was like damn CMC I  see you lol

But if he is able to tap into his version of that, it’s a wrap. Bryce strikes me as someone dedicated to his craft so it may take a year or 2 but I get a feeling year 2 we all might notice a difference. If not, then maybe we can start labeling things “physical limitations” for him in the NFL. Right now, it’s too early. People have to give this man time to develop in all facets. 

Edited by CLG
  • Pie 1