• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Enough time has passed - Feedback on the new playcaller

Varking

I’m trying to be easy because this is the first time we got a win this season and it’s the first game Brown has ever called plays but there’s a lot to get better at here. 

To start, this was our lowest yardage total of the entire season. This was our third lowest scoring total of the season. In this game we had 10 drives with the football. 

3 of the 10 drives had us lose yards. 

6 of the 10 drives had less than 25 yards of offense. 

Once we lost the lead in the late third early fourth we went three and out on back to back drives and our defense luckily held them from scoring so we could go out and get that final drive. 

You also script most of your early plays and our first two drives were abysmal. It felt like he was better after the script was over. Obviously we loved the final drive for the walk off field goal but our other trips into the red zone weren’t good either. 

I was excited beforehand to see a new playcaller and I feel like during the game I had on some rose tinted goggles early on because we were in the game and then we won but after a second rewatch it seemed like all of our big plays were plays where things broke down and Bryce just made a play. 

I also did feel like we seemed less predictable so that was good. I don’t want to make this a negative thread I’m obviously stoked it feels like Bryce finally had THAT GAME where he’s showing everyone why he was a top pick in the draft and we won. I’m happy to be critical in a win rather than cranky after a loss. 

That being said though this was one of our worst offensive performances this season and I didn’t think the Texans were some dominant defense. Although looking at it now they are in the top half of the league in points per game on defense. 

What do you all think? We aren’t going to win many games putting up 15 points and I’m hopeful this gets better and better as the season goes on but I’m a little concerned now going into the Colts game. 

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

The scripts are developed from the same architecture and we just don't have the personnel to properly run misdirects or have a field stretching (horiz or vert) offense.  Brown is in new territory as a coach, so it's honestly hard to tell.  But yeah, wasn't anything that encouraging.  

What isn't hard to tell is how similar this looks to Indy last year so I think there's a greater issue at play.  So it's a bit diificult to parse much out yet from my vantage point.

• Pie 3

I felt and still feel like this is going to be more of an evolution than a revolution.  I think you have the same foundation, which seemed to be very shaky but there may be some different sprinkles thrown in. 

Not ready to judge just yet but I think the one positive take away is there seemed to be more emphasis on pushing stuff downfield. It could be my imagination but I got that vibe.  Time will tell.  

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, Pejorative Miscreant said:

I felt and still feel like this is going to be more of an evolution than a revolution.  I think you have the same foundation, which seemed to be very shaky but there may be some different sprinkles thrown in. 

Not ready to judge just yet but I think the one positive take away is there seemed to be more emphasis on pushing stuff downfield. It could be my imagination but I got that vibe.  Time will tell.  

That’s what I thought too. We did less screens but I think a chunk of the big plays was Bryce just making something happen. 

Yeah the offense wasn’t as predictable, i agree with that. There seem to be more chunk plays that we connected on, but the Texans defense was tough. We’re easily could have been another TD up but failed at the goal line. 

Let’s see where Brown goes from here. Having actually called the game now, maybe he’s seeing things that working and things aren’t better. It did seem like Mingo got open more and Chark even got more targets.

• Pie 6
  • Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Varking said:

That’s what I thought too. We did less screens but I think a chunk of the big plays was Bryce just making something happen. 

Sure, but screens limit what a guy like Bryce can do.  Yes, Bryce deserves the credit - but we actually had calls that allowed him to work a bit off script.

We just don't have playmakers.

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Improvements:

-play calls were getting in on time and with plenty of time still on play clock

-ball wasn't snapped with 1 sec left on play clock

-didnt waste a timeout to prevent delay of game(s)

That’s actually a big shout out I overlooked. Plays were consistently in earlier. Good catch. 

1 hour ago, Dave Gettleman's Shorts said:

Improvements:

-play calls were getting in on time and with plenty of time still on play clock

-ball wasn't snapped with 1 sec left on play clock

-didnt waste a timeout to prevent delay of game(s)

This alone was worth making the change. Only helps the product on the field which is struggling enough as it is. Pass pro and run game was utterly putrid but can't really say how much of that was correlated to the actual playcalling.

• Pie 1

We’re a bad team with a rookie QB who just won with 15 points against a Texans team that tied for the worst record in football last year and is also starting a rookie qb.

We rushed for 44 yards and gave up six sacks.  It’s an absolute miracle we won this game.  We had an inspired defensive performance combined with an uninspired Texans offensive performance and that’s the real reason our penalty aided, game winning field goal drive was even consequential.

The W shouldn’t confuse the situation at all.  We have run blocking and protection issues, RB issues, WR issues, TE issues and QB issues.  We threw for 180 yards (adjusted for sacks) and 1 TD and that was honestly Bryce playing his best football so far.

Bottom line, neither Reich or Brown can solve these issues with “creative” or even “genius” play calling.  We can’t execute the most basic poo.  We checked down a flea flicker, I’ve literally never seen that.  Miles Sanders ran the wrong route and nearly killed the most crucial play of the game.  As fans we should hope and cheer for getting the little things right.  If we can do that then there’s hope to install more expansive options and expect success.

I’m thrilled for the W and will enjoy it for what it is, a scrappy win instead of a sloppy loss.  I hope we can build from it and extract some confidence.  In UFC they often say winning a title makes you 30% better automatically.  We didn’t win a title but we did win a game and perhaps that will make us a little more confident we can do it again.

Edited by Newtcase
  • Pie 7