• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Former Panther OL Michael Wahle on Ikey

Tbe

11 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wouldn't say it's the only issue with Ekwonu, but it's in the mix.

Trying to do this the nice way, but this is what I hinted at before. Wahle is a former NFL OL and you are disagreeing with him saying the scheme change is overstated because we know you love the coaching staff. This is only believing articles/tweets when it suits you. Our young OL have not exceeded expectations and technique is an issue, which points to needing to improve the coaching unless Iky is uncoachable.

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Trying to do this the nice way, but this is what I hinted at before. Wahle is a former NFL OL and you are disagreeing with him saying the scheme change is overstated because we know you love the coaching staff. This is only believing articles/tweets when it suits you. Our young OL have not exceeded expectations and technique is an issue, which points to needing to improve the coaching unless Iky is uncoachable.

The inability and/or absolute refusal to criticize this staff or front office is quite bizarre and telling of mr scot.

We are 1-6 with an absolute dogshit offense and dogshit roster but hey its not their fault

• Beer 1

13 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

Maybe Campen got paid and he doesn't give a rats azz...

Campen has always been championed as one of our best coaches.   But maybe when you bounce around from team to team and find yourself employed by Matt Rhule? It's as red flag.  Maybe he isn't as high end as often portrayed. 

2 hours ago, Martin said:

Agree. It was also his first offseason coming off a strong finish to his first year. I think he got a bit overconfident, he doesn’t strike me as a guy that will not work hard. I think he’ll get after it this offseason.

You have to also consider the change in blocking scheme and, of course, the turmoil at left guard beside him. Chandler Zavala, despite having played with Ickey in college, was an absolute disaster and Calvin Throckmorton is a JAG at best.

I don't think it's a coincidence that as soon as we started having problems at LG that Ickey began to struggle.

But in general I agree 100% with what Wahle is saying here. Guys like Ickey can get by in college with being bigger and stronger than the opposition to the point that they don't have to be technically sound in order to succeed, but you HAVE to be a good technician at the NFL level to succeed.

A couple quotes from Wahle that I think sums up Ickey perfectly:

"Great feet, poor footwork."

This speaks to having all the athletic ability in the world, but needing to refine his technique and improve his consistency. As much as he has struggled at times this year, there have still been those flashes of the guy who was the #6 pick in the draft.

"Campy is a good coach who has helped produce a number of really great OLs, but this kind of talent has had years of people saying ‘good job’ instead of perfecting technique. Takes time and a general desire to improve."

This is something that can be applied to players at any position coming out of college. These guys are all great athletes - sometimes ELITE - who have dominated against lesser athletes for coaches who are OK with that because their job is to win, not develop players for the next level.

That said, I think if Ickey WANTS to be great, it's only a matter of time. He's shown he can play at this level, just not consistently yet. I also think we have a good OL coach who can get that out of him as long as Ickey is willing to put in the work, which we haven't seen any indication that he's not willing to do.

Only time will tell. I think his floor is a good starting guard, and that is an option if he continues to struggle, but I think we have to give him every opportunity to develop as a left tackle before using that 'break glass' option.

Edited by Jay Roosevelt
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

1 hour ago, WhoKnows said:

Wahle’s primary point in his radio interview yesterday was to say NFL coaches don’t have enough time with players to fix the kinds of issues Ikey has. If guys want to be good, they have to seek outside help. Relying on team practices alone doesn’t work.

He thinks Ikey’s poor technique is a clear sign that Ikey isn’t working on his technique with anyone. 

• Beer 2

39 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Wahle’s primary point in his radio interview yesterday was to say NFL coaches don’t have enough time with players to fix the kinds of issues Ikey has. If guys want to be good, they have to seek outside help. Relying on team practices alone doesn’t work.

He thinks Ikey’s poor technique is a clear sign that Ikey isn’t working on his technique with anyone. 

Good point, although the coaches need to see that and make sure he is. He’s the 6th pick in the draft. If the team needs to get him more outside help or make him do extra reps before and after, then they should. It’s not the first time that teams got involved. I mean we hired multiple coaches and brought in Dalton for Young’s development so we can’t just say Iky’s on his own and he’ll need to fix his technique on his own.

Coaches can’t spend extra time with all players but they damn well better put in extra time or get extra help if there are obvious issues for top 10 picks.

This also points to preseason and how it was handled. If we truly weren’t thinking playoffs, the starters, especially rookies/2nd year guys, should have played more. Maybe Iky’s footwork gets better. Maybe Young sees another defender do what Bates did. We sure didn’t need to hide the new playbook. 

15 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

You can't just plug the most athletic person in at a position and expect them to succeed. Technique trumps athleticism 90% of the time at this level. The bigger question than draft picks is how has our amazing oline coach not addressed these things? 

Don't we have supposedly one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL?

15 hours ago, Johnstonny said:

Maybe Campen got paid and he doesn't give a rats azz...

This. I can confirm he does not give a rats ass.

I was at the Seattle game sitting on the tunnel after that 8 false start performance and when I saw Campen walking into the tunnel, I looked him right in the eye and said 8 false start is way to fugging many, clean it up and get these guys right. He looked back over his shoulder at me and smiled, laughed and then shook his head.

He's a journeyman coach that got paid based on his seniority. He should've been canned with Rhule.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Which is something more common these days given the combination of seeming regression in college coaching for certain positions (OL being one) and the limitations that have been placed on camp, OTAs and practice in general by the last collective bargaining agreement.

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, GOAT said:

This. I can confirm he does not give a rats ass.

I was at the Seattle game sitting on the tunnel after that 8 false start performance and when I saw Campen walking into the tunnel, I looked him right in the eye and said 8 false start is way to fugging many, clean it up and get these guys right. He looked back over his shoulder at me and smiled, laughed and then shook his head.

He's a journeyman coach that got paid based on his seniority. He should've been canned with Rhule.

Lol well there you have it.  He should made a really mad face and agreed with you and then we would know he gave a rats ass.  

• Beer 2

57 minutes ago, GOAT said:

"And then everyone stood and clapped" 🫥