• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is this fanbase not suited for a rookie QB?

BrisbanePanther

6 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Damn you Brock Purdy

Meanwhile, Brock Purdy is starting to look more and more like Mac Jones with each passing week.

Talent matters. Being a "super processor" can only take you so far if you're not physically up to the task.

This is why draft evaluations are so difficult and why there are busts and steals every year. There aren't any cheat codes. Every prospect is his own unique individual evaluation. It isn't just a talent thing. It's isn't just an intelligence thing. It isn't just a mentality thing. It's the combination of it all.

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, ickmule said:

Funny thing, I was right about Cam. The dude was finished and he never played another game where he made a difference and was a fraction of his once very good self. What so many fail to see is, while Cam was extremely athletic, he was not a clutch QB. Did he make the occasional clutch play, yes….but it was never consistent over a period of years.  You can pretend Bryce will be above average someday if you want, but most can see he’s a bust that lacks the physical attributes to last in the NFL. 

When he could use his freakishness he was absolutely clutch. When that ended so did his clutchness. And yes it wasn't always through the air but when he was healthy we always had a chance to win.

Sadly your not wrong about the injury. Running was always a giant part of his game and that was the begining of the end. It was still fun his first game back but that also had to do with how bad everything had gotten and just having fun for a game again.

7 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

or be a rookie like Stroud, who is clearly emerging as a one-of-a-kind, generational rookie QB.

This is where you should have just stopped, and walked away from the keyboard.

If Stroud keeps doing what he's been doing, it'll be an albatross around our neck for years. Our own "28-3" moment.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Growl said:

that’s because as the huddle’s dumbest poster the extent of your football iq extends strictly to “ball go fast” 

btw we all remember you here for that season vomiting the same bad takes up about cam-and over the course of his career-that you are now, you’ve got an enduring legacy as the worst poster on this forum so do me a favor and go back to rage mashing your opinions into the void while the rest of us use our well trained eyes to auto-scroll past anything you say.

lol remember when he debuted some signature line at Belk or something the week after a loss and the board burned down over it

WHY ISN'T HE STUDYING HIS PLAY BOOK

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly think Tepper and his "muh analytics" mindset got sold HARD on the S2 test. He thought there was a legit QB evaluation analytical cheat code. Nevermind that this guy has the build and arm of a HS JV QB. He's a super processor.

It's one of the few legit reasons I can come up with that Stroud was evidently eliminated from the running very early on in the evaluation process.

Without a doubt. Same way Rhule fleeced him out of $60 million. Hedgefund man thinks he can come up with an algorithm to get to the Super Bowl.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Meanwhile, Brock Purdy is starting to look more and more like Mac Jones with each passing week.

Talent matters. Being a "super processor" can only take you so far if you're not physically up to the task.

This is why draft evaluations are so difficult and why there are busts and steals every year. There aren't any cheat codes. Every prospect is his own unique individual evaluation. It isn't just a talent thing. It's isn't just an intelligence thing. It isn't just a mentality thing. It's the combination of it all.

I get that. AR was my pick if we had stayed at 9. Moving up to 1, it had to be Stroud. My biggest fear with AR is exactly what's happened. He tried to run over NFL guys and got hurt. There's no cheat codes, but there's things you have to weigh into the equation. It appears someone may have put way to much stock in S2. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I get that. AR was my pick if we had stayed at 9. Moving up to 1, it had to be Stroud. My biggest fear with AR is exactly what's happened. He tried to run over NFL guys and got hurt. There's no cheat codes, but there's things you have to weigh into the equation. It appears someone may have put way to much stock in S2. 

I really wanted Richardson but also said that interviews could convince me otherwise. I really thought the decision should've been between Stroud and Richardson but convinced myself to be okay with Bryce because I saw the writing on the wall and convinced myself that this very experienced staff wouldn't draft the guy if I was right about him and his talent was truly NFL marginal.

Well, fug.

• Pie 3

7 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Heard this statement on the Unnecessary Bluntness YouTube channel.

I personally am starting to agree with this view. We're looking for a rookie to come in and play like a skilled vet or be a rookie like Stroud, who is clearly emerging as a one-of-a-kind, generational rookie QB.

Maybe we should move in a direction as a franchise--sign FA QBs or trade for vet QBs, know what we're getting, and move along with whatever comes with that. 

I honestly believe this fanbase would be all over someone like Tannehill or Cousins this off-season. Or just extend Dalton. Then trade Bryce to LA, Atlanta, or Minnesota and let him take be whatever he'll become there.

Ask Clausen.

If Bryce were throwing these interceptions on 18 yard patterns where he just hadn't learned how quickly NFL DB's close, no one would be complaining a bit.  That's what NFL rookie QB's have to do.  They have to learn the speed of the game.

Our rookie isn't trying to make those plays.  Forget about the separation argument.  There is 9 inches difference between our receivers average separation and the NFL average.  Throw the ball.  His two pick six interceptions this week were throws within 3 yards of the LOS.  Terrible.

We want to blame the line, and there is some blame there.  But some of that blame MUST fall on Bryce as well.  Watch his footwork as he drops.  He's is very, very lazy - slow - dropping back.  Yes, his eyes are downfield, and that's great, but he takes FOREVER to set his feet to throw.  What he sees isn't important if he isn't ready to throw it.  Windows open and close very quickly.

As a QB with an "average" arm footwork is even MORE important for BY.  He's got to get set in order to maximize what arm he has.

• Pie 3

48 minutes ago, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

lol remember when he debuted some signature line at Belk or something the week after a loss and the board burned down over it

WHY ISN'T HE STUDYING HIS PLAY BOOK

Yeah, MADE. Clothes had a Panther blue trim on the inside regardless of the outside color, so everyone, everywhere was wearing panther colors. Dude was one of the best things to ever happen to this team.

anyways, he put up some real awful stinkers his first couple seasons with a much better supporting cast. I’m as frustrated as anyone by the ways things have gone but Bryce had played well the last four games and that’s with the weekly Ikem ekwonu opening drive, drive-killer sack and the stupid look on Bradley bozeman’s face every time a defender brains him in the pocket 

Edited by Growl

Duncan is first and foremost an optimist.  Second, he's a Bryce apologist.  He has a pretty good football mind and is capable of putting out interesting content.  Apologizing for Bryce and bashing the fanbase for having expectations is not good content though.  His bias is affecting his commentary.

• Pie 1