• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Retooling the offensive approach...

Mr. Scot

13 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Just listened to this, sounds familiar...

Yeah, he's basically Brock Purdy. Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant for a reason.

They're system QBs with limited physical tools who need the right offense and most importantly the ideal surrounding pieces to succeed. If you land a guy like that in the mid to late rounds sweet. But you don't draft a guy like that in the 1st round. The Pats are finding that out the hard way. You sure as hell don't trade a haul to draft a guy like that #1 overall. We're finding that out the very hard way.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They're system QBs with limited physical tools who need the right offense and most importantly the ideal surrounding pieces to succeed. If you land a guy like that in the mid to late rounds sweet. But you don't draft a guy like that in the 1st round. The Pats are finding that out the hard way. You sure as hell don't trade a haul to draft a guy like that #1 overall. We're finding that out the very hard way.

• Pie 1
  • The D 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Couldn’t agree more. I really feel sorry the kid. He could be great in the right system. The Panthers are going to deep-six his career b4 it gets started good.

Edited by Prowler2k18

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, you can do the better weapons excuse for Stroud all you want but if Bryce was on that team he's not even attempting probably half the throws CJ's made, some if he did he'd get picked by lack of velocity alone. I love when people try to pretend like Robert Woods and Nico Collins weren't ass the last 2 years with basically the same offense minus the qb

• Beer 1

We've made too many roster mistakes. We have the wrong collection of players with bad contracts, bad for us, good for them.

1.) Bozeman and Corbett have bad contacts.

2.) Moton is washed up.

3.) Icky is a bust.

That combination of problems has made average pass protection an impossibility, and it's a poor use of resources. Christensen being injured is not helping matters.

Things are so bad with the o-line that it looks like a college line versus a pro defense. Fitt has locked up Bozeman, who looks fat and sloppy, long term. And, in classic Fitt fashion, Corbett was restructured after blowing out his ACL. He playing like poop btw (spoiler).

This is a complete disaster that can't be fixed or even patched up. You could do some things next season out of desperation. You could move Christensen to LT, Icky to LG, and pray that shores up the left side. Honestly you have to throw up your hands in exasperation at this situation. 

We can't pass block. When we finally do execute decent pass blocking, Young throws the ball like he has PTSD mixed with a noodle arm and a side of rookie blunder. This is the worst case scenario.

Our OC is the worst I've ever seen in my life of watching NFL football. I would take any OC over Thomas Brown. Never in my life have I seen so many basic, ill advised, outdated, idiotic play calls in a single game as I did in the Colts and Bears games. No one has ever two games in a row that poorly on offense in modern (after the 5 yard no contact rule) times. If there is a worse OC then you'll have to convince me. "Hey everyone go run a hook route to the first down marker." All of us coach? "Yes." Some of us take a month to run a hook route. "DO IT!" - Thomas Brown.

I am certain Thomas Brown is going to be fired. In fact, if we don't fire him by next season, then I will stop posting on this forum until he's fired.

Oh to get back on topic, we should run play action pass.

Edited by pantherj
  • Flames 1

Committing to the run more would keep opposing defenses a little more honest.  They are teeing off on pass rushing BY and our offensive line has sucked in pass protection all year.

Our o-line is more suited to the run game and having more runs (that have some creativity) would also take some pressure off the o-line when a pass play is called.

These guys are back on their heels trying to cheat to pass protect better - Ickey is the biggest example with all his false starts and take a look at his balance during pass plays, it's terrible.  If they want to continue to be a pass heavy offense he isn't a LT, he's a LG.  If they can balance the run/pass Ickey probably can be the LT, but his confidence is shot at this point.

Our run game is so vanilla it's pathetic, where is the offensive genius of Reich and Brown? 

15 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

It’s gonna have to be offseason, we need fast twitch WRs to pair with Mingo/Thielen

draft someone like Josh Downs, Zay Flowers, Hollywood Brown type 

I hate to say it, but the odds of Mingo panning out are extremely low. He's given every opportunity, just looks really slow out there and still can't run routes, the odds of a player like that improving to be a star are zilch. Just another huge whiff by Fitterer and he needs to be fired yesterday so a new GM can focus on the draft

Edited by amcoolio

20 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

That smith marsette fella has some jets, I’d incorporate him into the mix 

Why can’t he play the shenault role at least? Give him some swing passes and screens. Get our best linemen out on the edge and see what happens. Continuing to drop Bryce back and running long developing slow routes is gonna get someone killed. 

9 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

This is why I get irritated when people say (insert hall of fame QB)  had the same stats as Bryce through their first 9 games. You can find way more examples of failure than success with similar stats but for some reason we get fed only outliers like we are incapable of logical thought. I hope Bryce turns it around but the odds aren’t good and he’s not made really any plays that made me think he’s our guy 3, 5, or  10 years from now. 

19 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

This is why I get irritated when people say (insert hall of fame QB)  had the same stats as Bryce through their first 9 games. You can find way more examples of failure than success with similar stats but for some reason we get fed only outliers like we are incapable of logical thought. I hope Bryce turns it around but the odds aren’t good and he’s not made really any plays that made me think he’s our guy 3, 5, or  10 years from now. 

You can cherry pick stats from great QB's and busts early on that struggle. About all you can really tell is that they are struggling.

The difference is that in years 2, 3, etc the great guys are getting progressively better. The busts(see Darnold, Sam) they don't get any better and sometimes they get worse.

So our answer on Bryce isn't coming in season 1. It's gonna be season 2 and 3 that you find out if this project was worth it at all. If he is fully in the throes of David Carr Battered QB Syndrome, it's over. We either ruined him or it was never gonna work.

Or maybe he gets progressively better like Horseface Sunshine down there in Jacksonville. Maybe he eventually shows an inkling of why people thought he was the best guy(myself included).

We better all REALLY hope it's the latter because the former portends a very lengthy stretch of being an incredibly bad team.

I can tell you this much, I am not gonna be that interested in dedicating Sundays to Panthers football for another 5-7 years of watching is lose most of the time. 

I have done this enough. For all our faults under all these head coaches that never could string together back to back winning seasons, we were never THAT far away from being a winner again. We had talent, we had draft capital, we had SOMETHING to make us hope next year could be a winner again. If we bust with this QB, we are a consistent cellar dweller and we are as overall talent deficient in our core as we are now.......I am not interested in that.

I have said how we look so startlingly similar to the almost 20 year run of Browns futility but without a lot of their early success. I am not going to spend the last third/quarter of my life watching this stupid BS. I'm out.

• Pie 1