• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fitterer is an Absolute Idiot for Not Trading Brian Burns in 2022

Hoenheim

1 hour ago, BIGH2001 said:

Who wants to start a poll on the worst Scott Fitterer decision? 

Some options

1. Declining the rams offer for burns

2. Trading McCaffrey for DJ Johnson

3.  Sending away our only good receiver in a trade for the “franchise” QB

4. Drafting the “franchise” QB over Stroud

5. Drafting Matt Corral over Howell

6. Drafting Mingo and TMJ over basically anyone else at that point in the draft 

7. Reddick

8. Foreman

9. $$ to team cancer, bozo the clown 

10. Wilkes 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, X-Clown said:

Add the Ian Thomas extension

I about threw up in my mouth when I found out he got an extension.  I was calling for us to CUT the dude because he sucked, but no, we rewarded his shoddy play with a sparkling new deal.  We could cut him next year, but with a near $4M cap hit.  Heck, I'd rather him ride the bench then collect $4M to do nothing.

Watch, he will have a few more catches with maybe a TD by the season's end and we will extend him again.  It's the Panthers way.

• Beer 2

2 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

The Rams offered two 1st round picks for this dude?  Seriously? Our team has virtually no pass rush with or without him on the roster. This year has been underwhelming for him. He always dissapears for long stretches of games,  always over shoots his speed rush,  rarely can win with power,  consistently gets washed out in run defense...

We could have kept Wilks, Darnold, CMC, DJ, traded burns, NOT traded up for Bryce.  Drafted Jalen Carter (could you imagine him next to DB in a 4-3?). Wed at least be a halfway decent team now imo. Or would be next year with a qb change. 

What a fuging disaster. Fire this idiot Fiterrer. 

Yep, no more defending Fitterer for me.  I was still 50/50 on him entering the season, but he continues to make poor choices.   Dude is bent on recreating a team in Seattle's image a decade ago over creating the best version of this Panthers' roster.

He's still tainted from Rhule.  When I say tainted, scarred.  I think that's the reason we jumped up to #1 this year knowing all the QBs had question marks.  Stroud probably had the least questions and we passed him up.  Having PTSD from Rhule's poor choices for veteran QBs gave Scott a knee-jerk reaction to a 'must have' rookie QB this season.  It was obvious--painfully obvious-- to me that putting a rookie QB out there with a bunch of JAGS on offense wasn't going to bode well.  To my astonishment, it has been even a worse disaster than I had envisioned.

Bryce may be a one-and-done, but that only happens if a new GM is here.  If Scott some how kisses Tepper's ass and still retains his job, then Bryce will absolutely be our starting QB next season whether he deserves to be or not.

Fitterer is an idiot for a lot of other things, but yes, this was a huge mistake.

Not only is Burns not worth two 1sts + anything (there are only a handful of elite defenders in the game that are) but turning that offer down killed any leverage we may have had in negotiations with Burns.

Once he turned that offer down he essentially backed himself into a corner where he either had to pay Burns whatever he was asking for, trade him for less than what the Rams offered, or let him walk for nothing.

It's amazing to me the talent exodus that has taken place on this team since Fitterer became GM. The sheer number of good, great, or elite players who we have either traded, allowed to leave without much of an effort to re-sign, or released is laughable, especially considering the lack of talent that we've acquired over the same period. Most of the actual impactful talent that we have brought in we then allowed to leave for nothing.

From Haason Reddick to Stephon Gilmore to D.J. Moore to Christian McCaffrey to Rasul Douglas to Denzel Perryman to D'onta Foreman if the list of players we have seen leave this team under Fitterer isn't enough to make you nauseous a list of the players he has spent money and/or draft picks to acquire and/or retain certainly is.

From free agent "additions" like Pat Elfein, Cam Erving, Damien Wilson, Hayden Hurst and Miles Sanders to the trade for Sam Darnold and his miserable draft record that has left us thin at basically every position and has produced almost zero value after round 1 and his contract extensions for the likes of Ian Thomas and Robbie Anderson I can't fathom how this guy still has a job. And that's not even getting into the Bryce Young trade and pick, which certainly isn't trending in the right direction.

The only positive moves his entire tenure has produced are the signings of Frankie Luvu, Austin Corbett, and Adam Thielen and maybe drafting Chuba Hubbard. Jaycee Horn we know is a good player, but that only matters when he's on the field and we could have had Micah Parsons at that pick.

As big of a problem as Frank Reich is, Scott Fitterer has been for longer. It's true that he made yet another in a long list of blunders by turning down the offer for Burns from the Rams, but given his record there's a good chance those picks would have been wasted regardless.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

The only positive moves his entire tenure has produced are the signings of Frankie Luvu, Austin Corbett, and Adam Thielen and maybe drafting Chuba Hubbard. Jaycee Horn we know is a good player, but that only matters when he's on the field and we could have had Micah Parsons at that pick.

The funny thing with Hubbard is that pick was essentially made by Matt Rhule's wife.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

The fact he hasn’t been fired yet shows how close he is with Tepper

For the second time Tepper decided to not fire his GM with the HC and again it’s resulted in another mess

Tepper continues to prove he’s learning nothing 

This. When they showed Tepper shaking his head at the Bears games Fitterer was there just chewing his gum. Didn’t look like a person too worried. 

I think Scott knew he was on a short leash given his shortcomings and Burns was one of the only proven commodities on the team that may have been a piece towards building a winner culture and keeping Scott around a little longer. Unfortunately, we aren’t winning with or without him, and Scott would not be here to make those draft picks from the Rams anyways. I don’t think he was traded for Scott’s own selfish reasons. 

19 minutes ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

I think Scott knew he was on a short leash given his shortcomings and Burns was one of the only proven commodities on the team that may have been a piece towards building a winner culture and keeping Scott around a little longer. Unfortunately, we aren’t winning with or without him, and Scott would not be here to make those draft picks from the Rams anyways. I don’t think he was traded for Scott’s own selfish reasons. 

Absolutely. People either forget or purposefully discount how GMs devalue future picks. A 2024 and 2025 first round pick doesn't mean a whole lot to a GM in 2022 whose seat is warming up.

2 hours ago, OldhamA said:

Agreed.

I do think Burns is playing himself out of a major contract on the open market though - well, unless Fitterer is still here next year and offers him $30m a season over 5 years 'cos he's a moron. 

In a vacuum, I like Burns as a player, I really do. He's just not a game-changer and not in the top-tier due to that and the run defense challenges. I took so much heat this summer for this take but he's been exactly this again this season, and it is what it is.

If he gets a monster contract somewhere then more power to him, but it doesn't need to be in Carolina. Unfortunately, their boneheaded decisions have cost a lot of compensation in return for any potential Burns departure.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

In a vacuum, I like Burns as a player, I really do. He's just not a game-changer and not in the top-tier due to that and the run defense challenges. I took so much heat this summer for this take but he's been exactly this again this season, and it is what it is.

If he gets a monster contract somewhere then more power to him, but it doesn't need to be in Carolina. Unfortunately, their boneheaded decisions have cost a lot of compensation in return for any potential Burns departure.

No opposing coach misses a minute of sleep because of Brian Burns. 

• Beer 1