• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Keyshawn Johnson on live Nat'l tv "I stand on this until I die Frank Reich did not want Bryce Young."

CamWhoaaCam

2 hours ago, ncfan said:

He was the “consensus QB1”

per Ian Rapaport 

per Daniel Jeremiah

per many other’s not on the CarolinaHuddle message board

Heck even per the Guys who Picked your King Stroud.

i know this is hard to wrap around some people small brains around here.

Looks like they were wrong.  Oops.

2 hours ago, tukafan21 said:

The bolded part is EXACTLY why I think, in the end, it's Reich's fault, even if the pick was Tepper's.

If Reich and the rest of the QB gurus on the staff went to Tepper and said, "look, you put us in this position by forcing the trade, you now need to listen to us and take the better QB, and if you don't and force us to take someone who isn't an NFL QB, we're going to quit because it's not what we agreed to come here for"

They do that, and the pick is Stroud, 100% of the time.

It would be the equivalent to holding a gun to Tepper's head and forcing him to take Stroud.  If the brand new HC was willing to quit over taking Bryce over Stroud and the pick only happened because the owner wanted it, he wouldn't be able to sell Bryce to the fans or any future coach to replace Reich.

You think things are bad from a PR standpoint right now, imagine hiring Reich and that all star staff, making the trade for #1, then the staff all quit days after the draft and publicly say it's because the owner forced them to take Bryce over the guy they wanted. 

It would have been unprecedented and no way for Tepper to come back from it, we'd be the red headed step child of the NFL that nobody wanted to coach or play for.

I think Tepper said he wanted Bryce and Reich just went along with it instead of pushing back like he could and should have done.  Threatening to quit over taking Bryce would have made enough of a statement to Tepper that he REALLY wasn't the guy, and Tepper would have relented, I have no doubt in my mind.

Maybe. I doubt that it would have happened like you want simply because those guys are not the types of people to throw a rookie that isn’t a bad kid under the bus like that. Not one of them.    

20 minutes ago, stratocatter said:

Maybe. I doubt that it would have happened like you want simply because those guys are not the types of people to throw a rookie that isn’t a bad kid under the bus like that. Not one of them.    

The point is though, that it would never get to the point of them quitting and throwing Bryce under the bus.

If they went to Tepper with a message that strongly, that Bryce so much isn't the guy that they'd quit over it because they knew Bryce would ruin their careers, that Tepper would have backed off and let them draft Stroud instead.

Which is why in the end, I think the blame lies with Reich, I think him and the staff had enough QB knowledge to get Tepper to let them take Stroud, but they didn't fight for him like they could and should have.

Hell... Tepper is a hedge fund guy, he knows that sometimes you have to make a bold call and go all in behind it.  I think he'd have respected the staff if they did that, that they'd put their jobs immediately on the line to take the guy they believed in.

Edited by tukafan21

I can’t defend Reich at all even though I think he had a bad hand to play.  What I saw when things were no longer practice, had only one defense and that wouldn't fly with me but it was at least a logical position that they could claim. 
The only way I saw an NFL coach putting that on the field as his offense was the owner is in on it all the way. Knowing it was going to fail. 
Some plan where protecting the quarterback comes at the expense of even trying to win. Trying to call a play where he needed some time, was out. Off the wristband.
It made little sense. Basically no sense. But no other explanation did either.  
Frank was allowed to walk away. What you want to bet there is some form of NDA regarding the processor? 

not disputing Key’s personality shortcomings but did not want is absolutely valid as a response or evaluation result. I certainly felt that way. Was begging the voodoo pincushion for help with that.  

Edited by stratocatter

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Who cares? Everyone now knows that Bryce sucks and we are the unlucky team that is stuck with him. My biggest fear is our idiot owner will take this franchise even lower by forcing the new staff to build around a guy who should be holding a clipboard. 

The thing is, even outside of QB we have the worst roster in the NFL. Quite literally every position group needs upgrades. Whether you like it or not Bryce will get another year as the QB. Sure we will be "building around him" this offseason but you can also just look at it as we are building up the entire roster which is BY FAR the worst we have ever had. 

I have some major major red flags with Bryce, but I'm not totally out yet. Did we pick the wrong guy? Yes. Did we pick an absolute bonafide bust? I'm not there yet. If you watched the game yesterday nearly every replay they show there is nowhere to go with the ball. Either that or he's on the ground before he even hits the end of his drop. I'm worried severely about his athleticism and arm strength, but this has been a brutal situation.

Start chipping away at the rest of the roster right now. I made this comparison earlier but when the Lions hired Dan Campbell they had what was easily the leagues worst roster. In three offseasons they've found guys like Penei Sewell, ARSB, Aiden Hutchinson, Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, etc. People have been begging for them to take a QB, but they're currently 8-3 with a roster loaded with young talent. Can Goff ever win an SB there? I'm not sure. But they're in a spot now where they can get aggressive in search of an upgrade there if they feel like that's what they need to take the next step.

We need talent anywhere and everywhere. That's the focus right now. Maybe Bryce shows improvement 12 months from now. If he doesn't, we'll be in line for another top 3 pick which we can use to address our serious talent deficiencies. Maybe bring in some sort of vet as competition as well. 

Is our situation terrible? Of course. But at least we're not the Giants who have committed like hundreds of millions to a straight up bad QB. If Bryce doesn't improve he's cheap so it's easy to get out. 

But right now we just need talent. Any sort of talent.