• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jones on the firing

Mr. Scot

One thing that Tepper needs to take ownership of is that he was very proudly boasting about how they were bringing in a PG of a QB who could spread the ball around lessening the need for true playmakers on offense and freeing up money to be spent elsewhere.

Now he's frustrated and firing people because his PG looks like trash making no mention of the reality that they fully planned on the PG lifting up the rest of the offensive roster. He either came up with this idiotic plan or the GM who came up with it is still in place. Either way, it's ultimately on Tepper.

• Flames 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Many sources were stunned by the move to fire McCown, but another added: "The staff was too big to begin with."

I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it again here.  Anyone who is "stunned" my Josh McCown's firing isn't paying attention.  He was the guy most closely tasked with developing Bryce Young and Young has regressed.  His mechanics are terrible compared to what he put on tape at Bama.

It may be this very thing that's at issue with BY.  We've heard how he's a fast decision maker, but we haven't seen it.  In the NFL your decisions are tied to your mechanics, and BY has not been "ready to throw" at the point decisions need to be made.  This could be why we haven't seen the quick decision making manifest - he's just not ready to deliver when he should be.

I retain a very healthy doubt as to whether BY is an NFL QB, but he'll get another season.  On the other hand it's easy for me to see why McCown wasn't given more time.

Edited by BrianS

Keeping Ekwonu at LT as a project in an RPO offense with no outside help is definitely the answer to getting Young sacked less.

I don't think Tepper or Fitterer want him moved to guard while the NFL whispers are that he's a guard.

They want a HC who can make Young, Hubbard, TMJ, Mingo, Tremble & Ekwonu a championship offensive unit.

1 minute ago, BrianS said:

I've said it elsewhere, I'll say it again here.  Anyone who is "stunned" my Josh McCown's firing isn't paying attention.  He was the guy most closely tasked with developing Bryce Young and Young has regressed.  His mechanics are terrible compared to what he put on tape at Bama.

It may be this very thing that's at issue with BY.  We've heard how he's a fast decision maker, but we haven't seen it.  In the NFL your decisions are tied to your mechanics, and BY has not been "ready to throw" at the point decisions need to be made.  This could be why we haven't seen the quick decision making manifest - he's just not ready to deliver when he should be.

I retain a very healthy doubt as to whether BY is an NFL QB, but he'll get another season.  On the other hand it's easy for me to see why McCown wasn't given more time.

Young's mechanics and fundamentals are awful. But they were awful at Bama too. Everyone just overlooked it because of the results and evidently spent zero time and effort pondering whether or not it would translate at the NFL level. It's bizarre to me how draft prospects (QBs in particular) get nit picked to death leading up to the draft every year but this 5'10" noodle armed guy with horrible footwork gets rubber stamped as a super processor and everyone just overlooked the glaring deficiencies and issues.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, BrianS said:

We haven't seen it because Jesse bates broke him, he 2nd guesses and is scared to let it rip. He is not trusting what he sees on the field, he would rather tuck and run than make a tight throw. 

15 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Went back and watched alot of Bryce at Alabama this past week. What’s clear to me is that he played much faster/looser at Alabama. His instincts were off the charts. In Carolina he looks lost, like he’s thinking and processing too much. Could be all those voices in his ear. Justin Fields complained about this earlier in the year as well. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Carolina attempted to simplify the playbook earlier in the year. When that wasn't the answer, the Panthers continued pulling from the Alabama archives to see what could work.  

Ummm…..this pretty much solidifies that Bryce is a bigger issue than some want to believe. 

3 minutes ago, PootieNunu said:

We haven't seen it because Jesse bates broke him, he 2nd guesses and is scared to let it rip. He is not trusting what he sees on the field, he would rather tuck and run than make a tight throw. 

A lot of truth here. I think he’s be overthinking it since that day. Needs to get back to just playing football. Reminds me of Cam’s first year in New England. Was thinking way too much. 

• Pie 2