• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coaching Matters... Shane Steichan....

TheBigKat

2 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

So let me get this straight, we did't give this man a thorough look because he interviewed funny over ZOOM while his team was in the midst of a playoff/superbowl run?

So he didn't coddle the Billionaires enough to make them feel warm and fuzzy because he was busy game planning for the playoffs?

I am not even touching DeMeco Ryans but what I am saying is, Frank was available for a reason, he had all the time in the world to kiss up and grab his ankles to make the Teppers feel good about themselves. 

Here we have Steichan having his team COMPETE in December, a team that was abysmal under Reich. Now mind you this is mostly the same roster Frank had and considering he is getting the job done with the #4 pick out shows you have horrible Frank and his coaching schemes are

The morale of this story, until there's a president of football to help steer the GM / Coaching search, this new hire will basically be another Appaloosa analyst reporting to the boss

As an NFL fan, all you can really hope for at the minimum is that your team is playing meaningful football in December and the 2023 Coaching Hires

• Jonathan Gannon, Arizona Cardinals- entertaining football and always compete
  • Shane Steichen, Indianapolis Colts- playing meaningful football
  • Sean Payton, Denver Broncos- can't stand him but playing meaningful football
  • DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans- odds on favorite for coach of the year
  • Frank Reich, Carolina Panthers- a dinosaur who's brand of football was as exciting as C-SPAN but more importantly a great "yes sir" company man

I think he was the one that passed on working for the Teppers.

• Pie 1

Steichen was my number 2 after Ben Johnson. Reich was so far down the list simply because I never like hiring retreads, and he was a retread that didn't even have all that much success at his first stop. I will admit I later got on board, talks of "all-star" coaching staff and moving up for a franchise QB, got me. 

2 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

we have the modern day Al Davis except Al friggin won

Well the big difference is Al Davis was a football guy, was a moderately successful HC well before being an owner and was also a successful GM before owning the Raiders. In his older age he got pretty crazy and bad as a GM but much of his career as GM/owner he was actually pretty good. Brought the team 3 Super Bowls with 2 difference HCs...

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, t96 said:

Well the big difference is Al Davis was a football guy, was a moderately successful HC well before being an owner and was also a successful GM before owning the Raiders. In his older age he got pretty crazy and bad as a GM but much of his career as GM/owner he was actually pretty good. Brought the team 3 Super Bowls with 2 difference HCs...

you would think that as a Steelers minority owner Tepepr would have learned from some of the best in the business, he has not

Most of our problems seem to be us course correcting too much in the other direction. Reich is one of the prime examples. 

First we hire Rhule, someone with no NFL experience who hires all his friends basically with little experience to flesh out the staff. So we get enamored with Reich, an experienced former head coach with a clear vision for an experienced and respected coaching staff.

Now take the Bryce pick. We spent 2 years trying out failed qbs from other teams so now we decide to go all in moving up to #1 for our own guy, giving away our next first and our one good offensive skilled player in DJ Moore.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They hire and draft folks who hold a good conversation over a nice meatball dinner. It is what it is.

Yeah its true, I remember all the people making fun of Nick Sirianni cause he had awkward answers at his introductory press conference, same with McDaniels, kind of an awkward dude, but a hell of a coach. Our ownership gets swept away by fluff answers and pretty responses it seems.

1 hour ago, TheBigKat said:

you would think that as a Steelers minority owner Tepepr would have learned from some of the best in the business, he has not

I'd sooner imagine Tepper had a list of everything Pittsburgh did wrong and was intent on showing them the right way to do it when he bought the Panthers.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, Newtcase said:

I'd sooner imagine Tepper had a list of everything Pittsburgh did wrong and was intent on showing them the right way to do it when he bought the Panthers.

He was told to sit down and be quiet several times up there including the time he clamored for them to fire the only coach to not have a losing season ever! I mean if you got impatient with Mike Tomlin, you don't know football in the slightest. All the signs of terrible ownership have been there not the least, eating Ketchup on a $70 cut of steak. Why us?

21 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

He was told to sit down and be quiet several times up there including the time he clamored for them to fire the only coach to not have a losing season ever! I mean if you got impatient with Mike Tomlin, you don't know football in the slightest. All the signs of terrible ownership have been there not the least, eating Ketchup on a $70 cut of steak. Why us?

John Ellis reported that wasnt true so who knows