• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

YOU TELL ME: How would YOU go about realistically fixing this team.

WarPanthers89

I would bench the quarterback for the rest of the year ands tell him he has to win a fair competition for the job if he wants it back, starting right now.  And say to anyone who cares: every other job is also now up for grabs. May the best player win. 

If I get to say these things, Fitterer is gone, so that will help. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Hire Evero as coach (unless Ben Johnson decides he wants to be part of this poo fest).

Clear the roster of all those who have had a chance to prove themselves and haven't (most of them).

Attempt to build a formidable defense that can make us competitive in the short term. 

Roll with Bryce next year and if he continues to show he is not an NFL QB then draft one in 2025.

My Free Agency wish list (probably just a distant dream with most). 

Release/Trade (if another team is stupid enough to give us anything) those out of contract:

Henderson, Houston, Franklin, YGM, Shenault (personally like but our coaches have no idea how to utilise), Williams, Anderson, Marsette, Thurman, Ricci, Sullivan, Ray, McCain.

Retain

Chark, Luvu, Haynes, Burns (tag), K G-H, Chinn (we NEED to utiilise him better, Hill (good depth)

Attempt to sign (OL and Defense priority here). 

Defense Options - Leki Fotu, A.J. Epenesa, Patrick Queen, Leonard Floyd, Michael Pierce, Ronald Darby. All of these guys would walk into the starting defense and give Evero a chance to build something.

OL Options - Pay Tyron Smith, shift Ickey inside and all of a sudden OL looks decent.

WR - Pay Higgins

Draft

BPA, OL, WR.

At this point, I have no hope we become relevant until at least 2026. This coming off-season is enormous for the future of this franchise.

• Pie 1

18 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Technically, if we had a plan, we should have been more active trading players before the deadline--We have no plan, and that is obvious.

OL: The offensive line is about scheme and developing talent more than finding it--Hire coaches to develop young talent-Campen, Ickey has regressed, nothing from Cade Mays.  We need for Mays, Zavala, and Icky to improve.  BC was a third, Zavala was a fourth, Mays was a fifth (going from memory), and Ickey was a first rounder.  Throw in Bozeman, and the pieces are there.  In my mind, the kid from NDSU (Jensen) looked decent last night.  I think we are not as bad as we think-just very young and injured-when the defense rushes 7 because the WRs and TEs suck, it makes the OL look terrible.  Not to say they did not suck, but to say the talent is there.  develop it--since you can't address every need in one offseason.  WR and TE is more important.

Trade Moten.  His $30 m cap figure will only hurt the team.  At 30, he is in his prime for an OL and has value.  Play Christensen at RT.  This will cause some of you to disagree--tough for me to say, but the cap is real.

Sign a top free agent RG

Tip:  Stop waiting until the end of the play clock and allowing the RG to signal to the C when to snap the ball.  Just a hunch, but that pretty much helps the defense.

Tag Burns.  If you can get two firsts for him, Fitterer, do it this time.

Lock up DT Brown for the long term.  He is getting better and his price will only go up.  He is 25, I believe. 

At WR, move Theilen to the slot, Mingo (rookie contract) become the fourth.  Sign a stud free agent and draft a WR with pick 33.  In the draft, WR is going to be deep; take advantage of that.  LSU’s Brian Thomas Jr., Ohio State’s Emeka Egbuka and South Carolina’s Xavier Legette, along with the Texas duo of Xavier Worthy and Adonai Mitchell, all could be in play, and all arguably have first round talent.  Legett is my favorite, playing is worse conditions and he is a big-bodied #1.  Trust SC receivers in the NFL.

There are no first round talented corners in this draft, but the depth is really good.  with the third round selection, take the best CB.  Jackson and Horn are in the tent more than on the field.  Henderson is not effective.  We need a CB who can play.

I also think we should consider drafting a QB in this draft because there are some very solid developmental QBs who should be there after the big two from USC and UNC are gone (Bears, Patriots, probably) early.  LSU’s Jayden Daniels, Oregon’s Bo Nix, and Washington’s Michael Penix Jr. — three with top-50 grades — are out of eligibility, other potential top picks like Colorado’s Shedeur Sanders, Michigan’s J.J. McCarthy, and Texas’ Quinn Ewers have a big decision still on their hands.   That means there are potentially 8 QBs who could go in the first 50 picks.  The Panthers could make a trade and move up to grab a player like Nix or Penix--giving them options and depth at QB.

Luvu has been good, but he is not an ILB-I hope we sign him back.  I also think Chinn needs to go to OLB--he has been the most misused player. 

Here is a wild hair--sign Cam Newton--as a TE.  He will be 33 and has a few years in him?  Wild thought, but he is an athlete and we need his leadership.

The New Orleans Saints disagree with this statement! The Panthers have around 50 Million In projected cap space next season.... (no longer carrying 56m in dead space like this year)

Screenshot_20231212_053442_Chrome.jpg

To fix things you watch Stroud, Levis and see how they play and win games. See how they have  nfl arm talent and can throw for over 300 yards and win games. You then realize you chose someone over them that isn't remotely capable of that. You then realize the catastrophe mistake and instead of grooming the mistake you move on from it.

• Flames 1

Honestly, to save this franchise, we start the process of replacing Bryce right now.

Step 1. Bring in Veteran Starting QB. Open up "QB competition."

Will it look bad that we're going into year 2 with our #1 overall in a competition for the starting job? Maybe. On paper possibly, but at this point, I think everyone around the league acknowledges that Bryce isn't going to be our future starter. It might be bad optics for a couple of weeks, but really, we're such a joke at this point, would it even make headlines? It doesn't matter, though. The competition is the farce; it's just to get Bryce out of the driver's seat so we can slowly start to get him to fade into the background, and when we ultimately cut him (or hopefully trade him to a competent franchise for a sixth rounder), it barely makes waves.

Step 2. Stop making moves.

Clearly every move we've made has just dug ourselves in deeper. Our moves to horde draft picks have yielded duds. And the talent we've traded away has not been replaced. So we need to take a break from hording picks, being in on every deal, and selling off our talented players. Because here is where you end up: talentless.

Here's my controversial take; I still don't disagree with passing on 2 firsts for Burns. He's a moderately good DE, who is not worth the money he's demanding. He's not a lynch-pin you built a defense around. But the good news is that was on full display this year, so he's in much worse bargaining position this year. Everyone saw he's not worth Bosa money, so no one is going to offer it to him. And frankly, he's a guy we should hold onto, because when we start to right the ship, and we're winning games, his mood is going to improve, and he's the kind of player you are glad you have on your team when you're a contender.

Step 3. Build the F***ING O-LINE.

I feel like I've been a broken record on this since the Gettleman era. Everything starts with the O-Line. It keeps your QB healthy. It gives your WRs time to get open. It keeps drives alive. It gives your defense a rest. If you don't have an O-Line, you do not have an NFL football team. Period. The end. Use our remaining draft picks. Use our FA dollars. Build a stout line of actual NFL caliber linemen.

Step 4. Take a flyer on a late round or UDFA QB.

We don't have the capital to draft a marquis name QB for the next several years. Nor should we. And going back to Step 2, we shouldn't try to. Because rolling the dice on an early round QB again is just another year neglecting glaring holes in the O-Line and skill positions. And the emergence of no-names like Purdy, Browning and DeVito as starting-caliber QBs with next to no investment made in them should show that there is talent to be mined later in the draft. And if they have the tools around them to be successful they can be. So, if you're going to roll the dice on a rookie QB, in my book, it makes a lot more sense to spend less. Because look what our #1 overall, consensus best QB in the draft is doing for us. If nothing comes from him? We didn't give up much. And if we strike gold, people will forget the name Bryce Young as easily as they did Trey Lance.

TL;DR - We need to start putting ourselves in a position to build a more talent-rich team, and rid ourselves of Bryce in a way that allows the egomaniacal idiots involved to save face.

I would focus on getting offensive talent around the QB position.  Maybe even trade away some of our defensive talent, since its completely wasted on this garbage offense.  If Bryce doesn't play better next year with improved WRs, TE, and a better line, then we have a decent foundation for the next guy to come in.

I wouldn't be concerned with building the defense when we don't even have an NFL level offense.  I'd worry about that once we have a franchise QB in place and an actual window to win.

On 12/11/2023 at 9:01 AM, WarPanthers89 said:

This isn’t a bad approach. Realistically you could sign one top FA WR, and get some help at guard and we could go back to Wilks Ball in 2024. Unfortunately we can’t touch Sanders for another season, and changing up our blocking scheme would do wonders. Play offense based on power run and play action. 

After 2 decades of Fox/Rivera ball, I'd rather rip the band aid off and at least get an offense that resembles something from this century. If that means moving on from O lineman that can't pass protect, so be it.

It's way too early, but for some fun why not. Go after a few winning free agents to bring some anticipation back. Bring back a couple vet players from Panthers past for depth & leadership. Trade down & trade some players to get 12 to 15 draft picks. Load up on players with NFL pedigree who will be ready mentally & fundamentally for the NFL (especially WRs who can learn quickly from Thielen). QB competition all season long. QB WHO WINS IN THE CLUTCH (4Q/RED ZONE) STAYS IN!

Tag & trade Burns

Trade Miles Sanders, TMJ, Chuba Hubbard, Ian Thomas, Tommy Tremble, Xavier Woods, DJ Johnson for whatever is given in draft picks.

New contract for Chinn

QB Bryce Young (because you made me), Aqeel Glass, Jack Coan, Sam Hartman(R), Taulia Tagovailoa(R)

RB Donovan Edwards(R), Ameer Abdullah(FA), Ezra Gray

WR Adam Thielen, Moose Muhammad III(R), Oronde Gadsen Jr(R), Jonathan Mingo, Luke McCaffrey(R), Jequez Ezzard, Sage Surratt, Dee Anderson, Josh Vann

TE Ben Sinnott(R), Zach Kuntz, Bryson Nesbit(R)

LT: LaDarius Henderson(R) LG: Ikem Ekwonu OC: Bradley Bozeman RG: Brady Christensen RT: Taylor Moton. OL Austin Corbett, Cade Mays, Roger Rosengarten(R)

35 Defense...

DL: Derrick Brown, Christian Wilkins(FA), Jer'Zhan Newton(R), Kris Jenkins Jr(R), Shy Tuttle

LB: Shaq Thompson, Jeremy Chinn, Frankie Luvu, AJ Klein(FA), David Mayo(FA)

EDGE: Laiatu Latu(R), Bralen Trice(R), Adisa Isaac(R), Amare Barno

CB: Jaycee Horn, Stephon Gilmore(FA) Donte Jackson, Troy Hill, Storm Duck(R)

S: Von Bell, Sam Franklin, Miles Killebrew(FA), Malachi Moore(R)

K: Pineiro P: Hekker LS: Jensen

Returners: Vann, Ezzard, Abdullah, Gray

Have fun with it...