• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wouldn’t you rather just have Christian McCaffery, DJ Moore…

1 minute ago, Bear Hands said:

A multitude of bad decisions led to the self inflicted tear down of our post-Cam rebuild around CMC..we could easily be where the 49ers are now.

First off, we kept Rivera (& Hurney) too long 

Hired Rhule and gave him Belicheck level control. And he obviously had no idea how to utilize CMC and build around him and DJ. 

We had the parts…then hired people that didn’t know how to build with them. They made it an endless, frantic, needy QB search instead and countless reaches for RAS stars..not who worked best for the team with a distinct vision in mind. 

It’s been endless chaos all trying to force a QB rather than build a team.

The degree of compounding errors has been insane... And it all comes down to Tepper's impatience. From moving on from Cam to Teddy to Darnold (and the extension) ... To Mayfield... To Bryce...

The total compensation in dollars and draft picks we've spent on QBs since Tepper is deeply depressing 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

McCaffrey probably privately requested a trade and he’s in the ideal place for his career. They should NOT have traded DJ Moore, especially when drafting a rookie QB. I said it the day they traded for the #1 overall pick, you need to have solid receivers around a rookie QB. I can’t believe Fitterer still has a job. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, LegioX said:

I just find it funny CMC was on the sidelines with us most of the time injured. Now he is in MVP consideration with the 9ers and hasn’t missed 1 game? We are truly a cursed franchise.

He was never hurt where he couldn't come back later in the season but since the team was so bad the thinking was why bring him back to get more hits on his body when it's a lost season. If the team was any good or making the playoffs best believe he wouldn't have missed as many games. Just look at the injurys he had.

• Beer 2

3 hours ago, LegioX said:

I just find it funny CMC was on the sidelines with us most of the time injured. Now he is in MVP consideration with the 9ers and hasn’t missed 1 game? We are truly a cursed franchise.

I always thought we put CMC on a shelf when we knew we were out of it. I think 2020 he had a legit injury but there was no chance we’d risk injury for a few weeks when we were basically out. In 2021, he just missed a few weeks before he came back and we shelved him again after Miami beat the snot out of us.

If we were 7-5 instead of 5-7, he likely toughs out the 2021 season. Same with 2020 end of season. Since he became the starter in SF, they are 24-5 so not surprisingly, he’s played in games dinged up. Dinged up gets you IR for a RB on a 5-11/5-12 team.

17 minutes ago, hepcat said:

McCaffrey probably privately requested a trade and he’s in the ideal place for his career. They should NOT have traded DJ Moore, especially when drafting a rookie QB. I said it the day they traded for the #1 overall pick, you need to have solid receivers around a rookie QB. I can’t believe Fitterer still has a job. 

That's always been my suspicion.  About 4-5 games into Rhule, you could see the weird disconnect and I've always figured he wanted out.

Rhule barely even spoke about him and you saw very little interaction between the two.  And they never even spoke of eachother in interviews much.  And this was when he should have been the centerpiece of the team.  

I just wish we got a bit more, value received just never checked out for me.

• Beer 1

Does this mean that Rhule is fired after year 2 and SF is flushed with him?

How can any of us pretend Tepper's people are going to build angthing good or start coaching like the best in the leauge and even the Bears regardless of what is on the roster?

CMC was getting ran into the ground and withheld due to Rhule's need to try and save himself. That trade was terrible value with our desd cap hit but also a mercy to him. It absolutely would have ended badly by now under the people in control. Trading Moore was just idiotic and further proof of how bad they all are at their jobs. The rest is just more out of control incompetence from the clown show Tepper brought to town.

I actually get keeping Hurney and Ron 1 year as a new owner. I didn't like it but it made sense. I am guessing where that 3-4 switch came from given the recent history. That is twice now they have pretended to be able to pull off that switch in a year. It never ends. Well I guess there isn't much talent left to piss away anymore.

3 hours ago, HardcoreHokie said:

Nobody wants to risk their health and career for a *potential* 6-win team.

Would you have pushed hard to recover from injury when Rhule was your coach? And that it would all be for nothing?

Can't blame the guy for making business decisions.

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

That's always been my suspicion.  About 4-5 games into Rhule, you could see the weird disconnect and I've always figured he wanted out.

Rhule barely even spoke about him and you saw very little interaction between the two.  And they never even spoke of eachother in interviews much.  And this was when he should have been the centerpiece of the team.  

I just wish we got a bit more, value received just never checked out for me.

From what Cam said about having to “coach the coach” I’d suspect that CMC knew Rhule was a clown as well. It’s funny that in 2021 once Cam was back that CMC was back on the field again. 

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. YAC kings. Brock Purdy is who he is in large part because of the best YAC duo in the NFL in CMC and Deebo. Little is one of the best YAC TEs too.

This is a media narrative that needs to be killed off.  Purdy doesn't get significantly more YAC than any of the top 10 QB's.  Here's a quick table:

image.png.90e62f2b53b9b0acff8efd08bac963dc.png

Purdy gets 32 fewer yards per game from YAC than Mahomes does . . . and no one is remotely saying Mahomes benefits overly from YAC.  Purdy gets 18 yards per game more than the LEAST YAC - closer to the bottom than the top!

The other thing that then pops off the page is that Purdy has thrown far fewer passes per game than the rest of this crew.  So with fewer attempts and YAC differences largely irrelevant Purdy has put up top 10 yardage numbers.  The only remaining answer is that Purdy throws it farther downfield than these other guys.  Yep, Air Yards per completion checks out.  The only guy who throws it farther is Stroud.

The truth is that Purdy is a top QB this year.  Maybe it doesn't last.  Maybe the situation in SF changes.  Anything can happen.  But credit where credit is due.  The guy has played exceptional football this year as a whole.

Bonus round, because we're the cursed fan base of the Carolina Panthers:

If Stroud had played 16 games this year, his line would be - 4393 yards on 342 completions out of 541 attempts.  Yes, CJ Stroud would be the second leading yardage QB in the league.

Edited by BrianS
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, parker said:

Almost everyone wanted CMC to be traded because of his injury history.  Now it's all about how stupid it was.  That's the way this board works.  It's very knee jerk reaction and drama.

I mean, I think we should of traded Brian Burns this offseason.  That doesn't mean I would be happy with just any trade.  And what they then did with those resources and after would be relevant.  That's the CMC issue. 

I had no issue w/ trading CMC.  If we were going to rebuild.  A highly paid win now RB is a tradeable asset for a ground up rebuilding team.  But they didn't get what they should of for him....and then this brain trust has done nothing but piss away our resources for nothing.  Then claimed were are a win now team.  And then instead of acquiring a solid do everything RB for cheap....they then overpaid a one dimensional meh RB. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, parker said:

Almost everyone wanted CMC to be traded because of his injury history.  Now it's all about how stupid it was.  That's the way this board works.  It's very knee jerk reaction and drama.

There were a number of people that were against trading him. Most of those people also were against how much we used him and they wanted a change of pace back like Foreman to actually share carries with which more than likely would have kept CMC much more fresh. We had them both together but our coaches at the time were too stupid to use Foreman at all and just wanted to run McCaffrey into the ground.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

A multitude of bad decisions led to the self inflicted tear down of our post-Cam rebuild around CMC..we could easily be where the 49ers are now.

First off, we kept Rivera (& Hurney) too long 

Hired Rhule and gave him Belicheck level control. And he obviously had no idea how to utilize CMC and build around him and DJ. 

We had the parts…then hired people that didn’t know how to build with them. They made it an endless, frantic, needy QB search instead and countless reaches for RAS stars..not who worked best for the team with a distinct vision in mind. 

It’s been endless chaos all trying to force a QB rather than build a team.

I still think the rebuild fell into our laps.   They botched it.  I think Cam should of played out his final year but let's just accept they moved on to Teddy.   

Now imagine, they simply drafted the QB that fell into their laps.  Justin Fields.  They never then needed to trade DJ or CMC.  And we have all the picks we burned through on the QB issue to invest in making the team better.  Imagine Fields with DJ (we see that now) and then add CMC. 

I mean, even if you don't love Fields.  We probably are an exciting to watch (maybe frustrating) team that is way better than what we got now.  

I mean, let's say you hate Justin Fields. Fine.  But the obvious rebuild and that fell in our laps has us way better and more entertaining.   And at the end of of it, maybe the roster legitimately is just a QB away if Fields proved not to be the guy at the end of it.  

• Pie 3