• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers have blocked Jaguars’ request to interview DC Ejiro Evero for Jacksonville’s coordinator job; plan to interview him for HC job.

I would much rather have a defensive minded HC like Ejiro Evero if he decides to go with an offense that establishes the run 1st &  willing to ground & pound the ball alot more on offense & all at the same time benefiting our strength which is currently our defense as the time of possession would be more favorable than passing the ball the majority of the time in a wCO..just saying 

Edited by bandu

I imagine we're doing this while we interview to see (a) how he interviews for us a second time as HC and (b) if any of these HC candidates would want to include him in their plans.  

If no go for both, then we'll let him go and he'll likely find a good gig.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

NO THEY WEREN'T.

Our defense was bottom five in the one category that matters:  Points Allowed.

Great, they were fourth in yards allowed.  How many games did we win because we didn't allow many yards?  Oh, that's right.  NONE.

Had our defense been ACTUAL top 5 - allowing 18 ppg - we would have won an additional 5 games and tied another.  We'd have been 7-9-1.  You know, competitive.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't lay all the blame at Evero's feet.  There were plenty of circumstances which led to a poor defensive performance.  I'd be happy for him to be our DC next season to see if he really can build something.

As far as "what more does he have to prove" . . . that's easy.  I'd like to see him build and maintain a top 10 defense for 3 years.  As a defensive coordinator, Evero has *never* led a top 10 defense.  That'd be a nice start

Cool story bro.

• Flames 1

On 1/10/2024 at 1:53 PM, CRA said:

end of the day, it just sucks for Ejiro.  Panthers preventing him from being looked at early.  DC jobs that he might want and likely get hired for will fill.  He will be stuck choosing from the leftover gigs. 

When you sign on to deal with Tepper and the atrocious Panthers, I think it’s safe to say now you either wanted money or your career is on the downswing.

No one comes here for a chance to win a ring or build anything. It’s sad.

1 hour ago, BrianS said:

NO THEY WEREN'T.

Our defense was bottom five in the one category that matters:  Points Allowed.

Great, they were fourth in yards allowed.  How many games did we win because we didn't allow many yards?  Oh, that's right.  NONE.

Had our defense been ACTUAL top 5 - allowing 18 ppg - we would have won an additional 5 games and tied another.  We'd have been 7-9-1.  You know, competitive.

As I've said elsewhere, I don't lay all the blame at Evero's feet.  There were plenty of circumstances which led to a poor defensive performance.  I'd be happy for him to be our DC next season to see if he really can build something.

As far as "what more does he have to prove" . . . that's easy.  I'd like to see him build and maintain a top 10 defense for 3 years.  As a defensive coordinator, Evero has *never* led a top 10 defense.  That'd be a nice start

I am not disagreeing with you, but one of the problems with stats is that they can be misleading.  

The Yard totals can be misleading, as can the points allowed.  For example, if an offense gets the ball at the 25, goes backwards, then punts from the 15, the opposing offense is already starting with a significant advantage.  If they score, the yardage total might be less than a normal drive, but the points will still be scored.  And the score would be at least partially on the offense.  

IMO, I think the defense played well enough to keep us in some games we might not have been in otherwise.  But when we played a team with a balanced offense (Dallas, Miami, etc...) we struggled a lot.  Our defense wasn't good, but I thought given the huge numbers of injuries (at one point more than any team in the NFL), they were better than they should have been.  Our defense played well enough in several games that even an average offensive performance would have given us a victory.  But they certainly weren't the 85 Bears, or even close to it.  

• Beer 2

8 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I am not disagreeing with you, but one of the problems with stats is that they can be misleading.  

The Yard totals can be misleading, as can the points allowed.  For example, if an offense gets the ball at the 25, goes backwards, then punts from the 15, the opposing offense is already starting with a significant advantage.  If they score, the yardage total might be less than a normal drive, but the points will still be scored.  And the score would be at least partially on the offense.  

IMO, I think the defense played well enough to keep us in some games we might not have been in otherwise.  But when we played a team with a balanced offense (Dallas, Miami, etc...) we struggled a lot.  Our defense wasn't good, but I thought given the huge numbers of injuries (at one point more than any team in the NFL), they were better than they should have been.  Our defense played well enough in several games that even an average offensive performance would have given us a victory.  But they certainly weren't the 85 Bears, or even close to it.  

I don't disagree.  I do find it curious how many times we chose to go for it on 4th and XX when we employ one of the best punters in the league.  The fact we gave up so few yards and so many points sort of indicate that we didn't really play our cards right a lot of the time.

Still, our red zone defense was not good either.  We were 27th in RZ defense, giving up scores 63% of the time.

As I said, I'm not "Evero Out" . . . I think he deserves a chance to show us what he can do.  However, I'm also not one who thinks we should be talking about a guy with two total years of coordinator experience as our next head coach either.

• Beer 1

On 1/11/2024 at 3:21 AM, scpanther22 said:

Terrible offense makes a defense look worse than what it usually is

It depends on the static, and how its framed.

For instance, sometimes they call a defense "The #1 defense" based on yards allowed. Sometimes, that's because the offense is always putting them in really bad situations and not many yards are needed to score a TD or FG.

More often than not, the "#1 ranked pass defense" usually sucks. This is because their rush defense is dead last in the league and teams don't bother to throw on them. Less attempts of being thrown on lead to less yards given up and less TDs given up through the air. It skews the statistics that way quite often.

A terrible offense DOES make a defense look much worse often, too. Constantly turning the ball over before the defense can catch their breath after making 4th down stops and then have to go back on the field with little time in-between can gas them really bad.