• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alabama QBs are the new Ohio State QBs

TN05

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It comes down to consistency with Hurts. Seems like every time I watch him he either looks like an MVP or a guy who needs to be benched and nothing in between.

If he can't beat Baker and the Bucs then I might start getting concerned.

I wasn't a believer either until he played his best game vs Mahomes on the biggest stage. Kind of strange how he has fell off though.

• Pie 2

15 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

If he can't beat Baker and the Bucs then I might start getting concerned.

I wasn't a believer either until he played his best game vs Mahomes on the biggest stage. Kind of strange how he has fell off though.

If they lose to the Bucs it's gonna be ugly. But I wouldn't be shocked. I would honestly expect them to lose to any playoff team not the Bucs. They have backed into the playoffs hard.

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The loaded teams just make it a much harder evaluation IMO. You gotta try to envision what this guy would look like if the talent surrounding him wasn't hands down better than the opposition week in and week out and that's tough.

Sure you look at team talent vs competition for any player. Lance was dominating at NDSU but playing teams with far less talent for example. It’s tough to predict. People are getting paid millions to get it wrong most of the time…

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Sure you look at team talent vs competition for any player. Lance was dominating at NDSU but playing teams with far less talent for example. It’s tough to predict. People are getting paid millions to get it wrong most of the time…

I was really intrigued by Lance and then I watched that last game he played. I was like, wait... what? That's The Golden Calf of Bristol against lesser competition.

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was really intrigued by Lance and then I watched that last game he played. I was like, wait... what? That's The Golden Calf of Bristol against lesser competition.

When he went to the Niners I thought he would go well. Once they moved on from him after what they gave up I knew he was done. 

• Beer 1

The irony of the OSU qb argument being more true for most of the recent Bama QBs is not lost on me.

Hurts isn't a flop and neither is Tua.  The question is if either can play at a high enough level consistently to push their team over the top.  I suspect Hurts can, but I don't think Tua can.

A good player is a good player.  A bad player is a bad player.

People put way too much stock in the school someone played for.  The fact is it isn't easy playing QB in the NFL.  The only reason you can think of so many Alabama and Ohio State QB busts is because they put so many QBs in the NFL in the first place (which makes sense because they get the best prospects out of HS).  No school is consistently churning out great NFL QBs.

Edited by Mage
  • Pie 5

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

QBs coming from dominant programs warrant a lot of extra scrutiny. They're enjoying a huge advantage that they won't have at the next level. Namely that their surrounding talent won't be head and shoulders better than the opposing team's week in and week out. 

Life long Buckeyes fan and this is why i'm unusually skeptical on OSU QB's and was not a supporter of Stroud for this reason. But watching him in the pros makes me wonder how shtty of a coach Ryan Day is... watching him in college he just never seemed to have that dawg in him except in his final game in BCS... Bryce was just a 5th round flyer from the git go...my first pick was Richardson then Stroud...   c'est la vie

Edited by Johnstonny
  • Pie 1

10 hours ago, TN05 said:

Mac Jones, Tua, Bryce, Jalen Hurts... all of them looking like flops. 

Also

Jalen Hurts went to the Super Bowl last year and is only 25 years old.

Tua isn't perfect, but he's coming off two strong seasons.  Yeah, he benefits from the talent around him, but most of the top QBs have high-end talent around them.  Also only 25 years old.  

Those two are the furthest thing from being "flops".  

11 hours ago, TN05 said:

Mac Jones, Tua, Bryce, Jalen Hurts... all of them looking like flops. Mac is terrible, Bryce looked like the worst QB in the league, and Tua has one of the best amounts of talent in the league behind him and can't get anywhere in the playoffs.

We got fleeced by a school that repeatedly pumps out limited prospects

Tua and Hurts are definitely not flops. They belong in the league. The others listed I have my serious doubts including our Bryce Young.

Hurts is pretty damn good he's just been streaky and clearly misses having Steichen calling plays. He was a big part of their success last season clearly.

I agree about Tua and Bryce though. Looking like they're both fools gold.

You can say Tua did this and that in the regular season but he folded like a lawn chair in the playoffs with one if the league's most talented offenses. Meh.

Edited by frankw