• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeff Howe swaps Young and Stroud

Mr. Scot

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

They both had terrible OL play. Washington's was worse IMO, but they were also hampered by Bieniemy completely abandoning the run for huge swaths of practically every game.

Pocket time doesn’t tell the whole story though. Or Dak is on par with Howell. You can’t lean on it to argue one point and dismiss it for another.

The biggest difference I see in Houston and us is Slowik has Houston fully prepared and in sync. Stroud knows where he is going with the ball, his check downs are ready and his WRs are getting separation all with plenty YAC. Slowik, Stroud, and that offense are in sync. It’s also the same offense they run in GB for Love. It’s a young QBs best friend which helps build confidence and when you do that for a talent like Stroud you have him crushing it right now. 

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Pocket time is a key indicator, nothing more nothing less. Just like completion percentage is a key indicator of passing accuracy but doesn't tell the full story. No single metric ever tells a full story.

Exactly. If you are saying Young and Stroud had equal OL play because of pocket time, then Dak and Howell had the same OL play. Everyone knows this is not the case…

A big revisionist nothing burger of an article. FYI, Houston's receivers corps was ranked DEAD LAST by PFF coming into the season. Now folks are Texans have better pieces around Stroud? What are they smoking? 

Face it, Stroud is the QB of every coach's dreams. He elevates his receivers and helps them reach their full potential, whereas Bryce would make Amari Cooper look like a 6th round pick.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I think we would probably win 6-8 games with Stroud. No playoffs but Stroud probably still wins OROY here. 

I rather, doubt it, TBH.

I would think more likely that we are still less than 6 wins.

But, the Texans with Young aren't likely to be a playoff team either.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. We are bad enough that all the rookie QB flaws would be amplified and also Stroud is clearly the better long term NFL prospect.

• Pie 1

Chark showed he can be a playmaker when Bryce actually throws him the ball (or somewhere in his general vicinity as Bryce’s accuracy prevented him from actually throwing good passes very often). If we had Stroud I think people would be talking about our receiving corps being surprisingly good after low expectations (like the narrative about the Texans). Thielen would have been similar but Chark would have had a huge leap with someone competent throwing him the ball and maybe even Mingo would have had more production.

The run game would have been better because the defenses would have actually had to defend the whole field. 

The OL wouldn’t have the narrative around it because when they did hold up most of the time, more often the play would have had a positive result and led to fewer 3rd and longs which allowed the defense to get sacks and stops at a higher rate. 

Everything trickles down into place better with better QB play. Same can be said of playcalling, but the former was worse than the latter for us this year. 

The NFC south was terrible with Stroud the panthers win the division and are in the playoffs and reich is coach of the year candidate.  Stroud looks like a once every 5 or 10 year talent at qb.  young looks like an undrafted rookie if texans took him they are 3 wins and trying to run every play.

6 hours ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

A big revisionist nothing burger of an article. FYI, Houston's receivers corps was ranked DEAD LAST by PFF coming into the season. Now folks are Texans have better pieces around Stroud? What are they smoking? 

Face it, Stroud is the QB of every coach's dreams. He elevates his receivers and helps them reach their full potential, whereas Bryce would make Amari Cooper look like a 6th round pick.

Pre-rankings by PFF or anyone else don't mean a thing, and never have.

10 hours ago, GhostOfDocAnderson said:

Makes me wonder how thielens stats would have been this year with even an average qb. 

Pretty sure Stroud took a weak roster and made them better. In his first year. WR numbers were up with him throwing to them. 

Seriously, who can Young elevate? He needs to be elevated. That is the difference, I think it is a large gap.

Young. It is always going to come back to people overlook his arm strength needing a big accommodation.  I came into the year doubting he could make up for it and he has done little to ease any concerns. 

Every time I see a QB flip it 40 yards without trying, I get the blues. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

Stroud is a beast, but the Panthers are the worst team in the worst position for a very long time. To think he would look even mediocre on this team is pure denial of how awful this franchise is...or dare I say, "copium". Bryce's performance made him an easy mark that allows the cope to continue too. That's not to say Bryce would be good at Houston because there's a huge chance that he wouldn't, but it's a certainty that Chicago still has this year's #1 if Stroud is in Charlotte. Carolina is that bad of a franchise, down to the last layer of dirt the stadium sits on. To think otherwise is pure cope.

The coping and excuses for the Panthers is way too strong. Destroy them and start over. 

And yes, I am completely down on this team and will stay down until they can have at least three consecutive winning seasons with playoff appearances.

And yep, I'm also intentionally trying to wear the term "cope" out.