• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales Hire Temperature Gauge

How do you feel about the Canales Hire?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canales Hire?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Indifferent

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

My big concern here Is that what everybody knew we needed was a guy who could/would tell David Tepper to butt out of this hiring decisions.

Canales is arguably the guy with the least leverage of any candidate to do that.

Canales seems to be a Dan Morgan hire.  As President/GM it would fall on Morgan more than the coach to try to have the owner back off.  

My gut likes the hire because our GM and new HC seem to be close and on the same page. 

I am indifferent because we were BURNED beyond belief last off-season with the “more years of coaching experience than America has been a country” sales campaign. 

1 minute ago, Nate Dogg said:

What do y’all think about this? Idk much about him at all. Why is he considered a good offensive mind? 

IMG_3925.jpeg

Numbers don't tell the whole story. They also had position changes and new faces on OL, a QB we jettisoned mid-season, no running game to speak of, a head coach on the hot seat, and yet they won the division for 3rd straight time, and got a playoff victory. Most folks had them picked to finish last in the NFC South.

• Pie 3

I have to wait and see. We need players. I am not going to pretend that I know what to do. Like some people in charge,that think they are the experts. I do know what I like. Physical football,that teams hate to play and can get a 4th and 1. 

3 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

What do y’all think about this? Idk much about him at all. Why is he considered a good offensive mind? 

IMG_3925.jpeg

On one hand it gives you pause. On the other hand he was in the playoffs and won one game while nearly pulling off another with that same offense.

At the bare minimum that's what we are looking for.

• Pie 2

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

Brother all we gave him was time and each time we were worse off for it. All his wheeling and dealing only amounted to the darkest days in the history of our franchise.

If you gave him the benefit of the doubt and tons of rope there's no reason to not at least give Canales a season to show us something.

Never said I wouldn't.

What I actually have said is that I'm more concerned about the process than the hire itself. It feels like we're making some of the same mistakes again.

I'm also concerned that Canales might be the guy with the least leverage to tell David Tepper to shove off when it comes to influencing his decisions.

I'll absolutely give him a chance. Hell, I gave Matt Rhule a chance.

But I had concerns at that time, and I have them now.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Never said I wouldn't.

What I actually have said is that I'm more concerned about the process than the hire itself. It feels like we're making some of the same mistakes again.

I'm also concerned that Canales might be the guy with the least leverage to tell David Tepper to shove off when it comes to influencing his decisions.

I'll absolutely give him a chance. Hell, I gave Matt Rhule a chance.

But I had concerns at that time, and I have them now.

I understand and share this sentiment.

Of course if the largest concern is whether or not he will tell Tepper to kick rocks we could have said the same thing about any of the other coordinators and basically anyone not named Harbaugh Vrabel or Belichick.

The hope at this point is it is Dan Morgan steering this hire. We'll see.

Edited by frankw

For what it’s worth. The Bucs offense passed the eye test to me. Baker had a great year, Mike Evans had a good bounce back year, White was a top RB in fantasy, Godwin was solid. Lastly, they won and went to the playoffs and won there too. I’d like to see some offensive ranking splits from like the last 5 weeks of the regular season and see where they rank. In my mind the offense was way better than those numbers show.

• Pie 1