• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

When the draft started I really wanted Stroud. And didn’t want Young. But I have to say Fans need to chill the fug out. Dude got creamed every time he took the field and survived.  Young had complete dogshit protection from his Oline. Had an old slot receiver as his ONLY reliable target. With Tommy freaking Tremble as his only other real option. And Chubba (a legit #2 rb)to lean on to take pressure off the rookie.          

lets get the kid some protection and weapons before we make any decisions  on other QBs…                             

Edited by La Pantera
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 1

hey just because the 49ers had traded up a kings ransom up in  the 2021 NFL draft  in order to select Trey Lance #3 overall  then that still didn't stop them from drafting Brock Purdy  the following season with the 262nd pick in the 2022 NFL draft.so yeah that right there is a great example of why you should want to draft a plan B in case plan A doesn't work out...just saying

• Beer 1

34 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Look, I know that you're probably right about an investment in a QB (hence the title), but I still don't like it.

I mean, no one should like it. But it just is what it is.

Also, we had Young insurance last year. Andy Dalton. But, we used him one fuging game.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

27 minutes ago, Steelo said:

There are some guys down the board that are gaining traction from the draft analyst types. Michael Pratt out of Tulane is one of them.  Depending on how the offseason goes, if hes BPA in the 4th/5th I think it's a wise investment.  IF anything you have a backup when Dalton moves on after the season.  He has enough tools to push someone during camp. 

Sure. Sounds like a winning idea but we will not do that. Watch. 

They are all in on this QB. Funny that as an investment banker Tepper is making a classic investor blunder in doubling down on a bad bet. But, I guess Young is just a "distressed asset." 

Too bad we aren’t getting any bailouts.

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I mean, no one should like it. But it just is what it is.

Also, we had Young insurance last year. Andy Dalton. But, we used him one fuging game.

That should tell you everything you need to know.

I don't look as an old Band-Aid as insurance, just a backup to Nowhere. We're not going to really achieve anything awesome by letting a retread lead a team that's in the process of trying to rebuild and establish a franchise QB. 

Edited by top dawg

10 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

When the draft started I really wanted Stroud. And didn’t want Young. But I have to say Fans need to chill the fug out. Dude got creamed every time he took the field and survived.  Young had complete dogshit protection from his Oline. Had an old slot receiver as his ONLY reliable target. With Tommy freaking Tremble as his only other real option. And Chubba (a legit #2 rb)to lean on to take pressure off the rookie.          

lets get the kid some protection and weapons before we make any decisions  on other QBs…                             

I would agree if I wasn't able to look at Young in a vacuum...bad mechanics, questionable power, weak-ish velocity, so-so athleticism, terrible pocket presence and awful decision-making. 

I'm not gonna lie, it looks like we were sold a bill of goods. Him being a rookie, to me, is his only saving grace. 

28 minutes ago, top dawg said:

But y'all are just assuming that a high pick in 2025 is going to get it done, while skipping an ultimately more talented guy in 2024. Don't be surprised if it isn't 2026 or 27 until we draft someone that's worth a damn, and that's if we aren't in QB purgatory and likely have to spend draft capital and important players to move up again. 

You have 2 great prospects in this draft, Williams and Maye and they will be gone before we draft. Last year Daniels, Penix, and Nix weren’t 1st rounders so they stayed. Nix and Pennix are like 6 year seniors who weren’t nearly as successful before they transferred to the Pac 12. McCarthy looks ok, but he is just as physically limited as Young just a little taller. There is no guarantee in any draft class. The last loaded class had Lawrence (who hasn’t lived up to his hype yet), Wilson (bust), Lance (bust), Fields (probably getting traded), and Mac (also might get traded). Assuming that whichever drops to 33 is the answer is an extremely bold assumption, especially throwing them into our offense with one less asset to use to help it. 

• Pie 1

You don't need to draft a guy to have Young insurance. I really don't think Bryce can beat out Dalton yet. If it's going that bad then sit Young, let Dalton play some in the middle and then play Young again at the end. That is likely a top 10 pick anyways and very well could be a top 5 easily because it's not like Dalton can last an entire year. Just break up the suck, give Young yet another opportunity late and just go draft a QB with NFL physical ability or sign something better in free agency. 

If Bryce is near as bad as he was in 23 then it's hard to justify playing him the entire year if they are actually trying to build something here if he is playing that poorly. If we did have a WR that could improve how would we know if it's 23ish Young again? Young isn't the only guy who needs to be evaluated and to improve and there is 16 games of film. If he isn't growing by week 6 to 8 then it's a real long shot it will ever happen. 

• Beer 1

If he doesn’t improve we just need to let him be our Jimmy Clausen and give the new HC a freebie season.   Last thing we need is some long time not good enough vet getting us to 6 pointless wins.  We need talent.  

I’d be cool spending our 3rd on a QB that falls….pending he never sees the field.  Because that’s just going to likely ruin his odds too. 

• Beer 2

30 minutes ago, La Pantera said:

This

• Beer 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Ricky Spanish said:

There is no reason to spend even more draft capital or money on ANOTHER QB when we are not 1 QB away from being competitive.

We stick with Young one more year.

Also, I don't think he's as much of a lost cause as you seem to. His decision-making is not as bad as you say, he actually learned throughout the season (Case in point the 2nd Falcons game where he bated Bates on numerous throws so he wouldn't get picked again) and his escapability got better as the season went on and he got used to the game speed of the NFL. The line played like crap, receivers played like crap, the scheme was crap, no one looked good.

It's a big fat N/A for damn near everyone on offense, but no, the backup plan should be the backup QB, which is Dalton, who is a damn good backup and we don't need to waste more assets on another.

If Young shows no improvement next season then we move on and draft a new QB in 2025.

Right. In that scenario we’d have a high draft pick to get one. This year spending  picks and capital on Oline  and skill positions is too important.

It’ll give Bryce his best chance to succeed and if not the QB we take high in 2025 will benefit from those same things. If Bryce isn’t the guy he’ll be our Clausen 2.0 and walk us into a high pick