• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

31 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

They weren’t. 
They got NFL open enough. 
There were FAR more wildly inaccurate passes than drops.

Bold: Yes, please go look at Cam’s years with bad OL and no weapons other than Olsen (that’s every single year after Smitty left). Even at the worst point Cam was 100x better than Bryce. One of those years he was MVP, with only the benefit of a mediocre LT rather than an atrocious one being a difference. Still a bad OL.  Three of those years we were legit SB contenders.  With a terrible HC and the worst OC to ever coordinate in the NFL. 

I am fully with you on Bryce being nowhere near the player Cam is but 2014 was really the only year the OL was wholly atrocious, and even then they had Norwelll and Turner both come on by the end of the season.

That said, I have little doubt that even rookie Cam would have dragged this 2023 team to more wins this season.

Edited by KSpan

25 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

They weren’t. 
They got NFL open enough. 
There were FAR more wildly inaccurate passes than drops.

Bold: Yes, please go look at Cam’s years with bad OL and no weapons other than Olsen (that’s every single year after Smitty left). Even at the worst point Cam was 100x better than Bryce. One of those years he was MVP, with only the benefit of a mediocre LT rather than an atrocious one being a difference. Still a bad OL.  Three of those years we were legit SB contenders.  With a terrible HC and the worst OC to ever coordinate in the NFL. 

Just to add a little context around this . . . our top 3 receivers averaged 2.7 yards of separation this year.  Was it the best or even close?  No, not really.  However, here's a list of some receivers with 2.6 to 2.8 yards of separation on the year:

Davante Adams, Terry McLaurin, Odell Beckham, Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Romeo Doubs, Jakobi Meyers, DJ Moore, Tyler Lockett, Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis.

Having 2.7ish yards of separation didn't stop those guys from being good to great receivers this year.  Our receivers were NFL open.  End of story.  I'm not arguing they were great.  I'm not saying they shouldn't or couldn't do better.  But their separation was not an issue that should be considered when talking about our QB.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Just to add a little context around this . . . our top 3 receivers averaged 2.7 yards of separation this year.  Was it the best or even close?  No, not really.  However, here's a list of some receivers with 2.6 to 2.8 yards of separation on the year:

Davante Adams, Terry McLaurin, Odell Beckham, Justin Jefferson, CeeDee Lamb, Romeo Doubs, Jakobi Meyers, DJ Moore, Tyler Lockett, Stefon Diggs, Gabe Davis.

Having 2.7ish yards of separation didn't stop those guys from being good to great receivers this year.  Our receivers were NFL open.  End of story.  I'm not arguing they were great.  I'm not saying they shouldn't or couldn't do better.  But their separation was not an issue that should be considered when talking about our QB.

Thanks for this, I was just going off what I personally saw, but assuming those stats are correct it perfectly illustrates how our receivers were good enough. Not great, but good enough. 

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Get a couple of lineman, preferably an LT and a guard, a WR1 and a pass catcher at TE, and that's absolutely enough for Bryce to work with and evaluate as to whether he's legit or a bust. Not to mention better schemes and play calls. No way we're waiting until after 2025 if Bryce doesn't show anything in 2024. That would be managerial malfeasance.

That is completely reasonable for a full rebuild - it happens all the time and is the standard for this scenario.  We are much further away from the Playoffs than a few linemen and pass catchers.  We are installing yet another completely new offense and possibly defense.  At the moment we are thin at TE, OLine, WR, DLine, CB, EDGE, and possibly RB.  There is not enough high caliber talent available nor do we have the draft capitol or cap to afford fixing it all.  We have to hit at least 3 starters in this draft and we don't even have a 1st rounder.  I literally watched 2 analysts today who said we are 2025 before we really know about Bryce.  You can't just fix the offense and ignore the defense, so what you said won't be likely possible.  I never said we won't know anything - I said he won't be top 10 because we cannot afford to fix enough around him in 1 season given our situation.  He will be markedly better - but he won't be a top 10 most likely

10 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Most of those guys get that separation while commanding the attention of the defense. Meanwhile you can stick a warm body on our non-Thielen receivers and they're taken out of the play.

2 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Here we go again with these ridiculous takes on Bryce Young. It's embarrassing that someone has to convince you that he has an NFL caliber arm. Like what the actual fug?!

He ain't Cam but he's far from Chad Pennington. Goofy.

Can you name any QB that you watched this season that had less arm strength than young?

2 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Can you name any QB that you watched this season that had less arm strength than young?

Bryce Young is bottom 5 in terms of arm talent/strength in terms of NFL starters. 

1 minute ago, Basbear said:

I could start with NE, but I think that's irrelevant. The point being made is that he doesn't have an NFL arm. If every other QB in the NFL has an "NFL arm", then even if he's at the bottom (like dead last), he still has an NFL caliber arm. He can make every throw needed. Every single one. That's NFL caliber. Some folk are dying on that "he can't make NFL throws" hill, and that's just not true. It isn't. My man definitely has issues. But arm strength ain't one of them.

• Pie 1